It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.E.F. (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) AdBlue in EU and Australia causing dropping diesel prices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Working in the trucking industry on a regional basis, I have noticed significant drops in Diesel prices first in British Columbia, then in Washington State.

One explanation I've been offered is the mandatory use of DEF in new Class 8 diesel trucks and apparently in diesel cars.

Here's a general explanation on how DEF works:

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently, for smaller trucks, like pick-ups 20 gallons will suffice for about 6000 miles, per one site, with a cost of $37 for a 2.5 gallon jug. (U.S.)

Obviously, much more is consumed in tractor-trailer units. This is an added expense and is apparently causing a drop in diesel powered cars and small trucks, at least in my region.

As a result, diesel prices are now slightly lower than gas prices!! At one point, as the over-all prices were crashing due to Fracking/shale technology, a major truck-stop chain was selling diesel at a dollar a gallon higher than gas.

Six months later, the overall prices have climbed with diesel dropping to below gas prices.

My question is, is this a regional thing? World-wide? Is it likely to continue for the long term?

I'm inclined to buy a diesel unit that is the year earlier than DEF equipped. This would give the benefit of both lower diesel prices and increased resale value of a non-DEF equipped vehicle.

Thoughte?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I had a diesel BMW with the DEF equipment and loved it! Until the dreaded check engine light came on.... Seeing how I live in California, there is no way I could pass a smog inspection with that light, so I proceeded to try and fix it. After spending a $1000 with no luck, and the next part costing approx $3000, I got rid of the car. The DEF is a joke, and it will make rocks in your emission system, costing umpteen $'s. Other than that horror story, I would definitely buy a diesel if it didn't have the DEF system installed. Even with diesel fuel prices higher than gas, you get so much more fuel economy per mile, and no power loss. Just hope with your new old diesel car/truck, the state doesn't mandate a retroactive upgrade to the DEF system like my state is trying to enact.
As far as diesel prices go, I always saw a decrease in diesel prices when the gas prices was going up, but I saw the diesel prices staying up when the gas prices was going down. On the high side it would be at or above premium prices, and the low would be at or below regular prices. If I lived in a different state, I would seriously look at another diesel car without the DEF system!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: freakdaddy70

Interesting.

I'm inclined to blame some of that expense on BMW. Not exactly an inexpensive car to maintain...

The owner of the trucking company I work for leased 10 units with the DEF. I suspect any glitches will be absorbed by the leasing company.

That might be a route to go with diesel cars, as well. Lease them and let the owning company worry about the fixes.

I'm wondering if these new 'low' diesel prices are designed to attract diesel car/truck buyers with a jump back to previous levels down the road when the purchasers are stuck with the re-increased prices.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
From what I understand, and I have worked on several diesel Mercedes and BMW( im a mechanic for high end european cars), the ad blue fluid does nothing for gas mileage, it is purely for emissions, and making your exhaust not smell like stinky diesel. The exhaust addons like the diesel particulate filter, which is like another catalytic converter in your exhaust are obscenely expensive when they fail, the NO2 sensors for the emissions are obscenely expensive(no they arent oxygen sensors, more like 'sniffers'), all to just reduce smell and emissions. Also, a 2.5 Gallon jug of it in the us is 22$

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
ugh lol I remember dealing with that stuff when Audi first started making the diesel Q7. That stuff smelled nasty and dried incredibly quick when spilled on the floor. Anyway yea it was only for emissions and nothing to do with gas mileage.

Audi tech 1998-2012

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. I have 15000 miles on the truck and I've only used 10 gallons of DEF. the truck gets 22 mpg On the highway when unloaded And 16 when pulling 10000 or so pounds.

Now to the question. I've been told that during the winter months demand for diesel goes up as does the price because people use it to heat with. I don't believe it. I think they jack the price up because the trucks have got to run. I wish I knew why the price is not so high and different than gas now. Sorry I guess I didn't answer anything.
edit on 31-5-2015 by rockledr because: Big fingers little keyboard

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rockledr

Depending on where one lives in the U.S., 'winter' diesel requires more refining(?). In cold conditions, diesel 'gels' and develops wax, (paraffin) this plugs fuel filters and gives one a bad hair day.

Big trucks run almost as much in the summer, idling, as in the winter, it gets damn hot in the summer and as OTR drivers sleep in their rigs, AC requires the power plant to run.

The 'north-east' uses 'fuel-oil' for heating, this is produced from what in the summer would go to gas and diesel. A cold NE winter drives up the demand for that fuel oil which in turn drives up the cost for gas and diesel as well.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I agree with your whole post. I just moved from northern NY a out an hour north of Syracuse. Lots of people use heating oil. The winters do get bad. My truck has a fuel heater to stop the gel and bad days. Like I said before I have heard the increase in demand for heating oil as the culprit. I have seen the huge price differences in several states some worse than others. West Virginia being one of the worst. I think it's because they can. As you know the trucks won't stop because diesel is expensive they will still run.

top topics

join