It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female soccer players sit on sidelines amid protest by Islamic high school team

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, there were Muslims here, however you have to understand some things about that. Those Muslims were Moors on the Spanish ships. But they did not leave their language nor culture as an imprint on what was to come later. There were also Sephardi Jews, and I descend from them.

Yes, the slave trade brought a lot of African Muslims here, and yet neither did they continue to speak Arabic and neither did they keep practicing Islam.

But I suppose now we are going to hear how the Native American tribes were really Muslims from North Africa....no, they were not.

There are very many people of African descent who cannot trace their ancestry. And yes, I agree that they were Muslims from West Africa, however, many of them also still held their Animism religion, hence, Voodoun (Voo Doo) and Santeria.

But they did not continue to speak the language and neither did they build mosques in 1865. But until the slave trade ended for the US, slaves were from a lot of places. The Irish were slaves first, sold by....guess who...Moroccan Muslims. And the Moroccan Barbary Coast pirates were the largest slave network in the 1500s-1800s.

Barbary Coast pirates

We simply won't pay the tribute. Stephen Decatur beat them badly.

I don't think we would want to talk about that, though. But the slave trade wasn't just West African slaves, because the Irish, Scots, Roma and East Indians were also slaves, into the US, Caribbean and North Africa.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, there were Muslims here, however you have to understand some things about that. Those Muslims were Moors on the Spanish ships. But they did not leave their language nor culture as an imprint on what was to come later. There were also Sephardi Jews, and I descend from them.

Yes, the slave trade brought a lot of African Muslims here, and yet neither did they continue to speak Arabic and neither did they keep practicing Islam.

But I suppose now we are going to hear how the Native American tribes were really Muslims from North Africa....no, they were not.

There are very many people of African descent who cannot trace their ancestry. And yes, I agree that they were Muslims from West Africa, however, many of them also still held their Animism religion, hence, Voodoun (Voo Doo) and Santeria.

But they did not continue to speak the language and neither did they build mosques in 1865. But until the slave trade ended for the US, slaves were from a lot of places. The Irish were slaves first, sold by....guess who...Moroccan Muslims. And the Moroccan Barbary Coast pirates were the largest slave network in the 1500s-1800s.

Barbary Coast pirates

We simply won't pay the tribute. Stephen Decatur beat them badly.

I don't think we would want to talk about that, though. But the slave trade wasn't just West African slaves, because the Irish, Scots, Roma and East Indians were also slaves, into the US, Caribbean and North Africa.

What are you even talking about? Did you not read my links? Or anything else I said? The majority of slaves weren't Moors and didn't even come from Moorish lands. The "Gold Coast" is where the majority of the North America's slaves came from, which is modern day Benin, Togo, Ghana, and Nigeria. And the majority of South America's slaves came from further south, particularly modern day Angola. The Gold Coast countries have had Islam for nearly a millennium.

And to be Muslim doesn't mean you have to speak Arabic. And I didn't say anything about most slaves being Muslims, nor anything about Native Americans being Muslims, nor anything about Africans being the only slaves. I said that 15-30% of the imported African slaves were Muslims and that is true. So you're responding to points I didn't even make.

And for the record, many of us can't trace our lineage because our names, cultures, and languages were legally stripped from us. One side of my family had the resources to research the various plantations, their financial records, and the records of the different traders and auction blocks that sold my ancestors. We even know which countries they came from. But most African Americans don't have access to that stuff yet.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Are you seriously saying that Islam dictates that a man can not have a discussion with a woman other than a wife or close family member without being tempted into 'illegal' activities?

It was dictated to me that if I did dope, then I would jump off a building and die. That never happened.

It was dictated to me that if I looked at a comic book, then I would go insane. The jury is still out on that one.

ETA

There was a fairly big list. I can't remember what the direct and immediate consequences were for:

Hearing Jazz music, playing pool, touching poker cards, going into a theater, dancing.
edit on 1-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I haven't read much of what has been posted on this thread other than the first page, so sorry if I am ignoring any good discussion happening above. However, from what I got from the article is that they refused to compete against the other team due to religious convictions.

I wrestle for my school's varsity team and I go to a private Christian school. We compete mainly against the public schools in the area, and although it isn't common, on occasion another team will have a girl wrestler. Due to the school's policy, which I haven't looked into much but just have gone along with, we are not allowed to wrestle another girl if representing the school and must forfeit. It happened about three times this past year and maybe once the year before if I remember correctly.

Now, soccer is a contact sport by nature, but nothing nearly as close as wrestling is. The short conversations I've had with my coach about the issue is that we choose not to due to the sheer nature of the issue, beating up a girl. There wasn't really any religious reason that I remember him saying, there may be one, but this whole incident with the soccer game got me thinking about what my school does and if it is different at all compared to what the muslim students did. So to an extent I've realized that segregation of sexes can have its time and place, bathrooms come into mind there, but I have heard of some people who are pushing to even abolish that. Just like with wrestle and with soccer, there are different degrees of rational behind segregation of sex, and in the end it all comes down to perspective and opinions.I think theres is wrong, but people may think my view of wrestling girls is wrong, while some may view it is right and some may view it is right to segregate all sports. Interesting things to think about, another social grey area.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: Freeborn

Are you seriously saying that Islam dictates that a man can not have a discussion with a woman other than a wife or close family member without being tempted into 'illegal' activities?

It was dictated to me that if I did dope, then I would jump off a building and die. That never happened.

It was dictated to me that if I looked at a comic book, then I would go insane. The jury is still out on that one.

ETA

There was a fairly big list. I can't remember what the direct and immediate consequences were for:

Hearing Jazz music, playing pool, touching poker cards, going into a theater, dancing.

Oh, was there are protest against Guys and Dolls?

Seems luck wasn't so much a lady.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
ah islam, the only religion of peace where treating women like dogs is acceptable.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
ah islam, the only religion of peace where treating women like dogs is acceptable.

Here's an American Catholic school in Arizona in 2012:
HS Baseball Team Refuses To Play Against A Girl; Forfeits Championship Game

Why One School's Boys Baseball Team Won't Play Against Girls

And Here's a sect of Judaism that wears Burkas:
en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe you should read the thread before making blanket BS statements.

edit on 2-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I was just reminiscing on what I heard as a four and five year old kid in my small town church. I don't know where the minister guy was from. He seemed to know a lot about big bad city life though.

Speaking of luck:

The first time I went into a movie theater was when I was 12. I was spending the night at my best friend's house. We snuck out and went to Sand Pebbles. Half way thru we decided the movie was a bit too grown up for us to properly appreciate so we went out and climbed a hill across the street to smoke cigarettes. It was a dark night!

We were sitting there in the dark in the middle of the path up the hill when a man came lurching up to us carrying something that had a bit of a rattle to it. I thought it was a crutch.

All incoherent like, he was demanding to know where something or somebody was. My friend said, "Hey man, we don't know nothing. We're just sitting here having a smoke." Then the incoherent man lurched on down the path.

Five minutes later another man came running up the path, "Hey, did you guys see a guy carrying a shotgun come by here?" he asked.

"Don't know about a shotgun, but yeah, a guy went down the path here carrying something." I said.

"That's my brother," the man said, "He's stoned out of his head, and determined to kill somebody. You guys are lucky!"

The minister used to say that whenever you did something bad then your guardian angel would leave you to your doom. I don't believe much of anything that guy said anymore.

edit on 2-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
BREAKING:

Today, Religious people were playing a game when God suddenly
told them STOP.

...more on the five o'clock report

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rival
BREAKING:

Today, Religious people were playing a game when God suddenly
told them STOP.

...more on the five o'clock report

Isn't that what happens when a game is canceled by a storm or is postponed from rain delays?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I didn't think it was possible, but ISeekThruth's replies here, and this thread in general, makes me have even less respect for Islam than I did before. Islam - a religion that has absolutely zero reason or right to exist in the modern world. Burn it to the ground.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I applaud the coach from ISNA. I would've done the samething. Best to lose a game than to lose the team's manhood and honor. LOL

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mulder85
I didn't think it was possible, but ISeekThruth's replies here, and this thread in general, makes me have even less respect for Islam than I did before. Islam - a religion that has absolutely zero reason or right to exist in the modern world. Burn it to the ground.

Wow, that sure sounds like ISIS logic to me. They're the ones who burned the person in a cage right? Or does it sound more like the Americans who burned & hung black people during our struggle for equality? Or like the Nazis when they literally incinerated people in their death camps?

Sorry, but all extremism sounds the same to me. So you'll have to explain to me how your comments are any different.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Gianfar

No, it's way beyond that. If a man rapes a woman the woman is attacked for it, even though she had no choice.

I was referring to the cultural clash and moral ideologies in context with family values, not the common thread of abuse which involves male and female stereotypes we find in all cultures.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: mulder85

Wow, that sure sounds like ISIS logic to me. They're the ones who burned the person in a cage right? Or does it sound more like the Americans who burned & hung black people during our struggle for equality? Or like the Nazis when they literally incinerated people in their death camps?

Sorry, but all extremism sounds the same to me. So you'll have to explain to me how your comments are any different.

That's a very succinct article of truth and I commend you for it.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

a reply to: WarminIndy

I was just reminiscing on what I heard as a four and five year old kid in my small town church. I don't know where the minister guy was from. He seemed to know a lot about big bad city life though.

Speaking of luck:

The first time I went into a movie theater was when I was 12. I was spending the night at my best friend's house. We snuck out and went to Sand Pebbles. Half way thru we decided the movie was a bit too grown up for us to properly appreciate so we went out and climbed a hill across the street to smoke cigarettes. It was a dark night!

We were sitting there in the dark in the middle of the path up the hill when a man came lurching up to us carrying something that had a bit of a rattle to it. I thought it was a crutch.

All incoherent like, he was demanding to know where something or somebody was. My friend said, "Hey man, we don't know nothing. We're just sitting here having a smoke." Then the incoherent man lurched on down the path.

Five minutes later another man came running up the path, "Hey, did you guys see a guy carrying a shotgun come by here?" he asked.

"Don't know about a shotgun, but yeah, a guy went down the path here carrying something." I said.

"That's my brother," the man said, "He's stoned out of his head, and determined to kill somebody. You guys are lucky!"

The minister used to say that whenever you did something bad then your guardian angel would leave you to your doom. I don't believe much of anything that guy said anymore.

Why would you assume that you weren't saved by the incoherence of a stoner?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I'm thinking that my mistaking a shotgun pointed at me for a crutch had everything to do with it. If I had known it was a shotgun, I would have freeked out and probably been blown away, rather than just calmly responding to his questions.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm thinking that my mistaking a shotgun pointed at me for a crutch had everything to do with it. If I had known it was a shotgun, I would have freeked out and probably been blown away, rather than just calmly responding to his questions.

Then it was your calmness that determined fate. Are you sure the stoner knew you were there?

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Are you sure the stoner knew you were there?

Fairly certain, based on observing that he was moving up the path, appeared to notice our presence, and then he stopped to make inquiry of us. It is reasonable to conclude that he did know we were there.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join