It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female soccer players sit on sidelines amid protest by Islamic high school team

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Carla Briscoe was “in shock” when the all-male players of a rival high school soccer team raised concerns about playing against members of the opposite sex.
The rival team, from a private Islamic high school, raised the issue during a half-time break and offered to forfeit the game rather than continue playing against a team with girls on it.

This sad incident involved a private Islamic High School from Mississauga (a suburb of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.

The girls involved, rather than allow the opposing team to forfeit...because they needed a victory with a large goal differential in order to move forward in the playoffs...decided to sit out the second half. The score at the half was 3-1, for Robert F. Hall High School...the final score was 6-1.

The Islamic High School did the noble thing, I suppose, in offering to forfeit the game...rather than insisting that the females be prevented from playing. Having said that, I think it is unfortunate that the female players (at least one of which was good enough to be a starter on a boy's High School soccer team) were deprived of their enjoyment of playing the rest of the game.

I wonder if the Islamic High School will decide to withdraw from all intercollegiate sports, now knowing that females are eligible to play against them.

Islamic School Players Refuse to Play if Girls Allowed

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

God Facepalms as the humans completely miss the message to manifest love and tolerance towards all brothers and sisters that share this rock and instead F### it up - monumentally.....again.

Why - just give me one reason anyone with a brain would adopt this thought-process of segregation of the sexes? Are the little boys afraid that the sudden rush of blood from one head to the other will not be pleasing to God? Or are they afraid they might slide-tackle a female and get her pregnant as a consequence?

TELL ME - Someone, anyone............and please make sure logic and reality form the basis of any answer. We are all born with either a penis or a vagina - both of which serve a combined purpose your mum and dad perfected at least once.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

They knew the inclusive rules. If you're on a competing team do you not at least read about all who you will be facing? They knew they would come up against girls at some point. Each one of them with religious objection decided to join the team anyway.

They were noble in offering forfeit? No, they weren't... as the team they were facing needed points not just a win. The girl was noble sacrificing her own stats for the good of the team.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Kick them out of the league for refusing to compete and generally being a joke.

Simples.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
it's pretty cut and dry to me. the all boy's were getting thier asses handed to them and by half time had probably had enough, thier coach would have been highly pissed about the situation and was likely copping abuse by the highly agitated and offended parents.
guy would have been looking for anyway out, and well we get what we have here, which is the way they want it, well they get it. I dont like it any more than you men!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

They knew the inclusive rules. If you're on a competing team do you not at least read about all who you will be facing? They knew they would come up against girls at some point. Each one of them with religious objection decided to join the team anyway.

They were noble in offering forfeit? No, they weren't... as the team they were facing needed points not just a win. The girl was noble sacrificing her own stats for the good of the team.

It was more noble than the alternative which was to cite religious freedom and try to force the other teams to compete on their terms. That seems to be the pattern for so-called victim or grievance groups in this country. If you object to something the larger group around you is doing, try to force everyone else to do it your way because you have surely been the victim of oppression. This is better. It is live and let live. They found a compromise that allowed them to keep their religious beliefs intact.

What? Would you have the league go to court now to force them to play against women or leave the league so the girls' feelings aren't hurt? That is the way of society as I have explained.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The little sissies couldn't stand to be beaten by girls!! End of story.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They are a private school, they can join a different league.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

And if this is how they choose to handle it, why get your nose all bent out of shape? It's their choice, and they're the ones who are going to pretty much lose every game they play against girls because they're playing at a disadvantage.

Again I ask you:

Would you prefer they try to force the league to comply with them, or do you want the league to force them to comply?

It seems to me they have a compromise in this they are willing to accept and no one gets hurt. So what's your problem?

Would it be different somehow if they were a public school?

edit on 31-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Simples.

This. ^^^

Canada is not an Islamic country.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: skalla

Simples.

This. ^^^

Canada is not an Islamic country.

Where were they demanding everyone else comply with Islamic rules?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Looks like the status quo wins again.

I would have taken the forfeit and defended my girls right to play regardless if they were willing to sit out. That coach has wet spaghetti for a backbone.

What a bunch of nonsense.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Looks like the status quo wins again.

I would have taken the forfeit and defended my girls right to play regardless if they were willing to sit out. That coach has wet spaghetti for a backbone.

What a bunch of nonsense.

And that's exactly what you do. It's the compromise. They don't want to play girls, so they offer to forfeit or sit out. If you want your girls to play, you let them sit it out. The girls at least get the practice. If that doesn't matter, you take the forfeit.

No one is being forced to comply with Islam, and if they don't learn to adapt, they're going to have a seriously embarrassing record really quickly.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
They were scared of the girls. I cannot say I blame them.

Growing up I played outside linebacker and the team who had won the last 2 championships had a female running back. This girl was a beast. I used to hate trying to smash her up because I would end up with prints on my jersey from where she ran over me. She was awesome.

It is a shame these boys acted as stupid as they did.
edit on 31-5-2015 by LoverBoy because: spelling

edit on 31-5-2015 by LoverBoy because: spelling on this tablet...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No one is being forced to comply with Islam, and if they don't learn to adapt, they're going to have a seriously embarrassing record really quickly.

On the contrary, it is happening. I would say this very incident is an example of complying with Islam. Robert F. Hall needed the goals to advance and unfortunately "the game" took precedency over good moral judgment and fairness. I respect Islam, BUT, there is no equality from their standpoint. Keep it behind your own borders or learn to compromise within ours. Tolerance trumps religious entitlement and unfortunately for ISNA, the ROPSSAA constitution trumps the Qur'an, lol.

Robert F. Hall ultimately defeated ISNA 6-1, but both teams made it to Thursday’s semi-finals. The former beat Mentor College and will play Ascension of Our Lord Secondary School, which conquered ISNA.

Now THAT is funny!

Respectfully...

edit on 31-5-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Okay I'll give you the logical reasoning behind it.

The Quran says that a Muslim should guard their modesty. Now never mind actually playing soccer in a mixed gender environment, even if a Muslim male for example were to look at a female, as in to glare at her when she has no relation to him whatsoever - the mind is automatically filled with indecent thoughts, and the potential for these thought to manifest in the mind has been initiated.

So the moment a Muslim male looks at a female (that is unrelated to him), he should lower his gaze to guard his modesty and prevent indecent thoughts manifesting in the mind that could lead to 'other things'.

And if any heterosexual man says that he can look at a women and nothing happens to him internally then he is deluded and requires a Psychiatrist. Continuing to look at a women will trigger an effect that leads to illegal sexual activities.

Muslims believe that doing this from the onset prevents all the illegal sexual activities that can take place, and guards the modesty of all Muslims so that they may enter legal marriages pure. It reduces unnecessary abortion, infidelity, promiscuity.

How does this fit in with the situation we have here? Well it's obvious the Muslim footballers cannot continually lower their gaze as they play the game for health and safety reasons, as well as it being impractical to win the game.

By lower the gaze and segregating the sexes, it act as a deterrent to illegal sexual activities and relations, they reduce the risks of the dangers that I mentioned, by taking action as early as possible. I am sure this does not just occur in Islam.

Whether this logic makes sense to you or not, and whether you agree with it or not that is your problem, this is Islam and Muslims will adhere to it.

You spoke about 'Penis and vagina' they serve a combined purpose... thank you for that Captain Obvious.

Nobody said otherwise, except for the homosexuals, you can do that under the prescribed conditions, and taking the correct path through marriage and staying away from illegal activities like I have mentioned.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
1st, this is a cultural issue, not a religious issue. The interpretation they're following is not the norm in Islam. Otherwise, you'd see issues like this all over America & Canada.

And 2nd, I don't have a problem with this. If the team is stupid enough to forfeit, then they deserve to lose. They knew the rules of that league when they agreed to join it. So they'll either adapt or keep losing.

3rd, for the record, this isn't a Muslim problem. It's a male problem. Here's a similar incident that happened in Arizona in 2012. And it involved a Catholic school!

HS Baseball Team Refuses To Play Against A Girl; Forfeits Championship Game

Why One School's Boys Baseball Team Won't Play Against Girls

Gasp! Should we start blaming all Christians now? Of course not. Because that school's interpretation doesn't match their religious norms. Just like the school mentioned in the OP.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ISeekTruth101
So basically they are scared if they have to play against / visualize these girls, that they will not be able to control themselves from something sexually illicit?

Why should someone who sees a female in a non perverse manner need a psychiatrist? I think if you can't play sports with girls without having sexual thoughts and or being able to control them, then you need a psychiatrist.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Ah, I didn't know about the goal thing. This is what happens in soccer where you can tie instead of having to have a winner and loser.

To me, coming from background where most sports have to have a clear winner or loser, this is a decent compromise. If you don't want to play against the players on the other side so badly that you feel you must sit on the bench, then they will walk all over you and rightfully so, but then again, those sports don't have to tally total goals across games because some games end in ties.
edit on 31-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is about as asinine as it gets.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join