It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Woman Denied Unopened Soda Can on Flight When Others are Given Unopened

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

This is where it gets intersting....

It is now a he said she said, why does this new witness get to trump the story of the lady?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It is now a he said she said, why does this new witness get to trump the story of the lady?

Can't ignore this part: (could be the guy who yelled at her for all we know)

This is an anonymous account on the internet so we have no way of knowing if it’s true, but then again we have no way of knowing if Tahera Ahmad’s account is true either. And this version has a lot of details missing from Ahmad’s story.

My position is and has been, if true, it was discrimination and handled badly.

Also, the inconsistency in flight attendant service, which posters have supported.

edit on 5-6-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

She initially put this on her facebook page? And then it blew up? I wonder how many other times Muslims have been treated like this in public (or worse) that we never hear about?

I've witnessed one incident first hand myself - was actually pretty frightening. I wasn't the Muslim in the situation - my friend was. I couldn't do anything about that particular situation myself because it was two of us against one cop - alone - at night

I have a problem with attention whores, liars, and people who cry "discrimination!" at every possible slight. This woman seems to be all of the above.

So - nothing but bias and guessing on your part. You're less convincing than she is

She (at least) has more than just opinion:
Islamophobia in the skies: United Airlines bans accused worker

Shuttle America, owned by Republic Airways Holding, confirmed to the Guardian the flight attendant had been pulled from future United Express flying and would be retrained. The airline states that all employees undergo annual and recurrent customer services training – including cultural awareness lessons – and it will “continue to work with all of [its] partners to deliver service that reflects United’s commitment to cultural awareness”.

Islamophobia claim prompts United Airlines boycott

Ahmad told the Chicago Sun-Times that she received an apology from the flight attendant on behalf of herself and the other passenger, saying that the United employee had “acknowledged it was unethical and said he never should have said anything”.

edit on 6/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: link

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

There is your story, my story and the truth....that is what is happening here.

and making the leap that it could be the person yelling who posted the opposite view? Nice strech!
edit on 06pm30pmf0000002015-06-05T15:37:51-05:000351 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

She initially put this on her facebook page? And then it blew up? I wonder how many other times Muslims have been treated like this in public (or worse) that we never hear about?

I've witnessed one incident first hand myself - was actually pretty frightening. I wasn't the Muslim in the situation - my friend was. I couldn't do anything about that particular situation myself because it was two of us against one cop - alone - at night

I have a problem with attention whores, liars, and people who cry "discrimination!" at every possible slight. This woman seems to be all of the above.

So - nothing but bias and guessing on your part. You're less convincing than she is

She (at least) has more than just opinion:
Islamophobia in the skies: United Airlines bans accused worker

Shuttle America, owned by Republic Airways Holding, confirmed to the Guardian the flight attendant had been pulled from future United Express flying and would be retrained. The airline states that all employees undergo annual and recurrent customer services training – including cultural awareness lessons – and it will “continue to work with all of [its] partners to deliver service that reflects United’s commitment to cultural awareness”.

Islamophobia claim prompts United Airlines boycott

Ahmad told the Chicago Sun-Times that she received an apology from the flight attendant on behalf of herself and the other passenger, saying that the United employee had “acknowledged it was unethical and said he never should have said anything”.

United had no choice but to apologize and do something. People have now boycotted United over a completely unsubstantiated story.

United certainly couldn't come out and say "this woman is a liar" or they'd get even more backlash from the people who rushed to support her so they can join in on the "look how tolerant I am!" parade of dunces.

We keep getting Tahera Ahmad's side of the story and no one else's. United is in CYA mode because it's all they CAN do at this point.

Now we have a story from a person who claims to have been a passenger saying the situation was completely different than has been portrayed by the supposed "victim."

Here's the problem with this whole thing... when you take one person's word for it and blow it up into NATIONAL NEWS on every available outlet, how do you then say that the witness is lying?

The whole thing has sounded like BS from the very beginning and now it comes down to who do you believe... the woman who makes her living talking about religious discrimination and tolerance (of Muslims only, mind you...) who seems to have a penchant for finding discrimination whether it's happening or not OR the supposed witness who said it didn't happen?

The only bias I have in this case is the following:

A) No one knows if the story is true but they're taking it at face-value because they don't want to be "insensitive" to the Muslim woman. If anyone else was making these claims, people would be asking questions and wouldn't repeat the offended person's words as 100% truth.
B) I am against anyone who uses their religion, ANY religion, as a tool to demand special treatment and label people's behavior as "discriminatory."

I find all religions equally ridiculous so to believe, like Annee, that I'm biased against Muslims and it affects my viewpoint is utter nonsense. The easy way out of this discussion is to state "well you just don't like Muslims" and ignore the factual points that I'm making.
edit on 6/5/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The witness' story is just as legitimate as the original story.

That's why this whole thing is completely stupid.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Now we have a story from a person who claims to have been a passenger saying the situation was completely different than has been portrayed by the supposed "victim."

You find that source credible?

the United employee had “acknowledged it was unethical and said he never should have said anything”.

That sounds like more than caving to me

My problem with this story is the reaction to it. The vile, ugly things said - and based on what? On no more evidence than has anyone else

The reaction verifies her perception if not her facts

The whole thing has sounded like BS from the very beginning and now it comes down to who do you believe...

She posted this on facebook - she didn't go to the press. Other Muslims were quick to support her. Why is that do you suppose?

Are they all: ...attention whores, liars, and people who cry "discrimination!" at every possible slight....

I've had a few Muslim friends in my life - some closer than others. I've heard a lot of stories. I know what's happening out there. How fast everyone was to say she was lying - superficial - whiny - demanding...

Maybe. Maybe this story is completely false - but the reaction to it wasn't

edit on 6/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The reaction verifies her perception even if not her facts

And I haven't directly supported her.

I've stated, IF TRUE, it is discrimination.

There is a lot of inconsistencies in personal experiences, just from posters here, how they were treated when requesting something from a flight attendant.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

You find that source credible?

It's just as credible as the original story. That's my point.

the United employee had “acknowledged it was unethical and said he never should have said anything”.

That sounds like more than caving to me

Again, they can't call her a liar.

My problem with this story is the reaction to it. The vile, ugly things said - and based on what? On no more evidence than has anyone else

The reaction verifies her perception if not her facts

The reaction verifies that people are sick of "Islamophobia" being thrown around as the new buzz word for "someone was a jerk to me and now muh feels are hurt!" As more "protected classes" are established, more "discrimination" will occur because now people can't just have a disagreement or encounter a jerk in their everyday life... every negative encounter will be a result of "discrimination." This new belief that everyone deserves their own little protected class is completely ridiculous and a result of people jumping on the attention-seeking bandwagon.

The whole thing has sounded like BS from the very beginning and now it comes down to who do you believe...

She posted this on facebook - she didn't go to the press. Other Muslims were quick to support her. Why is that do you suppose?

Are they all: ...attention whores, liars, and people who cry "discrimination!" at every possible slight....

I've had a few Muslim friends in my life - some closer than others. I've heard a lot of stories. I know what's happening out there. How fast everyone was to say she was lying - superficial - whiny - demanding...

Maybe. Maybe this story is completely false - but the reaction to it wasn't

News flash: every group of people on earth face discrimination but Muslims have become the flavor of the day because, I honestly believe, they're playing the victim card to distance themselves from extremists. There are a HUGE number of Muslims who are not terrorists but almost all terrorists are Muslims. They're trying to make people see the difference but they're doing it in the worst possible way and the US media are buying right into it.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I hear more about Christians being persecuted then I do Islamophobia.

And Christians are probably doing most of the complaining about Islamophobia.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I hear more about Christians being persecuted then I do Islamophobia.

And Christians are probably doing most of the complaining about Islamophobia.

Yep, I'm annoyed by them too.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Is it anonymous?

...I honestly believe, they're playing the victim card to distance themselves from extremists. There are a HUGE number of Muslims who are not terrorists but almost all terrorists are Muslims. They're trying to make people see the difference but they're doing it in the worst possible way and the US media are buying right into it.

Emphasis mine. Clearly - Muslims are being welcomed with open arms - and not at all being discriminated against

They are so obviously uppity. If they would only not be so angry and just do things the right way

Same ole same ole

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

They are so obviously uppity. If they would only not be so angry and just do things the right way

Same ole same ole

In my town, Christians marched on city hall when they discovered Muslims were going to build a Mosque. They managed to find a loop hole in that the property was in a historic district and shut down the plan.

Them uppity Muslims!

My Spiritual Living Church rented them space and the city ended up subsidizing a new property. Mosque built, never have had a problem. From them.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Before I read all of the responses, I am posting mine, so if I repeat something someone else said, that's why.

My initial response to this as to call BS. Her story seems too contrived to be real, and very unlikely. The more I learn, the more I see that my initial response was 100% correct. This woman is full of it to the eyebrows. Why? Many reasons.

1. She claims someone else got a beer. One, that's a different beverage, and two, is that a slur against alcohol? I think so.
2. She claims she was yelled at, yet no one confirms this.
3. No video, no pics, nothing? A confrontation in the air, and she can't provide a video?

Now, after those thoughts, I read that she has ties to several known terrorist fronts, and known radicals, so this takes on a whole new twist. She made this up, for publicity, and to lay the victim card, and I don't buy a word of it. Plus, another passenger came forward and posted about it, calling her a liar, and giving far more believable details. You can read about that here -

Fellow Passenger Claims Diet Coke Muslim Tahera Ahmad is a Rude Liar

That sounds a lot more plausible than her claims. Yet, I'd bet money a lot of posters jumped right in, expressing outrage and dismay over the claimed discrimination. Now to see if I am correct.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My Spiritual Living Church rented them space and the city ended up subsidizing a new property. Mosque built, never have had a problem. From them.

Nice :-)

There are so many Muslims - American citizens even - that just want to live their lives and enjoy the same freedoms as anyone else. As you pointed out - we don't actually know if this story is accurate or not, but I think it's pretty obvious that some people intend to make things difficult for them

It's not really about a can of coke

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Front Page is your source? An anonymous witness? Is this really how you go about determining the truth?

:-)

That sounds a lot more plausible than her claims. Yet, I'd bet money a lot of posters jumped right in, expressing outrage and dismay over the claimed discrimination. Now to see if I am correct.

So what if you are?
edit on 6/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Is it anonymous?

...I honestly believe, they're playing the victim card to distance themselves from extremists. There are a HUGE number of Muslims who are not terrorists but almost all terrorists are Muslims. They're trying to make people see the difference but they're doing it in the worst possible way and the US media are buying right into it.

Emphasis mine. Clearly - Muslims are being welcomed with open arms - and not at all being discriminated against

Same ole same ole

Sure, put words in my mouth to discredit me. Typical.

I welcome anyone who doesn't use their race or religion as a personal identifier and a sticking point to whine about discrimination with open arms. The rest, I find their drama and demands for "special snowflake" status incredibly annoying.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Sure, put words in my mouth to discredit me. Typical.

Your words:
News flash: every group of people on earth face discrimination but Muslims have become the flavor of the day because, I honestly believe, they're playing the victim card to distance themselves from extremists. There are a HUGE number of Muslims who are not terrorists but almost all terrorists are Muslims. They're trying to make people see the difference but they're doing it in the worst possible way and the US media are buying right into it.

Your first reaction was to insist she was lying. With no evidence - you were inclined to believe she was nothing but an attention whore. You claim she has ties to radicals - and your source is Breitbart - fine

Breitbart neglected to include this:

Ahmad was recognized at the White House last year "as a leading Muslim female in the United States" during Women's History Month, according to Northwestern University. She had previously attended a Ramadan dinner hosted by President Barack Obama.

In 2013, Ahmad sparked outrage among Islamic conservatives when she became the first woman to recite the Quran at the Islamic Society of North America convention in Washington, the nation's largest Muslim gathering, according to Northwestern.

Emphasis mine. She's a radical all right - too bad you won't take the time to understand what kind

She also said this:

"This is about bigotry and racism and our country is going through a very difficult time right now. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and so many others worked so hard ..." she said, breaking into tears. "They strove so hard so that Americans would not mistreat each other on the basis of the color of their skin or religious or ethnic background but I guess we're still on that journey."

Source
She is an embarrassingly special little snowflake - invoking MLK like that. That's just for Americans

There are things I find annoying too - I don't mind going out of my way to point them out

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Your first reaction was to insist she was lying. With no evidence - you were inclined to believe she was nothing but an attention whore. You claim she has ties to radicals - and your source is Breitbart - fine

You noticed that too.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So her story is BS but the passenger is telling the truth?

1. She claims someone else got a beer. One, that's a different beverage, and two, is that a slur against alcohol? I think so.

No, it was saying how clearly that policy was bs..

2. She claims she was yelled at, yet no one confirms this.

And only one person has denied it...

3. No video, no pics, nothing? A confrontation in the air, and she can't provide a video?

Do you take pictures and video of your interactions of the food cart on planes?

People seem rather willing to accept the narrative from this new passenger that won't give a name, but want to call the lady putting her self out there a liar?

What does the anonymous have to loose if that is a lie?
Nothing.
This lady has her name to be tarnished if she is.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join