It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shingles vaccine - effective?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I was at my pharmacy picking up some prescription mess when I overheard the pharmacist going over dosage instructions of prednisone to an older gentleman who has shingles. After discussing that, he discussed the guy coming in after his shingles was completely healed to get the vaccine.

The guy with the shingles said he had gotten the vaccination several months ago. I was thinking WTH?

Has anyone else received this vaccine and gotten shingles? I ask because I am thinking of getting the vaccine, as I have had had several bouts of shingles, and am now over 50 years of age. I have to make an appointment with my doctor to do this, as my pharmacy will only give the shingles vaccine to those 60 and older.

I am sick of getting shingles, but I now see that I could get the vaccine and still wind up with it.

Please let me know your thoughts. Shingles is very painful.
edit on 30-5-2015 by ChiefD because: Darn fat fingers

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I got the vaccine a few years ago and haven't gotten the shingles and hope I don't. I've heard that it sucks. Thats why I got the vaccine.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm glad you haven't gotten shingles. Yeah, it sucks big time. And if they ever had to
put me on prednisone for it, that would be really sucky. I turn into a psycho on that.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

The shingles vaccine is very effective. I got the vaccination at Walgreens a week later I got the shingles ?

The optimum word is effective ?
edit on 30-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Vaccine appears to be about 50% effective if I remember right, but many factors influence the effectiveness. After 69 it has much less effectiveness.

Also anecdotal evidence suggests those who get the vaccine and shingles after have milder symptoms.
edit on 30-5-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Question ... if you get shingles once can you get it again? I haven't had it but I was wondering if there was an immunity thing after getting it one time. Anyone know?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Question ... if you get shingles once can you get it again? I haven't had it but I was wondering if there was an immunity thing after getting it one time. Anyone know?

It's not likely, but yes it definitely can happen. Especially if you have a weakened immune system.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I haven' t had shingles yet, but was thinking about getting the vaccine because my dad had a very bad case of it, the neurological pain went on for months. He said it was horrible pain inside his head and eyes.

Although rare, I've heard this pain can go on for even years.

At first he said he wanted to shoot himself to get away from this pain, then he just started getting used to it, going oh well I'll just live with it,

Well now I'm not so sure I want the vaccine if it's useless. Sounds like we all need to research it more before getting one

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
From what I read stress triggers it. My dad was very stressed when he got it and I am always stressing about something. So I don't know

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
From what I read stress triggers it. My dad was very stressed when he got it and I am always stressing about something. So I don't know

Stress weakens the immune system, a big trigger for shingles.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   

If you had chickenpox in the past then you are at risk of shingles in the future, I am one of them. The chicken pox virus stays dormant in your body and when the immune system is compromised, it may reactivate.

In the UK we give Zostavax which is not 100% effective but reduces the chances of getting shingles by 55% (as per latest studies). Like you said, shingles is very painful and I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you, I have known patients who developed PHN, Postherpetic Neuralgia, which usually doesn't respond well to common painkillers such as Paracetamol or Ibuprofen.

I work with the elderly and most have had Zovastax and I am yet to encounter a patient that has had a severe reaction to the vaccine, most complained of dull pain on the injection site for a few days.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I know of a woman who got the vaccine and got shingles 3 months later, but she does have some health problems.

I've had shingles- it happened to me when I was in my 40s. My job can be pretty stressful and I think that was mostly what caused it. I was researching ways to reduce your chances of getting shingles. Turns out exercise is effective and especially Tai Chi (there has been research done with Tai Chi and its effect on shingles). It is more effective than the shingles vaccine. I would not get the vaccine. I have been making an effort to get more exercise, which relieves stress. I think that is the healthiest way to approach it.

Sal

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Oh, I wish. No, you won't have immunity after getting it once. Some only get it once in a lifetime. Some like me have had several bouts of it. For me, the time varies. I've gone 5+ years without getting it, and for a few years there, I was getting it about once a year. There's no rhyme or reason to this.

I plan on making an appointment with my primary care physician to get the vaccine, since I cannot get it at my pharmacy. That way, even if I do have another bout, hopefully it will be less intense.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
YOu can get shingles more than once.

I cannot remember the specifics, but it is not all that effective....and it's expensive.

I asked my local pharmacist about it, and I want to say he told me it was about 50% effective....there was more to it....sorry I cannot remember but i decided to NOT waste my money.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The virus that causes chickenpox lies dormant in your nerve cells. That is what causes shingles. Your body can not clear the infection. Anytime your immune system weakens it can allow the virus to spread which is what causes Shingles. It can happen more than once because the virus is never fully cleared.
The vaccine significantly lowers the risk of getting shingles, and lessens the symptoms if you do get it (anecdotal evidence).

top topics

join