It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were to win $50 MILLION, what would you do?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Ghost147

Probably keep about 3 mil and the rest I'd start my own multi-focused charity so I could ensure money went where I want it to go and not siphoned off of 50 times before then.

Amen bro

Amen !

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I would buy or pay off, relatives and friends, homes, looking for the best solutions, ie to keep the cost down because that would be a few million and we're talking 15 people, to spare them from massive poverty, and work with them to cut their energy bill in halves and get aquaponics so they have food and pay education and/or business start ups. And at least 3 of them would be land for farms, for organic non gmo, grains, commercial hemp/bamboo, orchards, and greenhouses. And run those to pay the expenses and provide alot of good food for all of the family and friends, and also to get vans and provide local food for those struggling, not once every 2 months like the sally ann does, but every week.

Would also investigate back at the coast, how to help some of the ministry kids that we had staying, but things were robbed too, and investigate half way or drop in centers for the youths and young adults with training in trades and crafts.

Would have services for those who need them in the family finally. Both house cleaning and laundry. Its so nice to live in a world where only some get the servcies they need, so disabled people who can't even bend over, live in messy homes, and then relatives get to spend hours yelling at them calling them names while ever so reluctantly doing a cleanup once a year or so. Ugly twisted abusive world and many very selfish people in it.

In addition would start organization to get clean ethical businesses and help those locally, would form citizens counsels and get alternative media and have people meet up and start to solve problems. Would try to treat the extended community or area around as one big family and empower those who normally don't speak up or have a voice.

Would get legal challenges on, and keep firing the legal cannon until unlawful laws including cannabis ones, were null and void and gone, and people could use land as eco villages and have more than one home on many suitable properties.

Would hire PI's to expose many corrupt people afforded public trust and given huge salaries and pensions to mismanage our country and world.

Would have judges taken to court and charged, would expose and legally seek to ensure a free and equal world with the rights, sovereignity, freedoms and solutions of citizens upheld on working. And the corrupt satanic asshats at the top slapped back where they feaking belong and possibly in jail.

We'd get a good transport system linking many small towns and villages with larger ones locally and have raffles and alternative energies being created and get people training up in each others garages to learn how to make them, to share them, to help everyone cut their energy bill in half or less, including vehicle conversions, some to HHO, and bikes to HHO, and hold lotteries and raffles to fund the transportation, mini buses or whatever would work to ensure adventures and outings for the poor.
edit on 31-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
put maybe 10 milli in the bank to live off the interest.
set up a nice trust for my kids.
figure out where i want to live and buy a sick house.
build a tall ass wall around my property.
build a massive garage on the property.
spend about 70 grand on tools and shop equipment including vehicle lifts
spend my time filling it up with cars/trucks/motorcycles
travel a lot
when i am not traveling i will be in my home shop wrenching on my stuff

something like that.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I've written about this before, but it's worth repeating I think. One Winter, bitter cold, I was driving my kids to school and saw a little boy, maybe 8?, walking to school. His coat was no where near thick enough, nothing more than a light jacket. His shoes were so big, he walked out of one and had to hop back and get it. Clearly hand me downs from someone older. He was hunched over, hands tucked under his arms and walking as fast as he could to get there.

If I had that amount of money, each season, I'd have semi trailers full of coats, shoes, clothes and the like, parked at the school and every class brought out and properly fitted with what ever they needed for the season. Any needy family could come. Next, I would set up a food bank, with a hot meal served every night. I know what it's like to grow up poor. Our family started off that way and although it got much better after a few years, it stays with me. That little boy haunts me. The fact that I couldn't help him left a small hole in my soul that I don't think will ever go away.
After that? Nothing crazy. Buy several small ranches in Texas and give them to my son, sister, Mom, nephew, etc...with the largest, most extravagant for me. Hey, it's my money. Expand my gun collection and do some traveling. Nice truck and car, set up trust funds for my kids....Oh and be really, really generous when it came to tipping.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

It's way more than I or my family would need. Definitely would make sure my kids school loans were paid off.
I would than make sure them and their children were set for life. I would than take a few million and help those in need. Although I wouldn't advertise for it, I would be more like a secret Santa. I would watch the news or read the paper of people going through hard times, losing a loved one etc... and than send them a check to help get them back on their feet.

I personally look down on billionaires who sit on a mountain of money, yet can't help out the hungry, the homeless or those who are in despair. Giving to someone has more gratification in this life than building a fortune of greed.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Canadian dollars? Where the hell am I going to spend those?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The way I look at it, 10 million set aside to live off the interest. Which is possibly around 2% or less. Well, thats fine. But if that was sunk into land and some farm, lets say commercial hemp to build things, for example hempstone guitars, or homes, or insulation and other farms set up for aquaponics and also alternative health products, and other monies put into homes, education, and each person had several (not one, not one egg in one basket), businesses set up, not only is land the best investment, but a few different businesses can employ quite a few people locally and people can set up local cottage industries, that currently are put overseas, and only pledge to buy from each other, you can take back the power, and improve the economics in your own area and country. I think that having the money just sit around is wasted.

I would not spend one dime of it on brand new vehicles, second hand 4000 dollar trucks and fifth wheels are good enough. Finding the best solutions for homes, ie not a 450 000 dollar property with land the size of a postage stamp, but 1/4 acres to 10 acre lots, and build cob homes, alternative homes. Have a small team of family friends and a few of their construction drinking buddies, get together and whip off everyone's homes in a couple years, only paying day wages out were necessary. There are many alternatives, and also, seeking to get some communal lots, eco farms for a few of them.

I'd put money into the basics, land, food production, businesses and get people locally set up more, rather than be smaug and sit on a fake nest of gold, thats just digital numbers that can crash at any moment.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

4 million:

Ensuring myself and those closest to me have housing and utilities till doomsday, provide for my son, and his education going forward.

10 million:

Start, or help fund a foundation for special needs education, and education world wide.

10 million:

Start an actual left wing political party in this country, designed for the purpose of wresting control from the few, and putting it in the hands of the many.

The remainder:

To be distributed amongst the twenty six poorest households in the UK, for the purpose of instantly transforming the lives of those affected by the most austere circumstances.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'd start a TV show where I gave two families $101,000 and then introduced them to each other and told them they could give as much of it away to the other family as they thought they deserved.

No, I'd go to Africa and hand out a dollar worth of pennies to everyone I saw then install vending machines that don't take pennies.
edit on 3152015 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
We have talked about this:

1.) Clear all our debts.

2.) Get a money manager and lawyer. Set up retirement funds for ourselves and education funding for our son. The education fund for our son would be set in such a way that it only disburses on our terms and it also serve as a nest egg should he choose to go a route other than college. Set up a fund that would provide a small monthly stipend to bolster our monthly income (we neither one want to quit working but we'd like the pressure to have to work off).

3.) Set up a savings fund in the small town credit union my family has always banked at. Keep enough in it that we can use it as a nice disaster fund. It has the advantage of being in an independent bank where we have to do some work to access it. So we won't be as tempted to just dip into it on a whim. Fairly easily forgettable.

4.) Set aside money to completely refurbish our current property. We aren't going whole hog nice on this. It becomes a rental or AirBnB property because it has a nice location, convenient to major roads and airport. Then we find and/or build the house we want.

5.) Set aside the money necessary to completely refurbish the home property (140-year-old three-story limestone farmhouse). It needs major work, and it's in the country. So it won't be cheap. That one gets the prime treatment, too.

6.) Whatever we refurbish the family land for, we match for my husband's family.

7.) Start up a business investment fund. My husband wants to start a serum farm on the family land, and depending on how the regs for it work, we may be able to also use the place as an organic boutique farm of some sort, too. Since he could retire early easily, all we would need is the necessary education. Family ground is already located prime along the bio-corridor with a large agro/bio college less than one hour away.

8.) Buy two cars. Finally getting to the completely material.

9.) Give away amounts anonymously to the various people who have meant a lot to us throughout the years ... even some whom we no longer talk to.

10.) Look for good charity opportunities.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I'd buy everything i needed to build myself 'on my own super secret private land' an underground hobbit house with a skylight. i'd stock it with food alcohol and essentials. Then i'd sit back and enjoy the rest of my time here on the planet. Of course i'd make sure certain people close to me never had to worry about money again. I'd also build housing for the poor efficient in solar power.

edit on 5/31/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
First id pay off my debts. Then I'd buy a house remodel and furnishings a new work truck and a car. Then Id take care of my brothers and parents bills, set up a college fund for my nieces and nephews. Then id keep a quarter of whats left for myself and either start a charity or give the rest to one. I am not a greedy person and don't need all the crap that most people seem to be obsessed with these days so it would be a waste for me to have that much money and not do something worthwhile with it.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I would:

1. Give a few million each to certain immediate members of both my wife and I's family. Familily that has helped us a lot through the years to get where we are today.

2. Give my wife half and buy a nice divorce. She would be okay with that I'm almost positive.

3. Move back home to Alabama.

4. Buy a nice stretch of land with a pond/lake on it.

5. Build a nice, self sustaining, micro home out of three 20' shipping containers on said pond/lake. One buried for a bunker and the other two for living space. I have a sweet design for it in my head.

6. Get off the grid best I can.

7. Travel the world.
edit on 5 31 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Buy a Ghost Town, develop it into an 'Off-Grid' community, one that could be used as a model for the rest of the cities of the world. Become an inspiration for world wide change, helping everyone to live easier and freer from the constraints of money.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Okay....so everyone knows you have SAY you would give some to charity...lol! Just for karma's sake.

Only I really would.

Then I would help out any relatives/friends/ATSers in need. And also do a #load of random acts of kindness while out and about. Then I would buy a reasonable house, somewhere practical but cool. Then I would check into a holistic health spa for about a month while a decorator was pimping out my house. I'd buy my hubby a car and a boat.

Then the rest would go into a trust for my kids and I'd keep on working because you have to have some purpose in life and money doesn't last forever.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

i didnt say it and i wouldnt.
i was wondering how many people are just saying they would even though they really wouldnt.

there are a couple of things i would consider funding but thats about the extent of it.

i would also have a private physician on staff/on call all the time

i would be perfectly happy working on my cars and bikes all day.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Okay....so everyone knows you have SAY you would give some to charity...lol! Just for karma's sake.

Only I really would.

Then I would help out any relatives/friends/ATSers in need. And also do a #load of random acts of kindness while out and about. Then I would buy a reasonable house, somewhere practical but cool. Then I would check into a holistic health spa for about a month while a decorator was pimping out my house. I'd buy my hubby a car and a boat.

Then the rest would go into a trust for my kids and I'd keep on working because you have to have some purpose in life and money doesn't last forever.

I love this, and I would do much the same. Wouldn't it be nice to buy some acreage outside a large city, and put some of those "tiny houses" on it for the homeless? I would love to be able to do that.

But additionally, I would get on a plane and try my hand at "world traveler". Be a female Anthony Bourdain and eat, drink, shop and chat my way around the planet.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

With that much money, we run out of things we want/need. We are actually fairly happy as we are now. And the stuff I listed above should be doable with much less than the amount of the winnings, so at some point you are giving it away to people who need it more than you do.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Before doing anything hire a financial adviser, lawyer and appropriate security then....

Take care of my family and a few of my closest friends by giving them each 3 million.

I would take 1 million and invest in various types of funds or commodities ..
I would also take another million and contribute to a few local record and used book stores .

Travel the world going to the various big metal fests in Europe..

I would also take a 1-2 million and hire the people to start a traveling business. This would be going around to various cancer wards and offering free massage service to the families that are dealing with a loved one having cancer and spend long days or nights in a hospital.. Been there and done that myself so I know how stressed it can get.

I would continue working at my current job for the next 5-10 years as I really enjoy my career and believe in the end game of where I work.. During this time I would buy a superbox for Flyers games and allow different charities to use that for free.

After that 5-10 years I would then buy a house out West some place near Yellowstone... something quiet with a view of mountains. I would dedicate a room in that house just to music and create a great library.
edit on 31-5-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I'd put under 600k into a decent house (as in 1500 sq/f) on a small acreage (as I don't need that 15,000 square foot estate).

600 k for a decent house? I live in Toronto. With that amount you can buy just a dog house. lol

You must be living somewhere where real estate is still cheap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join