It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were to win $50 MILLION, what would you do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
You've just played the lottery and won big. You win $50 million Canadian Dollars (Canadian because the government doesn't tax us for lottery winnings). What would you do with your money?

I love asking this question to people, because you really get to know a lot about a person due to their answer. Most people, it seems, would go out and buy whatever materialistic thing they've dreamed of since their childhood. Their consumerism would eventually get the better of them and they'd likely be back to where they were before they won the lottery, or worse.

Personally, I have never really felt the need to own every vehicle ever made, or to live in a massive house on an island, or to buy a sports team, or what have you. That kind of money, to me, means a stress-free life, and an opportunity to get creative. I would set up an untouchable savings account to keep the interest coming in every year. I'd put under 600k into a decent house (as in 1500 sq/f) on a small acreage (as I don't need that 15,000 square foot estate). Put down several million for investments. And finally, start up a business in which I could focus Aquaponics as a more reasonable, size/cost/water efficient source of Organic Produce, Fish, and other products, then expand throughout major cities in order to reduce both our ecological footprint as well as a healthier, cheaper option for foods and goods.

So, if you won $50 MILLION, what would you do?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Probably keep about 3 mil and the rest I'd start my own multi-focused charity so I could ensure money went where I want it to go and not siphoned off of 50 times before then.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Very first I'm buying a house. No scratch that, where do I want to live? Probably still North Carolina. Cozy here.

I'm paying off my families houses or student loans or whatever..

After that, I can take classes like Art and physics.. Do as many things as possible to gain more insights into who I am. (I'm in some weird self improvement cycle

I would for sure somewhere in here start a company. Something involving spreading information. Like a record label maybe?

Owning a forum could be interesting.

I've never desired material things besides drugs.. That would be my issue right there.

But I'd be keeping my friends around to keep me sober.

And I guess from here what I do is I travel and try to find interesting ways to use the money for other people. Maybe help someone else start a company..

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
snip]
edit on 31-5-2015 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'd probably have a heart attack and die. My answer will never differ.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
someone over here in Australia is asking themselves that very question after winning $50,000,000 on powerball Thursday night.

I'm only asking the question....why wasn't it me

lol

Myself, I'd disappear first, just vanish off the face of the Earth, then I'd send out a few cheques to a few people I care for, I'd then try to set up some sort of rehab center for domestic violence victims and their families to help them find a better way of life. Maybe I'd invest a bit and then travel a bit.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'd put most of it away in an account for 6 months or so that I could get my head around it and I couldnt blow it.. and to look into options for investing

I'd buy a house for the family and a vacation house somewhere. A nice car etc.

I'd setup a trust for each of my kids so they were set for life, and the same for my niece and nephew. Would make sure the rest of my immediate family were setup as needed.

Then i'd need to pause for a while and consider life and what I wanted to do with the freedom suddenly available

I like to think I'd look at some charity donations/funding etc

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yeah,I pretty much agree with you,and Kali..I would give a lot to charity.But I would upgrade my house,restore my classic truck/cars,and live a modest life.You got to know who your friends are before the wealth..Those are true Friends.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Invest about 1/2.

The other half....walk around just basically handing out money.

Buy a hardworking single mother a car, buy this family a house.

Pay for the next $10,000 of gas station fill ups.

Help this guy get his life together.

Pay off her student loans.

Pay for this guys lawyer.

Build something, like a park obstacle or community tree house.

Buy everyone's lunch at several restaurants.

A lot!!

I would do a lot, of good!!!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Everything in moderation...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Everything in moderation...

Speak for yourself. I've got $50 milion, I don't need moderation.

That was a joke, by the way...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

I like the way you think, JohnWick! A most excellent way to pay-it-forward. I believe you.

As for me, I would request it all in $1 bills, fill up an Olympic sized swimming pool and have a pool party. Might need several pools...and a big Hold Harmless sign posted for all to see in case of death by dollar suffocations, you know...

Swimwear optional.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I figured. I laughed. Honest.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Buy ATS ...

Get rid of all the ads!!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Sorry to kill your dream.... but....

Volume of a Olympic sized swimming pool > 2500m3
Dimensions of $1 bill -
Length - 15.5956 cm
Width - 6.6294 cm
Thickness - 0.010922 cm
Volume- 1.1292 cm3
No. of hundred dollar bills needed- 2500*10^6/1.1292 = 2213956784
Which means around 2 billion $1 bills are needed to be able to enjoy a dive into the pool.

But with $50,000,000 you can do that to your backyard pool!
maybe a hot tub
edit on 30/5/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Get me one of these . Then um , try to work out how rich people live . Seriously i think i would still have to work , that very act would probably ensure i live long enough to enjoy my new found wealth .

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Pennies?

Dream killer!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Get a lawyer, get an accountant, get a financial advisor.

Immediately take the family on a modest vacation and just relax at the beach and get my head around it all.

By mum and dad anything they want - and they wouldn't want much because they are like me, not materialistic. But whatever they wanted - furniture, car, new home. Make sure they are taken care of.

Get my kids each a condo or moderate home and a safe new car (nothing fancy, just good safety ratings), some furnishings. Encourage them to "find their passion" and explore options. They will NOT live a decadent lifestyle with these winnings. Help them with schooling, counseling, etc. to figure out what they really want to do/be. (failure to launch has been an issue)

Repair, remodel my home and landscape the yard. Again, all within reason - nothing extravagant.

QUIT MY JOB!!!!! And go to a nice "detox" place for an extended stay - to get really healthy on all that wheatgrass and raw foods.

Set up a charitable foundation. Invest in clean water nonprofits, wolf sanctuary, homeless shelters, and funding research into alternative healing for those with mental illness.

Start my own multimedia publishing company - focused on metaphysical/spiritual and environmental subjects. Publish some of my own works.

Give big, extraordinary tips. Leave $50 bills in odd places to make some stranger's day. Give money anonymously. Adopt a village in Nepal devastated by the earthquake and help rebuild safe structures and set up new schools. Use my marketing and PR skills to raise awareness and funds for Nepalese orphans.

Travel to all the countries on my dream list - from Patagonia to New Zealand to Estonia and Iceland, and everywhere in between! Again, in a reasonable fashion - no need for 5-star hotels and restaurants. Want to really see the natural sights and sites - some museums, art, cathedrals, history, culture, animals. Go whale watching. See the Great Wall. Go to Galapagos. Visit Greece. Rent a small home on the west coast of Ireland. Go to Skye. Travel to Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan and India. Go back to see the Grand Canyon and Sedona again - and see the giant redwoods. I'd love to "campervan" around New Zealand. Walk the great pilgrimages. Bicycle through the French countryside. See the northern lights.

Maybe take some photography, painting and sculpting courses at an art school. Someday, maybe, get a larger piece of acreage, a couple lovely dogs and cats, and geez, it would be nice to meet someone on my travels or in art class - fall in love one more time and be happy!

So, about 10 million for me and the family for the rest of our lives, and 40 million (well, I've not taken into account all the tax) for charitable pursuits.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Actually, pennies would be a good option. A Penny is about .02696 cubic inches, and an olympic pool is 152,064,000 cubic inches. So you'd need 10 Olympic pools. I think. I suck at math

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I think, first I'd buy a house, well, 2. One for me and my princess, and the rest for my mom. The rest, I have no clue. Certainly not blow it on material items though. Save it up I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join