It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful handmade knives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Good Damascus holds one hell of nice cutting edge.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Any knife owner uses his knives or he is just a coin collector.

I have a few. Use them all.

Those that don't are not really knife guys.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Legman
Fair enough. My knives are purely utilitarian but I can appreciate the craftsmanship.

Does putting a new edge on a Damascus blade screw up those beautiful patterns?

edit on 5/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Actually finally we have common ground. No... You can edge and use anything. Even 3000 dollar pieces of art. Damascus sharpens well although slightly different but for the most part (mine and your purposes) the same.

While you are the smart ATSer.... I'm sort of the dumb knife guy. I don't want to disrail this thread but there are different types of damascus that I can get into... there is a lot about temper and the method of sandwich... needs its own thread..

for once

cheers phage
edit on 30-5-2015 by Legman because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2015 by Legman because: I forgot english

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Legman
Fair enough. My knives are purely utilitarian but I can appreciate the craftsmanship.

Does putting a new edge on a Damascus blade screw up those beautiful patterns?

It just makes them more Damascarier if you do it right.
You have a harder steel folded and hammered with a slightly softer steel in many sandwiched layers.
If you sharpen in properly you get microscopic serrations.
A well sharpened Damascus blade will slice through leather, muscle, and tendon like a light-saber.
You don't want to use for shaving.
I clean deer and hogs with a 2 inch Damascus blade. It's like peeling a banana.

edit on 30-5-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It just makes them more Damascarier if you do it right.

I guess that's the tricky part.
I can put a decent edge on a blade but I don't seem to have the patience to go beyond that. But then, I have little call for light saber. But I can fillet a fish and leave just about nothing on the bone.

edit on 5/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well, there's this -

Steve Hoel Knife Maker, AZ.
edit on 30-5-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
There was a running joke about guys who bought REAL expensive blades and took them with them only to lose them in the field during a dismount.
A good commmercial blade can suffice.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I never said I wouldn't use them, I simply said I would not be willing to sell/trade them.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SunPraiser
I know.
I'm not sure I would though.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
with all my kit - i have one question :

why will i cry if it gets lost // broken

A - because i am 30 miles from " civilisation " and i depend on it for my saftey // welbeing

B - WHAAAA - it was so expensive // and or // beuatiful ?

my kit all falls into category A

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: apoc36
I will tell you what is stunning , those prices lol. They are insanely expensive for a knife.

You must see them as art, handmade, personally crafted to the will and whim of the artist. More or less a collectible that should never cut a thing.

How does this art compare to a piece of canvas with paint dobs smeared on it in imaginative ways that sells for insane amounts of money? Knife art goes back into human history as mankind's first meaningful tool in my estimation.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is what custom knife making is all about... Mister Stan Wilson... Enjoy...

edit on 31-5-2015 by Ddrneville because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
These are awesome. I want some; these would make the perfect gift to those people that you just don't know what to get for them (like Dads and Uncles & brothers- not to say chicks don't dig this stuff).

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville

The hidden mechanism is awesome! You really can´t see the button until you pressed it. The guy seems to have some genious friends too, look at the belt grinder he got build by someone, how silly easy and practical. Something you do not find much anymore.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Beautiful kukri! Wonder if the guy makes any kujangs or kriss? Those would look spectacular. Maybe even an Itak talibong.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread---I think---I'm still attempting to get the drool off the keyboard after I showed this thread to my Beloved. He does love a finely-made blade.
We have a dear friend who is a Master Bladesmith (I believe that is the correct term) and works with Damascus steel, producing some awesome blades.
He can be seen here in a workshop. www.youtube.com...
Fortunately, I've been able to barter with him for some of his work as gifts for my Beloved.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its cools stuff, back when I was a teen in high school always wanted to do that kind of stuff. Even bought myself a little forge and the wetstones from online and anvil from a old scrap mill place with my paper route money back then, I tried to make some small knifes but it never did work out, plus almost blew myself up or burned the shed down once because I left the little forge on and the rubber tubing which was connected to the propane tank was on the tip of the little forge I got, by the time I got back and noticed it as it was in the back, the tube alone even though there were firebricks on top of it well, it was almost all the way through the rubber. Would probably not have been a good day, that day if it melted all the way through I am thinking.

Its cool stuff. But man did I suck at trying to do any of that, mostly I just bough a bunch of books and read up on it a little, and tried to forge a small knife from some rebar i got at the scrap yard, even at one point was digging in my parents house back yard to try and get a little ground smelter going because I read about it in a book, had the coal and everything ready, but did not work to well once they found out what I was doing, they had all kinds of codes about that stuff in the neighborhood back then. Those were the days, after that sort of grew out of that phase.

There are some people who do pretty good work with metal out there, used to visit there sites or sword and knife websites back then to and look at all the pretty and shiny swords and knifes. Not so much anymore, even my two sword collection is down to one sword, as my brother stole one and sold it, but it was the crappy one anyways.

I was never one for the whole Damascus folded pattern fancy stuff, liked the more practical stuff. But its all cool anyways.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
If you read home shop machinist or hang out on any of those kind of forums, you can find plans for similar grinders and sanders. I have been interested in the one on the right pictured here and may build it over the summer: A-Pair-of-Shopbuilt-Belt-Grinders

Anyhow, YES, his is nice and I may implement the swappable head like he has there. Excellent craftsmanship all around happening in that shop.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is a small 2" patch knife, it is hand forged with a curly maple handle...I forgot where I got it but I was into traditional muzzleloading guns and reenacting back when I bought it...It was pretty pricey for the size and is easily the sharpest darn knife I own!!

edit on 6/1/2015 by AnonymousMoose because: derp

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join