It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Organic Farmers Beat Monsanto As Federal Judge Upholds GMO Seed Ban

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
At this point they may just wait for the tpp so they can get what they want with less muss and fuss.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I must be a psychic.

After posting in this thread, I had a vision 'Phage' was going to be all over this thread like flies on sh*t.

Anyone want a GMO reading?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It seems certain that Monsanto will not walk away from this. I do not like the idea that a farm next to my land can blow in pollen and I might be considered a thief of Monsanto's property if I use the progeny grown on my land.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The idea that GMO's are bad is a bit like the fact that not all Muslims are bad. In both cases a few bad ones running wild do major damage to the natural way things run. We have to isolate the GMO's and be damn sure they work as advertised before allowing them to be sold. Some of the news on crops i have seen actually show promise in reducing the amount of poisonous herbicides and pesticides the farmers need. The corn i have read about is so bad the Squirrels leave it alone and look elsewhere for food.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

All i can say is - HOAH!!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Are those genetically modified flies or the run of the mill flies?

Believe it or not, some GMO's are being developed by some more scrupulous folk, GMO's and Monsanto are not an exclusive relationship. Condemning Monsanto is one thing but condemning the field entirely is another.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They are going to set op a fake Monsanto tribunal in The Hague.

Next year in the Hague set up a tribunal "to judge the US company Monsanto. Monsanto is a biotech company that produces genetically modified foods. According campaigner Rene Lehnherr is such a fake tribunal the only way to call the company to order. "With this we want Monsanto to sue tribunal for crimes against humanity. It started with the war in Vietnam, which Monsanto's poison Agent Orange developed and continues through to the farmers in India, Colombia, Mali and many other countries who are the victims now of the practices of the company.

The 'Tribunal' aims in May next year several hundred people from around the world, which for the past sixty years, would have become a victim of Monsanto will testify. After the judges and lawyers have heard all the witnesses, they will make a judgment. "If Monsanto is found guilty, then the company should be banned from Europe due to the establishment of a criminal association"

Lets see what will come from that ..

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: Elementalist

Are those genetically modified flies or the run of the mill flies?

Believe it or not, some GMO's are being developed by some more scrupulous folk, GMO's and Monsanto are not an exclusive relationship. Condemning Monsanto is one thing but condemning the field entirely is another.

The kind that fly around your bs post.

I didn't condemn the entire field, you twist things to your liking to make redundant posts. Good for you.

Show me, where these billion-trillion dollar biotechnology companies have benefited humanity, or saved the starving in third world countries.

Benefit would mean; they have changed food from its natural form of a planetary/universal creation, and enhanced it to make the biology of human consumers, beneficial.

Don't be redundant and back up these monsters. Show me their proof it works, and has been benefiting mankind.

I care less about labels, avatars like Monsanto and other enormous bio-modifying companies.

I care about the genetic line of my human kind, and what they consume that may or may not benefit their genetics in yhe long run.

you are what you eat

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The GMO stuff is ridiculous. How many years of studies have they done on them?

The obvious solution;

Every single employee (ceo, shareholders etc.) of every GMO company, eats nothing but GMO food for 40 years; and independent scientists perform studies on the before, during and after effects.

Put your money where your mouth is.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
They are going to set op a fake Monsanto tribunal in The Hague.

Next year in the Hague set up a tribunal "to judge the US company Monsanto. Monsanto is a biotech company that produces genetically modified foods. According campaigner Rene Lehnherr is such a fake tribunal the only way to call the company to order. "With this we want Monsanto to sue tribunal for crimes against humanity. It started with the war in Vietnam, which Monsanto's poison Agent Orange developed and continues through to the farmers in India, Colombia, Mali and many other countries who are the victims now of the practices of the company.

The 'Tribunal' aims in May next year several hundred people from around the world, which for the past sixty years, would have become a victim of Monsanto will testify. After the judges and lawyers have heard all the witnesses, they will make a judgment. "If Monsanto is found guilty, then the company should be banned from Europe due to the establishment of a criminal association"

Lets see what will come from that ..

Is this for real - it's awesome. Beyond even GMOs - Monsanto has been killing people, animals and plants with their posionous products and practises.

Thank you for the information - awesome.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
The idea that GMO's are bad is a bit like the fact that not all Muslims are bad. In both cases a few bad ones running wild do major damage to the natural way things run. We have to isolate the GMO's and be damn sure they work as advertised before allowing them to be sold. Some of the news on crops i have seen actually show promise in reducing the amount of poisonous herbicides and pesticides the farmers need. The corn i have read about is so bad the Squirrels leave it alone and look elsewhere for food.

I've yet to hear any glowing endorsements of any GMO plant or animal. Golden Rice is the closest.

You are truly spouting the party line if you believe that GMOs cut down on pestiside/hericide use and all you have to do is read a little bit of the literature on the subject from those other then what the Big Chem/Ag companies put out.

GMO lead to increased usage of pesticides/herbicides because the pest/weed populations become resistant to the poisons and hence the need for every increasing doses. Simple biology really.

Here is just one article on the subject - the result of a 10 second google search - not difficult.

www.motherjones.com...

The party line intro:

On its website, the GMO-seed-and-agrichemical giant Monsanto makes the green case for its Roundup Ready crops, engineered to withstand the company's own blockbuster herbicide, Roundup:

Roundup agricultural herbicides and other products are used to sustainably an [sic] effectively control weeds on the farm. Their use on Roundup Ready crops has allowed farmers to conserve fuel, reduce tillage and decrease the overall use of herbicides. [Emphasis added.]

The finding from scientific research and analysis: READ TO THE END OF THE PARAGRAPH

Benbrook found that overall, GMO technology drove up herbicide use by 527 million pounds, or about 11 percent, between 1996 (when Roundup Ready crops first hit farm fields) and 2011. But it gets worse. For several years, the Roundup Ready trait actually did meet Monsanto's promise of decreasing overall herbicide use—herbicide use dropped by about 2 percent between 1996 and 1999, Benbrook told me in an interview. But then weeds started to develop resistance to Roundup, pushing farmers to apply higher per-acre rates. In 2002, farmers using Roundup Ready soybeans jacked up their Roundup application rates by 21 percent, triggering a 19 million pound overall increase in Roundup use.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
At this point they may just wait for the tpp so they can get what they want with less muss and fuss.

Excellent point. I do wonder how many Monsanto, Bayer, Glaxo, and other represitives have free access to the text while you and I don't.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I've yet to hear any glowing endorsements of any GMO plant or animal. Golden Rice is the closest.
A lot of farmers seem to like GM plants.

Benbrook found that overall, GMO technology drove up herbicide use by 527 million pounds, or about 11 percent, between 1996 (when Roundup Ready crops first hit farm fields) and 2011.
The trouble is, those numbers fail to take into consideration the increase in acerage in that time span. What happens when that is considered?

The study shows an increase of herbicide use from 1.98 lb/acre in 1996 to 2.06 lb/acre in 2011. That is an increase 0.08 lb or a 4% increase in the application rate.

At the same time insecticide use went from 0.22 lb/acre to 0.07 lb/acre. A decrease of 0.15 lb or a 65% decrease in application rate.

So when approached from a per acre standpoint there would seem to be a substantial reduction in the use of pesticides (herbicides and insecticides). A small increase in herbicide use, and a major decrease in insecticide use.

It should also be noted that, at the same time the use of Roundup increased, the use of other herbicides (2,4-d and Dicambra) declined. A statement from Benbrook's own study:

In light of its generally favorable environmental and toxicological properties, especially compared to some of the herbicides displaced by glyphosate, the dramatic increase in glyphosate use has likely not markedly increased human health risks.

www.enveurope.com...
supplemental data

Consider this (according to the figures used by Benbrook);
Between 1996 and 2011 the total acreage of herbicide tolerant corn increased by 27% and the total use of herbicides on all corn increased by only 1%. A lot more corn and a bit more herbicide.

edit on 5/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
those Oregonians are a real piece of work. they love to smoke the Genetically modified Pot but don't want to eat GMO foods even if the GMO vegetables are grown organically (just like their weed is).

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Monsanto is a huge bully worldwide. They sue anyone in their path for patent infringement including farmers in my province to corn in Mexico. That is the bigger problem. They own seeds and their seeds are patented and farmers can not even reuse their own seed. If they own crops they own food production. Simple.
I use some of their product on my property as it is very effective. If we don't control our weeds we will get fines from the county. I wish I felt better but I feel like a traitor as they are about domination,certainly not just helping me and certainly not the word.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fernalley

They own seeds and their seeds are patented and farmers can not even reuse their own seed.

You just said they own the seeds, not the farmers. Farmers are not forced to buy seeds from anyone but if they do buy patented seeds they are engaging in a contract. That contract includes not replanting those seeds and selling the resultant crops. Do you think it's ok to copy software and sell it? To copy artwork and sell it?

If they own crops they own food production.
They don't own the crops. They own the patented seeds. Farmers do not have to buy those seeds. Ever wonder why they do?

I wish I felt better but I feel like a traitor as they are about domination,certainly not just helping me and certainly not the word.
You don't have to buy Roundup. The patent on glyphosate expired a few years ago. There are many other manufacturers.
www.alibaba.com...
edit on 5/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Really,farmers plant their own seeds that become contaminated with monsanto and are sued .

organicalberta.org...

“This case asks whether Monsanto has the right to sue organic farmers for patent infringement if Monsanto's transgenic seed should land on their property,” said Dan Ravicher, PUBPAT's Executive Director and Lecturer of Law at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York. “It seems quite perverse that an organic farmer contaminated by transgenic seed could be accused of patent infringement, but Monsanto has made such accusations before and is notorious for having sued hundreds of farmers for patent infringement, so we had to act to protect the interests of our clients.”

“This case asks whether Monsanto has the right to sue organic farmers for patent infringement if Monsanto's transgenic seed should land on their property,” said Dan Ravicher, PUBPAT's Executive Director and Lecturer of Law at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York. “It seems quite perverse that an organic farmer contaminated by transgenic seed could be accused of patent infringement, but Monsanto has made such accusations before and is notorious for having sued hundreds of farmers for patent infringement, so we had to act to protect the interests of our clients.”

And when should our food be owned by one Corporate outfit??

Farmers are railroaded into using Monsanto's holy grail of seed (greed). The more I read the more I am disgusted with their ways even if they may have a viable product.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I know two farm wives that cannot have children because of pesticide that "big ag" lobbied as a law requirement. Lord knows what else those bastards keep hushed up. About 80% of children born into a farm family on a modern farm are mentally retarded. Anyone with "on the ground" experience with "Big Ag" know exactly what they're doing and trying to do. Get your facts from real people and out of your arm chair.
edit on 1-6-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

About 80% of children born into a farm family on a modern farm are mentally retarded.

Guess what? I don't believe you.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Flesh699

About 80% of children born into a farm family on a modern farm are mentally retarded.

Guess what? I don't believe you.

That's ludicrous i have to agree with phage on this one.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join