It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House bill would require gun owners to have liability insurance

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
So to be clear, if you are too poor to afford the insurance, you get charged TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?
How is this not blatantly a way of disarming the poor? And how is specifically disarming the very people most likely to one day need the right to bear arms against a common oppressor not wildly unconstitutional?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is just the latest stupid idea in a long line of stupid ideas. No matter what it's intent may be, that will NOT be the effect it has. 2 things; First, like so many other laws the only people it will affect are those who were not, repeat NOT, the problem in the first place, but everyone else. Second, and most important, NO law in history has EVER prevented a crime. A law was passed to make murder a crime, did it stop people from killing,, NO. A law was passed to keep guns out of the hands of felons, did it,, NO. Heck a law was passed to stop people from driving too fast, did it,, HUGE NO. Something I learned a log time ago, PEOPLE WHO COMMIT CRIMES DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAWS. If they did they would not commit crimes.

Yes, by the way, I do view speeders as being worse than felons with a gun. More people are killed by peoples driving habits in one month then by guns in one year. Yes I also know that you need Ins. to drive a car. Does that stop people from speeding, drunk driving, or running stop signs and lights,, NO. Now here's the rub they don't mention in those laws. If I am speeding down the road and kill someone, among other things, I will get a ticket and fined for speeding. That money from that fine does not go to the family of the person I killed. It goes to the city or state depending on where it happened.

Now if I'm driving within the limit and a deer runs into the road and I hit the breaks to keep from hitting it but then get hit by the car behind me, who didn't see the deer, and I die is it the others drivers fault ? I know a lot of people might say yes, but the truth is that it's really the deer's fault. Yes it's just an animal, but my point is that the blame for any of it falls on the one who is the cause of the death, not those around them at the time. This is just another law that would punish the innocent for the acts of others. I am 50 years old and have been driving since the age of 12. In that time I have received 1 ticket when I was 17 for speeding, and have never crashed a car, not even a fender bender, but I still have to pay a monthly fine. Yes I call it a FINE because the law says I have to pay it no matter how good my driving record is. Now they want me to pay a FINE even though I have had and been around guns all my life, and never once killed someone. All this because of some future act, that will likely never happen, that someone MIGHT break into my house, steal my gun and kill someone with it. How is what they do my fault ? People have to stop blaming others for their mistakes. It's killing this country.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The usual suspects propose crap like this in every single legislative session. 99.9% of it never makes it out of committee.

They're just pandering to their anti-gun base so they can say "See! I tried to do something but the unreasonable jerks in Congress kept ignoring it!"

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's very simple...

Insured = Registered = Confiscated

In that order.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
NRA membership comes with some coverage. Guess they want everyone to join the NRA.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

You must be a liberal as you obviously are rejecting the notion of Personal Responsibility.

You own weapons, you are responsible for how, where and when they are used and any seen or unforseen consequences of that 'personal freedom'.

Or - do you just what to do whatever the F you want and have other people pay for you???

Well?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Quick question, would the police departments have to carry firearm insurance too? I mean, just to make sure victims of gun violence are fairly compensated?

Just wondering...?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

IF so GOD forbid if you know or have taken any MARTIAL ARTS thats BOUND to kick up your premium.
Military AND combat arms ? YEAH they won't cover you too much of a risk...
edit on 30-5-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sepermeru

Disarmed, and dependent upon the oh-so benevolent federal govt. Two birds with one stone, don't you know?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

They already HAVE voluntary insurance...www.usconcealedcarry.net... RD4gbngqe7mosYBEiQAIB5oTNb-j3Z8iGQdDuzYNHVwcZ-FYTHym9qbM2c7Lxh3Ws8aAp_j8P8HAQ

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Has it been determined how much this insurance would cost?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Has it been determined how much this insurance would cost?

You just gave me an idear!!!!!

Government should create a insurance program and call it gunaid!

Lets see now if they support 'gun insurance'.
edit on 30-5-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I would have thought every gun owner would like to have the opportunity to obtain liability insurance for their guns; I know I would.

Imagine a scenario, which is not all that uncommon, where someone takes a gun you own and commits a crime with it; especially murder. If I am a family member of a victim of your gun, then I am going to sue you into oblivion, leaving you in destitute. Now, imagine having liability insurance that would cover your ass if such an event were to occur. Which would you rather; pay a modest premium for insurance OR find a nice bridge to live under?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Insurance equals, in my mind, registration.

Registration equals, in my mind, the possibility of confiscation.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

What are the odds that that scenario is going to happen? Unlikely in the extreme. But unlikely doesn't mean no chance.

Like I said... Paranoid. ...of course, what in the past few years hasn't given us reason to be paranoid where the behaviour of our govt. are concerned?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I would have thought every gun owner would like to have the opportunity to obtain liability insurance for their guns; I know I would.

I wouldn't.

I think any, and all gun regulation is stupid, and Gun 'insurance' is stupid.

How am I or any other gun owners responsible for the actions of what a small percentage of the population does.

Especially so when the ACT of is already against the law.

Murder is illegal.

Guns are an object like any other.

I guess that consitution is just a GD piece of paper.

Because gun insurance, and all the other regulation is a willful violation of almost the entire bill of rights.

Gun insurance is a infringement of the 2nd,4th,5th,6th7th,8th,9th, and 10th amendments.

A crime that a person has comitted has to be PROVEN in a court of law.

99% of gun owners commit no crime, Never see their day in a court of law, and 8th where is says excess bailes or fines covers gun insurance as cruel or unusual punishment.

The only thing gun insurance does is another bailout for the lawyers.

Where they get to make billions off of 'we the people'.

No one should support that asinine idea by the Democrat in NY.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Insurance equals, in my mind, registration.

Registration equals, in my mind, the possibility of confiscation.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

What are the odds that that scenario is going to happen? Unlikely in the extreme. But unlikely doesn't mean no chance.

Like I said... Paranoid. ...of course, what in the past few years hasn't given us reason to be paranoid where the behaviour of our govt. are concerned?

Your right it's registration.

Just like auto,motorcycle, and every other 'property' is.

All those have to be registered with the insurance company.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace

Imagine a scenario, which is not all that uncommon, where someone takes a gun you own and commits a crime with it; especially murder. If I am a family member of a victim of your gun, then I am going to sue you into oblivion, leaving you in destitute. Now, imagine having liability insurance that would cover your ass if such an event were to occur. Which would you rather; pay a modest premium for insurance OR find a nice bridge to live under?

Umm Not reallly. See Your gun was taken by THEFT and anything done with it you did not have control over. The One to be sued would be the CRIMINAL if he was still alive. A suet against the owner would be easily dismissed. Do they sue people whose car was stolen in the commission of a crime? NO they dont.

Everyone arguing about the responsibility of the gun owner to get insurance needs to remember it will infringe on their rights. Driving a CAR is not a RIGHT in the constitution is it? If it was then id also say no to insurance then too. There is no right to a house,or health care either.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wasn't Obamacare enough of a handout for these insurance companies?

The idiot masses keep electing these people; which is why we get these dumb politicians with dumb ideas. Anyone with an IQ lower than above average should also be required to obtain liability insurance; just in case they accidentally kill someone or themselves with their own stupidity.

It has been so long since I was honestly surprised by any bill brought up in D.C. This almost had me, but then I remembered all the other bills. We deserve everything we get at this point.

(post by Leno2 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

THEN we could protest because WE can't afford better guns,because THE MAN keeps Combat vets DOWN!

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join