It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters run their hose through ‘illegally’ parked car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

That's fine, but the UK manages quite well without laws controlling where people can park their cars regarding hydrants.
Perhaps it was cheaper for the US to have less hydrants per street compared to us or something, thus requiring a greater need to protect access to them for the fire service.
Ah well, first world problems after all, I'm glad the UK fire services do not struggle to put fires out because a car is parked next to the hydrant lol.
Maybe you'll catch up with us technologically one day and there will be no need for red paint on the roads.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Let's say a fire broke out with an occupant passed out from smoke inhalation. All the surrounding hydrants are blocked because people were parked over top of them. You said they'd take the time to move a car if they had to. I'm sure that takes up more time than busting a window out of a car. But wait! That wouldn't even help because your hydrants are underground. Meanwhile, while the firefighters in the US would have already been in the building, your firefighters have just finished moving a car.

Efficiency at its finest.

Maybe you all will catch up to us one day with red paint and above ground hydrants.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Generally no need to move any cars as our hydrants are under the pavement/sidewalk.
Cars are not allowed to park on the pavement, and any cars next to the hydrant cause no problems as we have a modern hose/connector system. Smashing car windows for hose access is unheard of in the UK, our system is clearly one which does not require such silliness or red paint on the roads.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Cars are not allowed to park on the pavement,

Aha! So there is restrictions to your parking. So there's not really much difference at all!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Cars are not allowed to park on the pavement,

Aha! So there is restrictions to your parking. So there's not really much difference at all!
Haha no not at all, pavements/sidewalks are for people, roads are for cars.
Cars can be legally parked 'on the road' by any hydrant.
I see a big difference.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You really think your pos cars window is more important then a persons life?

What happens when there is a multi car crash in the street and its blocking a couple of those ground hook ups? Seems like the dumbest idea you guys thought of yet.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

You really think your pos cars window is more important then a persons life?
That statement is your invention alone. I did not assert that as you well know.
I'm saying your piece of # hydrant system is laughable if your firefighters cannot negotiate an obstacle such as a car parked next to it.

What happens when there is a multi car crash in the street and its blocking a couple of those ground hook ups? Seems like the dumbest idea you guys thought of yet.
They are every 20 to 50 yards away from each other so never a problem. Perhaps your nation could not afford to have so many access points for water?

*Edit*
There was a massive fire at a hotel in my street a couple of years ago, multiple fire engines/trucks, multiple hoses up and down the street all running over, under, and around parked cars. Your hydrant/hose system must be pretty crap if smashing the windows and feeding the hose through the car was the only option as claimed in the OP. Either really really crap, or just disgruntled fire fighters because "Oh noes, they parked illegally by a hydrant!"
Wow, you guys are much more controlled than us...again, I wonder if jay-walking is a crime in that street as well lol, we don't have that here either.
edit on 30.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

That's fine, but the UK manages quite well without laws controlling where people can park their cars regarding hydrants.
Perhaps it was cheaper for the US to have less hydrants per street compared to us or something, thus requiring a greater need to protect access to them for the fire service.
Ah well, first world problems after all, I'm glad the UK fire services do not struggle to put fires out because a car is parked next to the hydrant lol.
Maybe you'll catch up with us technologically one day and there will be no need for red paint on the roads.

Annoying little troll, go away.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Epirus

Ah, so in a discussion forum where I am conforming to the ToS, just because we disagree, you cry troll?
Oh dear, that is more like what I would expect on fakebook.
Do you care to pull me up in discussion? This is a discussion site after all.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I know what you're saying there but, believe it or not, firefighters can be dicks as well. And some people think some firefighters are lazy, attention seeking dicks. Not me of course.......

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reasons NOT to run hoses under cars :

1 - hot exhausts / catalytic converters [ can burn a hole in hose ]

2 - air // hydraulic suspensions [ can lower when parked and crush // constrict the hose ]

3 - idiotic drivers [ the type who have already parked illegally ] who figure they better now move the car - with the hose still under it .

having said all that - OVER the car is faster - and dont give me the kink // bend radius excuse - HINT how do you get a fire hose round a 90 degree turn in a corridor ???

throught the windows is to invite puncture risk .

ETA :

just my opinion but the firefighters do this - cos they know they can get away with vandalising illegally parked cars .

edit on 30-5-2015 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
having said all that - OVER the car is faster - and dont give me the kink // bend radius excuse - HINT how do you get a fire hose round a 90 degree turn in a corridor ???

throught the windows is to invite puncture risk
Exactly.
All the outrage I read on page one of this thread about "Parking on red lines!!!" was ridiculous as I saw it.
That, or the US has a crap hydrant/hose system for firefighting when an obstacle such as a car is parked within a foot or two.
My money is on disgruntled firefighters because someone 'broke the rules' not because it actually caused a problem.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

throught the windows is to invite puncture risk .

Pretty sure they have the tools that pretty much shatter the window and they clean it up if needed.
I think porcelain tipped hammers do the trick, which car escape tools have if I am not mistaken.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Either way though, pretty crap national system of hydrants and hoses if a car parked too close requires it's windows being smashed to feed a hose through.
I don't buy it.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This isn't the UK. We sometimes go a long distance before even able to reach a hydrant access point. We've had to use water from a neighbors swimming pool temporarily here. Why would we waste 15 minutes trying to find a different access point because some idiot parked in front of the hydrant?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoverBoy
This isn't the UK.
I feel for you

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LoverBoy

Most cities implement regulations on how hydrants are placed. It all depends on the type of structures, the size of the pipes, and whether it is within city limits or not.

As a general guideline (every city is different), multiple occupancy buildings (apartments, townhomes, etc) are required to have a hydrant every 400ft. Single Occupancy homes are every 600 ft. Then it goes on to pipe type, no more than one hydrant on a 6in line. No more than two hydrants on an 8in line. This is to ensure adaquate line pressure.

It's like I've said over and over, it has everything to do with efficiency and time management.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The feeling is mutual.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
It's like I've said over and over, it has everything to do with efficiency and time management.

Yep, and just laying the hose over the car like UK firefighters are able to often and easily do lol.

*Edit*
Your hydrant system sounds terrible if a car parked in the 'wrong' place causes so many problems.
edit on 30.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This is not a garden hose so comparing this to a household hose is rather dumb. D=2R. If this is a 2 inch hose, when charged you will have a 4 inch charged line pushing around 1500 gallons of water per minute. Running this under a car produces more hazards as if it brushes against or expands against something it can explode and injure people. Running it on top of the car is not as level as running it through the car. You need maneuverability while inside fighting the fire and kinks are more prevalent when not level therefore making this more dangerous. A hydrants 4 inch hookup for your supply line is about a foot or two off the ground and many times making it level with the connecter. We have tools to make clean window breaks where shards wont be affected.

Another issue with running the line under the car is if the person runs in to move the car. If they run over the line it immediately has to be pulled and inspected before put back in service before use. This is valuable time.

You don't have to believe or agree with the way it is done, but it is the safest most practical way which is why it is taught this way.
edit on 30-5-2015 by LoverBoy because: spelling on this tablet...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join