It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters run their hose through ‘illegally’ parked car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

PENNSAUKEN, NJ - A photos shows two windows of a black Honda SUV smashed out with a hose through the vehicle. Firefighters say that it was illegally parked in front of a hydrant

This is funny. She came home at 4:15 and there was a stranger on the street so she parked in front of a hydrant and ran in the house. Minutes later a fire breaks out down the street and along come the firefighters, smashing car windows and taking names. Best story you could have on why your windows were smashed in.

#SelfieS+F

Source
edit on 3052015 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

Yes!
If my house burns down because someone was illegally parked, I would be very unhappy. I think the firefighters should knock out all their windows!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
They could have ran the house underneath the vehicle...

I guess they thought two wrongs make a right.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Oh wow. I have to wonder why they couldn't pass it over the hood of the car for instance? Seems more like they were intent on making a statement that would seem to "justify their destruction of property" while their mandate is to save property.

+8 more 
posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah2

1. The house would not fit under the car without the assistance of a heavy-lift helicopter.
2. No - they probably thought "two broken windows make it possible to make the connection to the hydrant outlet and not cause a kink in the hose and lose or reduce flow if we try to go under the car and hook it up because the discharge rate is about 500m3/hr when we turn it on"
3. As the Fire chief said "windows can be replaced - lives cannot"

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
On the money as usual my friend.

Cars illegally parked in the fire lane in front of stores will have hoses through them.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Kinks and friction come into play. 4 - 5 inch hose trying to drag under a car.... Not going to be easy. Fastest and easiest method is through the car. Typically 500-1000 gallons in your tank which runs out quick. They need that supply line to the hydrant ASAP.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: Bovah2

1. The house would not fit under the car without the assistance of a heavy-lift helicopter.
2. No - they probably thought "two broken windows make it possible to make the connection to the hydrant outlet and not cause a kink in the hose and lose or reduce flow if we try to go under the car and hook it up because the discharge rate is about 500m3/hr when we turn it on"
3. As the Fire chief said "windows can be replaced - lives cannot"

1. I meant hose, not house.

2. I actually work with firehydrants on an almost daily basis, and the hoses used can be safely used with a kink in them. The firefighters were just being dicks.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I thought everyone knew about this? The movies taught me this when I was just a child, park in front of a hydrant and this could happen.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bovah2

Firefighters aren't dicks. They're fighting a fire and don't have time to save a window because someone illegally parked in front of their water source. They literally do not have time to run a hose under the car.

Police can be dicks, but everyone loves a firefighter.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Nope just don't park in front of a hydrant.

That red paint is there for a reason.

If you can't be bothered to find somewhere else to park why should the firefighters be bothered to work around your car?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Firefighters aren't dicks. They're fighting a fire and don't have time to save a window because someone illegally parked in front of their water source. They literally do not have time to run a hose under the car.

Police can be dicks, but everyone loves a firefighter.

It only takes literally a second to throw a hose underneath a suv.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

And it takes a second to find a different spot.

You don't park in front of fire hydrants, it is very simple.They do not have to work around your car, they will work thru it.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No it doesn't. Firemen have to make snap decisions and time can't be wasted running a hose under a car. Now what if that hose gets kinked under the car, how are they supposed to correct it?

Why you're defending someone breaking the law and shaming someone who is trying to stop a fire is beyond me.

No firemen is going to run a hose under a car and over a curb to save a window because that's stupid. Parking in front of a hydrant is stupid. I hope the police also issue that person a ticket to go with their broken window so they'll learn from their mistake.

I support all firemen breaking the windows of illegally parked cars in front of hydrants.
edit on 30-5-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hahaha only in America eh?!
"Ooh they were parked illegally!"
"That red paint is there for a reason"
"Parking in front of a hydrant is stupid"

Here in the UK fire hydrants are underground:

There are no laws stopping us parking near them, and if access to one is blocked then the firefighters just use the next one up the road, although I have known them to shove a car out of the way when they needed to.
Red paint and laws against parking near hydrants?
Your system of hydrants, hoses and connectors must be pretty piss poor if your firefighters cannot negotiate obstructions like the UK fire services can.

edit on 30.5.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Nope just don't park in front of a hydrant. 

Ding, ding, ding. ... we have a winner!

Here would be a perfect way for cops to take out their aggression. Why not pass a law that if a cop sees a car parked next to a hydrant, they can break all the windows out of the car and knock the lights out too... and no ticket, just a note saying "Later dumbass."

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So is your hydrant system of hoses and connectors in the US that poor you cannot negotiate obstacles?
We don't have that problem in the UK, and we can park anywhere near hydrants.
Sounds antiquated to me.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

They probably could if they had to, but they don't.
It is known that you don't park in front of a hydrant or this happens.

Don't get how it makes sense to make the firefighters work around you like you describe in the UK...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: grainofsand

They probably could if they had to, but they don't.
It is known that you don't park in front of a hydrant or this happens.

Don't get how it makes sense to make the firefighters work around you like you describe in the UK...

Urm...probably because as you said, they don't have to. Unless of course your system of hydrants and connectors is so poor that smashing a car window is the only option.
You can park wherever you like near hydrants in the UK, I guess our fire services have magic tools like 90 degree pipe elbows and flexible hoses or whatever. There has never been any calls for laws preventing people parking near hydrants, and certainly for me I find the story in the OP rather bizarre.

I have a couple of firefighter mates, I'll ask when I see them next, but from this side of the pond it just seems like more needless control over your populace. I wonder if the same street is controlled by jay-walking laws as well, lol, we don't have any of that silliness here either.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
and if access to one is blocked then the firefighters just use the next one up the road,

Has nothing to do with a poor layout of hydrents. It's called practicality. If a building is burning, it's common sense to use the closest hydrant available. You don't waste time going to a hydrant the next block up. It takes extra time to run a long hose to the hydrant. Then even more time to get the hose to the burning building.

Every second counts during a structure fire.
edit on 5/30/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join