It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 Quake Just hit Japan- southern islands- Reduced from 8.5

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have a friend in Japan, and he posted this on Facebook this morning..

16 hrs ·
a slow but big earthquake is shaking Tokyo right now, for the past minute... feels like a big floating island.
Like · Comment · Share

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

do you mean this one, or do you know of this one?
ERPA

That one is approximately 150 miles away from me.
I usually check this one, it's a lot closer:

rev.seis.sc.edu...

WOQ

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican
Now, that's using your noodle. Kudos.

I've little to add to your observations on that point, but there's one thing I'll mention. You're aware of it but others might not be.

Back when the huge Tōhoku quake occurred in March 2011, it took the experts by surprise for several reasons. But one was that they were all expecting the next "big one" to be much farther south, in roughly the same region as the Great Kantō earthquake of 1923. So even when the mag 7.3 occurred a couple of days before the 9.0 (in March 2011), few suspected it was actually a foreshock. Or if they did, they kept those suspicions to themselves.

Even now, I've seen little coming out of Japan that indicates any concerns re this mag 7.8 and the subsequent 6.2 (downgraded from 6.4) in the same fault region. Even their national TV broadcaster NHK isn't focusing on it at all; instead, they're reporting on the volcanic eruption on a small island way off to the west from there. And that volcano is so far away it's unlikely to have any causative connection with the quake events we've been discussing.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's just your imagination. And more easily available news updates from around the world and better detection equipment to know about these deep quakes in the first place. But it's not that this is happening any more than it ever did in the past.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Perspective is a phenomenal thing. Two people living in the same world and they are having entirely different experiences. How do you explain that?
Or could it Just be a matter of where our respective attention goes? Think that's it.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Since you don't care I guess it's pointless to try and set you straight.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: JustMike

Seriously I think you gotta be nuts to live in Japan. If the tsunamis or quakes don't get you, the volcanoes will.

Hi guys :-)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Thx for the reply...i suspected it was my imagination,after all i have only really spent any time focusing on earth quakes after the Japan disaster in 2011....

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yeah I know. Tragedies like that can really impact our personal experiences. They stick if you get where I'm coming from.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
To put it all somewhat into perspective, the past year or so has been relatively quiet earthquake-wise and we have only had an uptick recently. It could be a case of things just getting back to business as usual. I've experienced frequent earthquakes since living here. I've been here 10 years. The last year or so was unusually sedate.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Far out another massive quake.....is it just my imagination or are there an above average amount of large quakes in the recent past ?

There were more than 200 earthquakes registered in the state of Kansas for 2014...a state that is well known for its tornadoes, but NOT earthquakes. I've been on the USGS, as well as the local media, about reporting the man-made component to these quakes. Only now, are they finally starting to state that it IS, in fact, related to the deep injection wells...due to the timing between injections and quakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join