It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions seek exemption from LA minimum wage law they helped pass

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Because they know the law is a business killer, this was the plan all along to force companies to go union and line the fat cats pockets.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
It's working in San Francisco, why wouldn't it work in LA?

Do some of you believe union membership is nothing more than paying dues? Anything bad for union busting employers is great for employees.

Are you all just missing the point of the exemption? Raise your wages or unionize your employees. It's a win/win for employees.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
It's working in San Francisco, why wouldn't it work in LA?

It won't be $15 until 2018. It's $12.25 right now, up from $11. Not much change, and already businesses are uneasy over the rising cost.

On Valencia Street, an avenue that includes thrift stores, galleries and eclectic boutiques, some merchants don’t want to talk publicly about the minimum wage, because the arguments have been so divisive.

www.sacbee.com...

Do some of you believe union membership is nothing more than paying dues? Anything bad for union busting employers is great for employees.

Are you being paid by a Union? Here the Union forces a vote to join every year and every year the WORKERS refuse to join because they know Unions are not for the little guy any more.

The workers refuse, I guess anything that is bad for workers who don't want to unionize is also good right? Heil Union!

Are you all just missing the point of the exemption? Raise your wages or unionize your employees. It's a win/win for employees.

So making the same wage, with the same benefits, and now paying dues is good? What crazy town did you grow up in?

Hint: The UNION said you can not live on a wage under $15/hr. They are now saying they are in favor of paying their workers, they represent, a NON LIVABLE WAGE.

Right, that Union, always looking out for it's peoples.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Here the Union forces a vote to join every year and every year the WORKERS refuse to join because they know Unions are not for the little guy any more.

The success of the right-wing brainwashing campaign is nearly complete. 'Unions are bad! Don't join them, they don't do anything for you!' It's kind of along the same lines of not voting for politicians, 'What has the government ever done for you? Just stay home, don't perpetuate the concept of voting!'

Why don't unions work for the workers? Because they stay home during union meetings. Because they don't involve themselves in contract negotiations. This idea that 'the union' will take care of everything for you when you are the union, then complaining when things don't go the way you wanted them to.

It's a pervasive apathy across the country. If you don't include yourself on matters that affect you then how do expect anything to change in your life?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Let me explain to you how this works:

Right now a business has a choice between union or non-union in many places. This would more or less attempt to make it so that the choice is essentially no choice for anyone. Most businesses would more or less be forced to opt for union labor to meet bottom line, and most workers would have no option except to work for union shops.

Businesses lose. Workers lose.

Unions win, and the politicians they donate to also win.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The "Right Wing" brainwashing is not what's lessening union membership.

Too many workers are getting screwed by some unions.

If it all was go good, people would still hold values in unions.

Plus many old union jobs are long gone anyway thanks to Progressive economic polices.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Awesome changing of the goal posts, exactly what I expect from you.

"Businesses hate unions workers want them, they only don't work because of businesses."

But the workers are the one rejecting the union.

"Unions only don't work because of the workers."

So basically Unions are awesome, and everyone but Unions are to blame for Unions screwing people over.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

At the risk of detracting from the real argument I'd like to point out that I never said 'only,' because that implies that only one possibility exists for a suggested outcome.

Unions don't exist in a vacuum where it's one way or another with no possibility between or outside the two. Why don't Wal-Mart workers unionize? A combination of firing union-friendly employees and explaining to the other employees how unions are bad, there's even, very likely, other external factors at play.

Is everything the major unions do good? Paying their CEO's millions in annual income? Not really, modern unions have very much strayed from their ideological foundations. The OP isn't one of them, it expands the unions. There isn't one big union, there's hundreds of them. An IBEW worker doesn't call an SEIU representative when he's got a problem. When unions are strong, workers thrive. Why? Because they have a say in their employment, they're not at the beck and call of their employer, they don't live and die by the clock.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Walmart is a horrible company, and definitely employ anti-union tactics.

Walmart being horrible does not make Unions good.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

So if Wal-Mart elected to allow their employees to unionize rather than pay them $15/hour, would you view that as a good thing or a bad thing?

When I talk about the good a union does, I'm not talking about the 'good' companies that treat their employees well and have substantial benefits. I'm talking about the Wal-Mart's and the Wal-Mart wannabes that cut hours and change schedules arbitrarily, that fire people for sick days, that don't raise wages and threaten employees that ask for them. Not all businesses are benevolent employers that are good stewards of the economy and their community, that's what I think unions are good for. Fighting against the bad companies.

edit on 2-6-2015 by links234 because: I...a word

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

So if Wal-Mart elected to allow their employees to unionize rather than pay them $15/hour, would you view that as a good thing or a bad thing?

Horrible. Target pays $15/hr and Unionized Walmart pays $9. How is that good for the workers?

When I talk about the good a union does, I'm not talking about the 'good' companies that treat their employees well and have substantial benefits. I'm talking about the Wal-Mart's and the Wal-Mart wannabes that cut hours and change schedules arbitrarily, that fire people for sick days, that don't raise wages and threaten employees that ask for them. Not all businesses are benevolent employers that are good stewards of the economy and their community, that's what I think unions are good for. Fighting against the bad companies.

Just because there are bad companies does not make Unions good. That's a logical fallacy. They can both be bad. Unions are encouraged by the system to be corrupt, same as businesses.

What America needs is a new type of system along the lines of a 3rd party arbitrator that has little to gain from corruption, and a system set up that encourages fairness to both employees and employers.

This "Us vs. Them" system the Unions love is part of what is wrong with America, it's part of the culture of division that is growing every day.

Unions can be good or bad, just like employers can be. The system sucks, it's broken, and we need something new. The Union fat cats getting rich off your back will never let it happen. Unions are just as much part of what is wrong.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So dont have unions and keep having the karges recepients of welfare per capita oft the g7

top topics

<< 1   >>

join