It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Arizona Memorial suffers damage in collision

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
When the USNS Mercy was leaving Pearl Harbor early Wednesday, either the ship (894 feet, 69,000 tons), or one of the harbor tugs struck the USS Arizona Memorial, that sits above the remains of the Arizona, which was sunk December 7th, 1941 during the Japanese attack on the harbor. The floating dock that allows visitors to go on and off the memorial had to be removed, due to significant damage. It was pushed almost 10 feet in the collision. The memorial also suffered damage, and is undergoing inspection. Visitors have been restricted until June 4th.

The Mercy was under direction of two tugboats, belonging to P&R Water Taxi, as well as a harbor pilot as it was leaving the dock area. The accident is being investigated to determine what roles they played in the accident. Fortunately, it doesn't appear that the Arizona herself was hit, nor did she apparently suffer any damage due to the impact to the Memorial. The impact occurred before the first visits to the Memorial, so no one was on board at the time of the accident.

The captain of the naval hospital ship involved in a collision with the World War II memorial in Pearl Harbor is a former sailor who retired with multiple decorations.

The master of the USNS Mercy -- the equivalent of the commanding officer -- is Capt. Thomas Giudice, a retired sailor and current civilian mariner who's responsible for navigating the vessel while underway at sea, among other duties, a Navy official said.

The 894-foot-long, 69,000-ton hospital ship, or possibly one of the two tug boats transiting her out of the harbor, struck the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor early Wednesday morning. Tours of the memorial, which gets more than 4,000 visitors a day, were suspended until June 4 because of the accident.

www.foxnews.com... ite

The Memorial was always one of my favorite things to see when I lived there. The museum was incredible, and the Memorial itself was incredible to go out to. The Arizona to this day still "weeps" for the dead that are interred on her. It's an incredible experience to look down at her and see her resting under the water. Thank god she wasn't hit.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Wow glad to hear she wasn't hit...

Only visited it once but it was powerful...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Aside from the emotional aspect of her getting hit, it would have been a disaster. They're still trying to find a safe way to get all that oil off her. Her sides are getting paper thin, and they really need to get that off. A ship the size of Mercy would have caused a lot of damage to her if she hit.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is there a way to prevent further ships from moving through that area? Unfortunately, I've never been to the memorial so I'm unfamiliar with the area. I would have thought ship movement would be prohibited anywhere near the memorial.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Is it the long white building in the pic?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes, that's the memorial.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I hope they repair it then. I'm glad the actual ship wasn't damaged in the collision.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

The dock in the left side of the picture suffered the most damage, but the memorial itself suffered at least some cracks.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

They don't normally get that close to it when they're going in and out. The only thing I can think of is that the put Mercy out at the Ford Island docks, instead of the normal docks that they use for the warships.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Does the memorial have a glass bottom or do you look through the door like openings? The water looks very clear. It must be a chilling view.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The top and sides of the middle of it have openings cut into it, so you can look out and down on the Arizona herself under the memorial, and see the oil leaking out of it. The flag that is flying, is actually mounted on the ship herself, and not the memorial.

When you walk in from the dock, the entire memorial is beautiful white marble, and you look out at the water and the ship, and then at the other end, the entire wall has the names of those killed, and those still on her cut into it. It's incredibly powerful, and absolutely beautiful to go to in person.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

That is beautiful, and powerful. How many names are on the wall?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

There were 1,177 sailors killed on the Arizona, many of them are still interred in her hull. There were a total of 2,403 killed during the attack.
edit on 5/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

That's a tremendous amount of people.
The ship looks large in the pic. How many people did it take to crew it?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

looking at those pictures is making me cry...we visited there 15 years ago...there is such a powerful feeling...I don't have any relatives on that ship but, I cried like a baby when I was there....even the small children all behaved, like they somehow knew... a lot of people put their leis in the water inside the memorial....somehow the sound was recorded when the USS Arizona was struck and they play it for you as part of the tour... it is amazing

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The memorial is mesmerizing.

I've been there three times. Once with family the first time I went...too young to really get it.

The second time I went was with a friend from Europe.

The third time, I went by myself, and I wound up watching her weep for her boys for a couple of hours... It's so quiet there. Loudly dressed tourists. Old veterans. ...and me. It's hard to watch an old man wearing a USS Arizona hat sobbing almost uncontrollably. So I didn't, I turned away and let him have the railing, and kinda steered people away. Eventually, another older veteran, and a Navy personnel, finally got him to walk away. It was heart rending to witness...

This is the first time I've told anyone that story...

I'm so glad she wasn't hit.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I have one, possibly two, relatives on board her.

My dad's cousin, and maybe another more distant cousin.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Actually it's not chilling at all. At least to me...

It's saddening. I don't have the words to describe the other feelings she brings to the fore.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
it could have been much worse with lots more damage
someone or something must have been watching over them

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You're spot on. While I've never been to Pearl Harbor, I have been to DC. The WW2, the wall, Korean war memorial, and Arlington. It really is an overwhelming experience that is impossible to put into words. I hope I'm able to make it to Pearl Harbor one day.

edit on 5/29/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join