It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY-bound passenger jet reports near-miss with drone at 2700 ft ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Ok....granted I do not know much about drones that civilians can fly, but how many are there that can hit 2700 ft altitudes? That sounds like a very custom built, likely very expensive drone. I thought these things were only capable of around 1000 ft or so. According to this story, this airliner had to swerve up to avoid hitting this one at a pretty high altitude.

Source

A commercial airliner narrowly missed colliding midair with a drone at 2,700 feet as it neared New York's LaGuardia Airport Friday morning, just hours after a string of incidents involving lasers pointed at planes, according to federal officials.

The pilot reportedly had to swerve upward over Brooklyn's Prospect Park in order to avoid the drone as the plane neared the airport. The incident followed several earlier instances of pilots reporting they had lasers pointed at them near New York airports.

According to the story, this also happened a few hours after pilots were targeted in the area with green lasers.

So....anyone know the limits for altitudes on drones? I have read that actual government drones have a limit of flying no lower than 3000 feet, but can a commercial drone reach that high? Or one that is affordable for most?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There are two different sort of drones . A quad copter type that us Hobbyists build that can go about 500 feet or so. Then there are UAVs which the media erroneously calls drones used by the military. They can go roughly 50k feet for 36 hours at a time. Small aircraft really.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Legman
There are two different sort of drones . A quad copter type that us Hobbyists build that can go about 500 feet or so. Then there are UAVs which the media erroneously calls drones used by the military. They can go roughly 50k feet for 36 hours at a time. Small aircraft really.

Yeah...that is the reason I am asking about this. The article makes it out like this was a civvy drone. I did not know there were any that could go this high. Possibly a police drone that is capable of this height? Hell, I wouldn't think a pilot could even spot a small drone flying....it isn't like they see birds when they hit.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Then you are right. I've never heard of a hobbyists type of quad copter drone going that high and I stay on top of the technology. But you never know what the government has. This question should be posed to the aeronautics enthusiasts in the aero forum. They have incredible knowledge in this stuff.

Great find s&f

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is just my paranoia but...It could be an attempt to down planes by distracting pilots with lasers and trying to get a drone to take out an engine...voila- big incident. I certainly hope these airports have this type of shxt under some kind of control. Most likely not. I'd say it was a close call

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
yes, we can see when keeping our scan up....specially clear sunshine.
I wonder why more incidents are not being published. in the old days air traffic was worse-off....for a commercial liner.
Like the air force doing test dives and hitting the wing of an airliner. Drones violate the rule we pilots have...."see and be seen ".....I dropped out of that career for safety concerns. and I'm a gunfighter....366th tactical air force 1972

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Some FPV planes can go way higher than that. Some have even been flown from space, just YouTube fpv.
The technology exists not only for extreme heights but also long horizontal distances, some up to 80km.
You can achieve that for less that 3000 dollars. Check out Flite Test on YouTube, these guys are at the forefront of the technology.
I'm getting into it myself.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
soon we will see drones being used with homemade explosives being crashed into planes to take em down

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The DJI Phantom quadcopter can reach 5-7,000 feet.
Quadcopter to 2460 feet.
Multiple types including the Phantom 2, which has a maximum altitude of almost 9,000 feet.
Phantom at over 14,000 feet.
edit on 5/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
delete
edit on 5/29/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
interesting. I thought the flame wheel I assembled from dji was their highest at like 1200ft (and that's only if I want to lose my 1400 dollar investment.

I'll research from my computer later because I think I need one of those 3k feet ones!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Legman

Several of them can be set to fly autonomously. An md4-1000 flew across the Alps autonomously as an experiment. They can reach higher altitudes than the ones that I linked, but the FAA and other regulatory agencies limit their altitudes in various areas, so it's fly at your own risk if you take them too high.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Great info man, thanks

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
We're being set up by the media to support a ban on civilian quadcopters. It's only a matter of time.

The incidents around the white house, the talks about privacy, and now they're being painted as a threat to commercial aircraft.

It won't be long before the usual suspects are pushing for bans and/or strict regulation. Mark my words.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
We're being set up by the media to support a ban on civilian quadcopters. It's only a matter of time.

The incidents around the white house, the talks about privacy, and now they're being painted as a threat to commercial aircraft.

It won't be long before the usual suspects are pushing for bans and/or strict regulation. Mark my words.

Well that ruins my plans for a .50 mounted on a quad for home protection.....damnit!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Fixed wing UAV's can easily reach that altitude.

For $300 you can easily build a fixed wing UAV that can not only reach that altitude but also loiter there. Not legally though, of course.
edit on ppm531433204 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Answer

Well that ruins my plans for a .50 mounted on a quad for home protection.....damnit!

A .50 would be far too heavy and major overkill for a quadcopter. You'd need something the size of a swimming pool just to lift a Ma Deuce. Then you have to build-in a system to cope with the recoil.

You could do a belt-fed .22 that would be just as effective and much lighter. You could also run it suppressed so the folks have no idea where the shots are coming from.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
DJI Phantom 2 is a powerful drone. And even more powerful drones with more tech on them are coming out.

dji phantom 2 flight altitude record 1500 m 4921 feet Full video

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yessirr, that's the coolest video.....man I was RIGHT there....man with it.....above the clouds

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This one didn't make it too high:

www.seattletimes.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join