It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Religious Conservatism Embrace Ignorance?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
I respect the Libertarians on most foreign policies and on limiting non-violent crimes. I mainly have a problem with their domestic views that center around discrimination. To my understanding, Libertarians seem to want government to stay out of things even in cases of racism, bigotry, etc. It seems to be naive in thinking that people will eventually do the right thing, be it by rejecting the bigots or using an alternative to the bigot. But my entire family tree is proof that some people need to be forcefully reigned in or they'll just keep oppressing others.

I agree. I don't toe the Libertarian line completely. But also keep in mind that mainstream Libertarianism has been corrupted by non-Libertarian interests. Libertarians also want equality of freedom. In MY mind, making sure that all peoples share the same rights and privileges as everyone else regardless of race, religion, gender, or sexuality is very Libertarian. I'd prefer if the government didn't have to force people to not be bigoted in an economic setting, but I understand that without it there wouldn't be equality of rights.

Well yeah. Many people simply don't have anything else going for them in life. That's one reason why religions will always prosper among the poor; because economics, politics, hope for change, and every grand sounding ideology or leader has failed them. Also, you have people like me who were atrocious & despicable until their religious experiences changed them for the good. So telling someone like me that our beliefs are dumb or our experiences are false can obviously create a backlash.

BTW I don't mean that last comment in a negative way. I actually have no problem with most people, regardless of their beliefs or non-beliefs. And I've debated with so many different religions & ideologies that I don't get phased anymore (except w/racism & bigotry grrr). Though there is a single denomination I simply can't get along with. My belief system is just too fundamentally different from theirs. I can work with them, talk w/them, etc. But the second it comes to a discussion, we get heated & have to walk away from each other. I've literally never gotten along with a single one ideologically. Ironically, it's not Devil worshipers or the occult either lol. But I'll leave that for another day.

I can understand the hurt. You invest your whole trust in it being true and can't leave room for it not being true. So when someone comes along and says it isn't true, it hurts. I get it. I do, but I never mean any offense by it. To me, life is a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. People tend to find religion when they are down, then they attribute the religion to saving them when they inevitably go up again. But hey, whatever gets you through the day. I'm not going to fault you for believing in it. Like I said, these discussions are all impersonal to me.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

On a island with 350 million + would only that you should have plenty of people qualified to fill the function needed to get the job done . Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 lamb voting on what's for lunch .A community coming together to discuss issues and decide on the best coarse of action where all voices are heard is the best way .As it stands the politicians don't hear the people so it would not be a loss if that institute was gone .

new topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join