It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Religious Conservatism Embrace Ignorance?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

On social issues, Americans are more liberal than ever before. What's behind the sudden shift?

There is no sudden shift. It has nothing do with people being socially liberal or conservative, is has more to do with the natural evolution of people over time to be more accepting of that which is becoming more common.

You can see the same thing example occur over time in society after desegregation. Over time, more people simply accepted that black people were equals in our society. The same can be said with gay marriage.

More Americans now rate themselves as socially liberal than at any point in Gallup's 16-year trend, and for the first time, as many say they are liberal on social issues as say they are conservative.

Do you wonder why that is? This new generation, and even many among mine, are much more tolerant of people's individual choices and do not think it's any of our concern. The conservative mantra is "you shouldn't do that". That's an old-school way of thinking and it does not sit well, even with many "conservatives".

I think some liberals are stuck on the old school mentality, not willing to see that the conservatives are not the villains you want them to be

Some liberals are that way, yes. But the real problem is that there are many conservatives out there that are villains, and they will do all they can to drag this nation down with their antiquated and uninformed ideology.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Gays are not becoming more common in society. They are a steady less than 5% of the population. People think they are more common because of the way there is a gay character in almost every TV show now. It's a simple game of media perception versus reality. Likewise, gay marriage is also not more common despite being legalized. The same low percentage of gays are getting married as were wanting to be married prior to legalization.

And just because something is more commonly done in society does not make it a good thing. About 70% of African-American children are born to single parent mothers now. Can we agree that just because this is much more common than it used to be does not mean it is a good thing for the African-American community which is basically a shell of what it used to be before the family broke down?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Gays are not becoming more common in society.

Maybe not, but they are coming OUT and becoming more visible. That's the difference, they're not hiding in shame anymore.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Actually, compared to almost every other minority in the country, gays are over-represented in major media. Asians and Latinos should have more representation in prime time television than gays get. I'm surprised the SJWs aren't howling about it. Muslims should have more representation by percentage of the population on prime time TV.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Do you believe in Evolution? Do you believe in man made Climate Change? If you are a religious Conservative, chances are that the answer to both of those questions is no. This is odd, because science has pretty much determined that these are real things.

You should use the words stupidity and ignorance for evolution and climate change. Because there's no evolution and humans are not causing climate change.

originally posted by: Krazysh0tEven Conservative rhetoric is just another example of people being proud to be uninformed and willing to express it loudly. What's the first thing a conservative says about the colleges or school system in this country? They call them liberal indoctrination centers.

College and school systems teach about evolution which isn't a fact. How can something come from nothing?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: texastig
How can something come from nothing?

Why don't you ask your god to explain it to you???

Oh wait, he's nowhere to be found is he.

Guess you'll just have to figure out something for yourself for once. Don't worry though it's quite liberating once you try it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Muslims should have more representation by percentage of the population on prime time TV.

They are, haven't you noticed?? Every show has a bad guy.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: windword

Actually, compared to almost every other minority in the country, gays are over-represented in major media. Asians and Latinos should have more representation in prime time television than gays get. I'm surprised the SJWs aren't howling about it. Muslims should have more representation by percentage of the population on prime time TV.

Totally agree, however I think 5% is lowball if you take into consideration all the other alternative sexual lifestyles that may include homosexuality, bi, transgender, etc.

Gays do have a huge presence in the entertainment/media industry. They are creative, well educated, work hard, network within their community and tend to hire other gays when in a position of authority; and they often are. For every gay you see on screen, their are 10 working in production!

And this being the case...Gays are going to have a much broader and powerful influence on what is presented on the idiot box, silver screen and www.
edit on 1-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Actually, compared to almost every other minority in the country, gays are over-represented in major media.

Meh, I don't really think that's the case. I think that there was a push to portray gays in entertainment in shows Like "Will and Grace". More people are coming out and claiming their sexuality, people like Raven Simon and Anderson Cooper. For the most part, on TV, the "gay" person is still a "token" gay side show, like "Modern Family", in my opinion.

No one has ever had to come out as Asian or Hispanic. Although there are plenty Asian and Hispanics that have to endure and fight against stereotypes, it seems to me that "gays' are happy to embrace some kinds of character stereotypes on TV as better than nothing, for now.

What I do think that we're seeing is an echo, or an octave of, the sexual revolution of the 60s and 70s, only in a LGBT kind of way, this time. A recent "Two Broke Girls" episode had Max considering going "bi-sexual" is she didn't "get some" soon, for example. That show panders to a sexually promiscuous crowd, for a reason I suppose.

edit on 1-6-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That being said, I DO want to lean right politically. Believe it or not. It's just that mainstream conservative beliefs have become so ludicrous and dumb that I can't relate to it anymore. For one, why do I have to be religious to be a Conservative? Why do they HAVE to be linked? Naturally, some of you will tell me that they don't have to be, but all evidence shows that the modern conservative movement is intricately linked to religiousism, namely Christianity.

Back in the old days (pre-Ronald Reagan for POTUS) there was a large group of Christians that did not vote ("our citizenship is in heaven") because the Worldly affairs were not of primary concern, only how they as Christians should live within the World system.

In order to get this large constituency politically involved, a propaganda effort was launched to convince these Christians that they personally would be held accountable for every sin committed by anyone within society if they weren't publically opposing sin. Therefore they must vote against sin or be punished by God. That was the propaganda used against the Christians.

That's why these poor Christians must vote for the "against sin" politicians rather than for the "good public policy" candidates. Late 70s thru 80s propaganda. I guess it still goes on.

Christian right#History
The Christian right has been a notable force in both the Republican party and American politics since the late 1970s, when Baptist pastor Jerry Falwell and other Christian leaders began to urge conservative Christians to involve themselves in the political process. In response to the rise of the Christian right, the 1980 Republican Party platform assumed a number of its positions, including dropping support for the Equal Rights Amendment and adding support for a restoration of school prayer. While the platform also opposed abortion[6][7][15] and leaned towards restricting taxpayer funding for abortions and passing a constitutional amendment which would restore protection of the right to life for unborn children,[15] it also accepted that many Americans, including fellow Republicans, were divided on the issue.[15]

The Moral Majority was a prominent American political organization associated with the Christian right. It was founded in 1979 and dissolved in the late 1980s. It played a key role in the mobilization of Christians as a political force and in Republican presidential victories throughout the 1980s.

edit on 1-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
The ignorance comes from just believing that the Christian God is the one true god, implying all others are false. Its hammered into every Churchian. There is no proof of this, just believe it, just profess it, and just convince others to do the same.

Jesus said in John 14:6 that He is the way the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father without Him. Either Jesus was lying or He's telling the truth. And by His character I believe He's telling the truth.

To say there is no proof is fallacious. You haven't even looked at the data. Jesus is real like any other historical person. There's more manuscripts for the New Testament than any other ancient works.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Why don't you ask your god to explain it to you???

He's already explained it in the Bible. He can be found. I've figured it out.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Edit time expired. Add:

The origins of the Moral Majority can be traced to 1976, when Jerry Falwell embarked on a series of “I Love America” rallies across the country to raise awareness of social issues important to Falwell.[1] These rallies were an extension of Falwell’s decision to go against the traditional Baptist principle of separating religion and politics, a change of heart Falwell says he had when he perceived the decay of the nation’s morality
Moral_Majority#Before_establishment

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: texastig

Either Jesus was lying or He's telling the truth.

Or....The Bible isn't historically accurate or true, and no one knows what Jesus really said or if he even really existed at all.

edit on 1-6-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: texastig

To say there is no proof is fallacious. You haven't even looked at the data. Jesus is real like any other historical person. There's more manuscripts for the New Testament than any other ancient works.

Could you provide us links to that data so we could review it and make an informed decision. From an impartial site if possible.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Gays are not becoming more common in society. They are a steady less than 5% of the population

That's not what I said. What I did say is that our natural acceptance for the homosexual lifestyle is evolving in the same way as the example I provided.

And just because something is more commonly done in society does not make it a good thing. About 70% of African-American children are born to single parent mothers now. Can we agree that just because this is much more common than it used to be does not mean it is a good thing for the African-American community which is basically a shell of what it used to be before the family broke down?

Irrelevant. I fail to see how a cultural or societal issue (fatherless homes) have anything to do with social acceptance of someones color or sexual preferences. Apples and Oranges.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I can't speak for all Christians but embracing ignorance is SOOOOOOOOOOO much less work than any other religion. I have pamphlets on all the other religions and none of them were near as tolerant of my coon skin hat, lifted truck, bib overalls, and hate for gays or blacks. a reply to: introvert

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19406949]MoreCowbell
I have pamphlets on all the other religions and none of them were near as tolerant of my coon skin hat, lifted truck, bib overalls, and hate for gays or blacks.

Is that the new slogan for the Christian Church now???

I doubt you'll be the next spokesman for them any time soon, although you do seem to know their latest agenda.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
You sure sound like a typical progressive authoritarian than any libertarian I know. Please stop invoking "science" like you have some claim on it, I doubt your half as intelligent as Mendel, and he was a monk.

Instead of crying about how "dumb" religious conservatives are, would you please take your vast intellect and figure out why our genius "liberal" god king Hussein obozo is funding ISIS. Oh, and could you figure out how to get our space program back, I know its "conservative" to want that anti-science program, but your intellect is so vast I know you could get it done.

Thanks

edit on 2-6-2015 by pyramid head because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: texastig

How did I know you were from texas vefire seeing your name?.
Oh and also jesus is historical? Nope.
Show me texts written during his life and not years before.
Oh and god doesnt need religion.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join