It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Religious Conservatism Embrace Ignorance?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I find it amusing how people will downplay another ideology as if it has any bearing what-so-ever on intelligence.

It screams an elitist mentality. It shows absolutely no regard for another way of thought.

It illustrates a narrowness of vision.

"My way or the highway, puddin'-pop! If you don't agree with me, you are obviously not smart enough!"

On a personal level, I will remain ignorant. Because being ignorant means that I will continue to ask questions.

(It's the ones with all the answers that scare me)

(hee-yuk!)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My point is that intelligent discussion benefits everyone. Ignorant discussion just wastes everyone's time. I'm also trying to show that the reason for the great political divide is because one of the political leanings in this country has embraced ignorant discussions as a means to argue their points.

Is it really too much to ask that people have actual critical thinking skills? I mean I know that critical thinking is hard and people like the easy way out, but look what it is doing to our country! We are in a country where people strangely think that the religious affiliation of the President matters. That the government can blow up 3 buildings with a couple of airplanes, keep that a secret for years, but can't keep the lid on a massive world-wide spying program. That political pundits are somehow better informed on science than actual scientists. That history should be whatever you want it to be, as long as it doesn't offend your children. That this country is the "land of the free" yet has the highest incarceration rate in the world (and no one seems to want to fix that). Don't you see anything wrong with these concepts? Sure, some are interesting discussions and hypotheticals. But dammit none of them should be taken seriously! And they are all a distraction.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You are a perfect picture of the response I expected to get from religious conservatives. Never mind the fact that I backed up my claims of the religious right embracing ignorance with evidence of how those claims are wrong.

There is having an opinion and then there is denying reality. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own facts. Things are either true or they aren't. If your position can logically be shown to be inaccurate, it behooves you to update your thinking, not double down and write snarky responses because you are offended that your belief system just got associated with being ignorant. Or at the very least, actually produce an intelligent rebuttal to the points to show that I am wrong. Nah, instead you prove my point and opt for the low brow response.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I provide "low brow' responses simply because the arrogance in this room needed some "airing out".

Have you EVER been wrong?

Or have you always been super-awesome-perfect-awesome?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Why yes, I am wrong all the time. I admit it quite regularly on these forums. Hell I just finished typing a response in another thread where I admitted to an inaccuracy before I started writing this one.

But I only admit when I'm wrong when I'm actually PROVEN wrong. You haven't done that, so don't expect me to change my tune towards you until you actually do that.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think we are having two different discussions.. So I'll leave it there.

I'll try to figure out how to better communicate the concepts, as I clearly have not succeeded. Thank you for trying, at least.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why yes, I am wrong all the time. I admit it quite regularly on these forums. Hell I just finished typing a response in another thread where I admitted to an inaccuracy before I started writing this one.

But I only admit when I'm wrong when I'm actually PROVEN wrong. You haven't done that, so don't expect me to change my tune towards you until you actually do that.

Therein lies the issue.

I may be wrong at any time.
I don't wait until someone shows up to prove I am wrong.

I will, without any input from others, doubt myself. Because I am not the smartest man in the room and I don't know everything.

I ask questions, I kick hornets nests, I cause trouble.

You can't start a still heart with kind words or an ivory tower. Sometimes you need to beat it, shock it, to get it working.

I'll retire now, I've said my piece, and slip quietly back into the shadows and stare in awe at all the "high-brow" smartness and intelligence just oozing from this thread.

(dang, need a towel now)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Most of us don't claim our opinions are actual fact though.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think a pervasive problem across all spectrums is a rigidity in thinking.

"I will always be right, until proven otherwise."

There is no independent impetus to think outside such narrow parameters.

Of course, this is my humble opinion only. . . . . . I could be wrong.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

There is no independent impetus to think outside such narrow parameters.

Good news the conservative Texan have solved their weather problem they are currently suffering thru. Totally thinking outside the box with a very creative slant on a contemporary problem.

www.youtube.com...

I think we all know the solution too....

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Please.

Should I dig up the clip about the DEMOCRAT who thought the island would tip over with too many people on it?

Is he an example of such shining liberal high-brow intelligence?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have to say, good job, and judging by the responses from religious conservatives in this thread, your thread couldn't be more spot on. As for why, probably control.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

An observation before I add to the discussion.

I fear that your "strong" position against Christianity is not on a very good foundation.
You seem to have to rebuild after your challenged, much like your last religious thread, Racism in the Bible, which came shortly after being challenged In a thread about the mythical Jesus, and now this one after your political beliefs were challenged in a recent thread. Just an observation.

The right needs to grow up and join the 21st century. Wallowing in ignorance and attacking people smarter than you is just a waste of time.
"Attacking people smarter than you"
Your need to be inteligent hinges on Christian conservatives being stupid.
Your need to paint something black so you can be white is your attempt to regain your footing. It's the same tactics that talk radio uses to keep the right on the right; Paint liberals as baphoons so conservatives look better.

Nothing is accomplished in this process, accept more division and more ignorance.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The Christianity is a done religion, looking at its historical records for 2000y or for the last 300 years. God's kingdom talked of by Jesus, never ever arrived. Instead, the Christian dominated centuries brought nightmare comparable only to that of WW2.

Unless a miracle happens. I don't see it happen as result of efforts by current administrations of any church.

Whether Et will come and offer a better understanding of Jesus Christ, and who will accept it, should be a matter of profound discussion online. Instead, the question is all but officially silent. The Christians in their majority are afraid to say what they think, in the few places online where that is being discussed, including this forum. If they find strength, it is only to defend outdated positions of 15 century. I assume those guys are not paid by church hierarchy to do that, because after all when you have a ratio of 10:1 of such guys, in a secular world and forum, you start wondering where you are at - Inquisition office of 15th century or 21st century online free speech.

The consequences for the world of ignorant fanatical believers could not be any worse. All recent wars have started on religious motivation as their officially shown reason (of course far not the only one). Because the people buy that. What if the belligerents in Yugoslavia conflicts, or Syria, were armed with portable nukes? We could have had armageddonic scenario by now. And perhaps that is what some want to bring.

I believe they won't be allowed to do that. But I don't see efforts on the side of clergy (of all main churches).

Instead of promoting free discussion of faithful on main issues, including on moral, family, world politics, instead of that hierarchy have encapsulated themselves into closed door sessions where they believe they decide the things in the name of God. They cannot be farther from the truth. If God acted like that, probably He would never send Jesus Christ and would never choose those 12 fishermen and sinners to start it all some 2000y ago. The current idea of Christian institutions cannot be farther from what the words of their founder - Jesus Christ, speak of. Or perhaps he is not their founder at all, perhaps they serve someone else under disguise. They will show up themselves sooner or later. Rather sooner. I'd say, the moment we have Disclosure, we will know where each of the main religions and churches stands at.

I hope that happens before we run into the deep bunkers, anyway.
edit on 30-5-2015 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Really well said rant! I couldn't agree more.

There are a lot of conservatives (not all of them) that promote an agenda of literal lies. I subscribe to the scientific method and facts. When I hear a conservative speak, I often do research and find that what they claim to be facts are fabricated.

I find this less often with liberals, but it still happens. The difference is that the majority of the conservative party is based on false information, and they seem proud of it.
edit on 30amSat, 30 May 2015 03:59:04 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I mean how arrogant can you be to assume that you know more than a scientist does on a subject the scientist has been studying his whole career? How can you continue to embrace proven inaccuracies and lies when they are proven to be so?

Easy, if you are brought up "civilized". That training to accept and do what were told starts young. Early school classrooms, church, media, family and friends. Some people are still trapped in that linear thinking. Some will never wake up.

Thats not your problem.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Good news the conservative Texan have solved their weather problem they are currently suffering thru.

My mom just underwent her second heart operation for arrhythmia. Her chronic and persistent heart trouble (I was told) has been often prayed over by "armies of church goers".

Lulz. If that was effective at all, I would expect her heart to float to heaven, be repaired and return to her chest. This kind of belief is mostly an excuse to not have to actually help her or me with anything.

What excuse do we use to not help others directly?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I don't think your OP was as bad as I was thinking it would be, some of it I agree with, you have to realize there are very conservative liberals, far more conservative than conservatives, they vote along party lines although they are devout Christians and Muslims.

Conservatism means little these days, if you take a look back liberals and conservatives are totally different animals then they were when I was growing up.

There are many social conservatives, and I think you are lumping to many into the same category.

Wallowing in ignorance and attacking people smarter than you is just a waste of time.

Now we all can wallow in ignorance at times.

I don't trust my government and worry about people that do.
edit on 093131p://bSaturday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Early school classrooms, church, media, family and friends. Some people are still trapped in that linear thinking.

Yes, and they are not the only ones that have a monopoly on teach them while they are young now days,

Back in the day my oldest childrens schooling didn't get the indoctrination my youngest did, or I was blind to it, their ages are from 47 to 27,

Having had my two youngest just graduate college recently, I know from their experiences the politics and indoctrination pushed in the schools of higher learning, and they are not conservative in any sense of the word, they are just normal average young people.

My son actually called out a professor on the very subject, that this professor was pushing a topic that had nothing to do with the class and was wasting his time, time that could have been spent learning the subject.

He graduated valedictorian.

I went to the school of hard knocks.
edit on 093131p://bSaturday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You do know that Rev. Al claimed that God was judging Texas, so this kind of stuff isn't just a play made by those ig'nant country folks.

I remember when the left was busy circulating the meme about all the hurricanes hitting Florida back in the Bush days with the splashy question wondering if God was judging Florida for re-electing Bush.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join