It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Legalization Group Calls For Medical Marijuana Research Overhaul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Anti-Legalization Group Calls For Medical Marijuana Research Overhaul

Here's something that shows that marijuana opinions have shifted DRASTICALLY over the last so many years. The anti-legalization group SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana) is calling on the federal government to release the stranglehold on federal marijuana research. This is pretty groundbreaking stuff here. For those unfamiliar with SAM, SAM is headed up by Kevin Sabet. Mr. Sabet is a notorious anti-marijuana advocate (and I strongly suspect is on more than a few pharmaceutical companies' payrolls). For him to come out in support of changing the way marijuana research is conducted is BIG.

While calling full legalization of marijuana "dangerous," Kevin Sabet, president and CEO of SAM, also said that "there are so many things the government could do to offer the seriously ill experimental medications" and help to further marijuana research to potentially unlock its medical potential, without legalizing the plant.

SAM's plan calls for the federal government to end the federal monopoly on marijuana for research purposes by allowing for multiple facilities to grow the plant. Critics of federal policy say the lack of cannabis science in the U.S. has to do in part with the federal stranglehold on marijuana research. There's only one federally legal marijuana garden in the U.S., at the University of Mississippi. The National Institute on Drug Abuse oversees the operation, and it's the only source of marijuana for federally sanctioned studies on the drug.

The plan also seeks the elimination of a Department of Health and Human Services review process.

So even the anti-legalization crowd are starting to come around to the benefits of medical marijuana.

Currently, marijuana research that is not funded by the government must go through a Public Health Service review -- a process established in 1999 by the federal government after a 1998 Institute of Medicine report called for more scientific research into the medical value of marijuana.

It's a process that no other substance classified by the government as Schedule I is subject to and one that researchers and lawmakers alike have criticized.

Why is this even the case to begin with?

Oh well. I'm just glad that one more group has jumped on the ever growing bandwagon that medical marijuana is a good idea.

Questions about medical marijuana? Here are some links (thanks Bodicea):
How Medical Marijuana Works
5 Must-Know Facts About Cannabidiol (CBD)
CANNABIS RESEARCH: A SELECTION OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MEDICAL STUDIES

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sounds like his asking for the Government to allow the pharmaceutical companies to pill press cannabinoids and sell it as FDA approved medicine.

More likely a way to protect profits and keep people from growing there own, than an honest request for rational laws concerning the cannabis plant

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is a step in the right direction! It's so sad that so many people could benefit from this plant, but can't do so freely.

I was so devastated last night while reading stories of people that suffer from a condition I have, which I have treated with great success using cannabis. It's not even "life threatening" in the typical since. But so many talked about wanting to just die because the pain is so bad. It makes me very angry that they would have to uproot and move just to help heal their bodies. And many can't simply do that, or they would.

I hope the revolution in this area continues to quicken, change needs to come now!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I believe the pharmaceutical industry is already working on this, they tout is as the only sure way to control dosing. Its crap, but they are struggling to get a foot in and protect profits.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
marijuana legalization scares the poo
out of side effect laden big pharma.
all their technology and money can't
compete medically with a naturally occurring weed.
as usual money is the motive not health,
and they wonder why people are going holistic in droves.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well it's interesting..what angle are they working? Im sure it's for the benefit of pharma? solid research is needed though.
The schedule 1 thing is just nuts to begin with as we well know.

edit on 29-5-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Nebraska came within inches of legalizing medical marijuana. The issue was tabled until next legislative session. The interesting tidbit was the sponsor of the bill was a Conservative Republican. Instead of moving this bill ahead, they decided to eliminate the death penalty in Nebraska. Now we shall see what next year brings.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

As well it should scare the hell out of them. There's no way in hell they want me to be able to choose a medication I can grow myself over being a state sanctioned dope fiend who ends up with a physical addiction, thus making sure I never miss a script at the beginning of every month. It's guaranteed money for them and guaranteed to increase profits as people build an ever increasing tolerance to opiates requiring stronger medications in higher dosages and larger amounts. It's little different than what the British did in China during the early 19th century by bringing in massive amounts of opium and then going to war when the Chinese government decided they wanted no more of it. I would be interested to see a breakdown of which members of state and federal legislatures own stock in the various pharmaceutical corps. that produces opiate pain killers and a comparison of that list to their voting records on various marijuana related bills. Medical or otherwise.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Like I said, I'm pretty damn sure that Sabet is a shill for the pharmaceutical companies, which means I'm pretty sure he has some ulterior motive for promoting this. I'm just glad that even the prohibitionists are starting to come around to the idea of medical marijuana, even if they are for the wrong reasons.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

He's not really on board with medical marijuana per se. It seems to me that he's more into the idea of synthesizing certain components that can be marketed in pill form but yeah... any step in a direction that encourages more research is beneficial in the long run.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Enough. Enough. Enough.

We learned, almost a hundred years ago, that prohibition doesn't work, and it's lasting social effect was to establish organized crime as a powerful, dark force that is STILL causing destruction to our culture today. And, tomorrow... The War on Drugs, didn't kill any drugs, only people.

The medical research is politicized by prohibition.

Stop the prohibition.

Legalize it.

edit on 29-5-2015 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

That's the thing, he may be for more research for his own nefarious reasons, but the way research has been going things probably won't work out like he wants them to.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

If he is on payroll, then this is all because the people who pay him are ready to monetize mj and hemp research and production.

Its nice to see liberty gaining ground....but you have to keep a cynical outlook because in the end you will still be screwed.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Don't worry about that. I don't trust Sabet any further than I can punt him (no matter how satisfying it would be to do so). He certainly has a reason for this, and it's probably not a good one. I'm just trying to point out that even the prohibitionists are starting to change their arguments. There comes a point where fighting the tide gets you nowhere. I wonder if Sabet's decision to do this has anything to do with possibly losing support for his cause as awareness about marijuana grows?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i will never accept big pharma taking over nature and government saying you are nothing, you must stand under us, your employee, and be deprived of your natural rights, and we can dissect a nutrient and sell to you the cure.

I would say, YOU ARE UNDER ARREST, FOR CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY. COME ALONG QUIETLY THIS IS A CITIZENS ARREST.

And continue to do as I WILL, and own all the resources.

new topics

top topics

join