It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 New Sci-Fi TV Shows in 2015

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I'm a fan of sci fi genre but there are very few shows on the sci fy channel that I can watch. The horrible acting, scripts, special effects doesn't leave you with much. Even worst in the few cases they get all 3 right then they cancel the show because its to expensive to make.

However, I personally also don't care much for the space shows or fantasy type stuff. I enjoy more the conspiracy/quaisi science stuff.

I do miss the x file format where there was a start and end to every episode and not just a teaser to next week. Can't wait till it comes out, I hope they keep the same format and not go to the LOST format where only the last 5 minutes of the show matter.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I'm pretty excited for the SyFy miniseries of Childhood's End.

Hadn't heard of that one, looks good but it also looks like a remake of V .

Also it looks like its using expensive cgi , which is ussually a good thing except when its on the SCI-FY channel. They tend to cancel those shows despite ratings .

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Humans looks awesome and it has got Jen from the it crowd in....ah redheads

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

If they're doing Childhood's End like V, they're doing it wrong.

Have you read the original Arthur C. Clarke novel? Aside from the aliens showing up and establishing a presence, it is a much more benign thing. It is also sublimely bittersweet.

I thought they were producing a series based off 'The Expanse' series by James S.A. Corey, too. I'm working my way through Abaddon's Gate now and I haven't heard anything more since those very early hints. Of course, I also though they were talking about a Red Mars series or mini-series a long time ago, too.

edit on 29-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The network didn't change hands. They were hemorrhaging viewers and rebranded to appeal to a more broad audience. It was also for trademarking purposes.

The tweaking of the Sci Fi name, introduced in 1992, is part of a rebranding campaign that seeks to distinguish the channel and its programming from cable competitors...

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague — so generic, in fact, that it could not be trademarked. Syfy, with its unusual spelling, can be...

“We couldn’t own Sci Fi; it’s a genre,” said Bonnie Hammer, the former president of Sci Fi who became the president of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Universal Cable Productions. “But we can own Syfy.”

“If you ask people their default perceptions of Sci Fi, they list space, aliens and the future,” he added. “That didn’t capture the full landscape of fantasy entertainment: the paranormal, the supernatural, action and adventure, superheroes.”

Sci Fi Channel Has a New Name: Now, It’s Syfy - March 15, 2009

You must not have made it passed the first few seasons of The X-Files. Once it got a few years on, it started to have pretty intertwining plots and longer story arcs. The "monster of the week" format didn't make it too long, as great as it was.

Childhood's End? 1953.
The original miniseries of V? 1983.

They already did a remake of V a few years ago. It went off the rails pretty quickly, and was canceled after the second season.

SyFy is doing Childhood's End as a miniseries, so after the third night it's going to be concluded (and canceled, I guess).

a reply to: ketsuko

For years the network has said they're working on this project or that project. I'm pretty sure they just throw a bunch of titles up on the dart board, whatever they hit they say they're working on. If you look at the Wikipedia page, you'll see a bunch of things they announced, but never came to fruition.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If they're doing Childhood's End like V, they're doing it wrong.

I'm not sure if they are but that is what I got from the trailer?

Have you read the original Arthur C. Clarke novel? Aside from the aliens showing up and establishing a presence, it is a much more benign thing. It is also sublimely bittersweet.

I haven't hopefully they don't butcher the show.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I thought they were producing a series based off 'The Expanse' series by James S.A. Corey, too. I'm working my way through Abaddon's Gate now and I haven't heard anything more since those very early hints. Of course, I also though they were talking about a Red Mars series or mini-series a long time ago, too.

The Expanse series is still on the way. Gonna be released sometime this year.

The rights to Red Mars are at Spike TV now. J Michael Straczynski the creator of Babylon 5 is adapting it. LINK
edit on 29-5-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

The network didn't change hands. They were hemorrhaging viewers and rebranded to appeal to a more broad audience. It was also for trademarking purposes.

You'd better do a little better on the research:

It did change hands, a couple of times and the latest owner is:

Sci Fi Channel, with one of the simplest and most recognizable brands in TV, is going and making things complicated by changing to the ridiculous moniker "Syfy."

What's next? The Phood Network? The Travville Channel? See Enn Enn?

The July 7 name change for the NBC-owned cable outlet is described as "phonetically identical" to Sci Fi. And those are among the dumbest two words you'll see strung together in a press release.

Unsaid in that release is that this is designed to clean up the nerdy image of a cable outlet for guys with pocket protectors who spend too much time at the comic-book store.

"The new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider and more diverse range of imagination-based entertainment," according to the formal announcement, which goes on to talk about the money reason behind the silly name:

"It also positions the brand for future growth by creating an ownable trademark that can travel easily with consumers across new media and non-linear digital platforms, new international channels and extend into new business ventures."

Another great press release word: "ownable."

www.jsonline.com...

and

www.vulture.com...

And here is a nice piece on others that don't like the 'changes'.

www.cracked.com...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

That show looks like it might be pretty good. I've never read those books, so I have a lot less vested in it than some of their other adaptations. I recognized quite a few people in that trailer, so it's probably going to be helpful to have some bigger names attached.

I found this article which says it's already been renewed for a second season, despite that the first won't premiere until December.

When the network launched in 1992 it was owned by USA Networks, a division of NBC. It did change hands a few times between 1994 and 2000, but ultimately wound back under the ownership of NBC by 2004. The rebranding of the network took place in 2009, without any changing in ownership taking place.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague — so generic, in fact, that it could not be trademarked. Syfy, with its unusual spelling, can be...

No matter how much lipstick they put on that pig.

SciFI/SyFy will alway suck until they get real shows to watch.

I'd love to see a new Star Gate Series.

Hell even another reimagining of BSG.

Hell a reminagined Star Trek BSG style.

Some real entertainment.

The Prequel to the Walking Dead ?

Maybe it will be just as good.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Did you watch Dead Nation? tongue in cheek but I really enjoyed it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: neo96

Did you watch Dead Nation? tongue in cheek but I really enjoyed it.

Not yet.

Prolly will later tonite.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I should have added a 6th. Wayward Pines .

Somebody here on ATS recommended can't remember who or where , but I enjoyed all 3 episodes. Especially the ending on the 3rd. The show just started this year in May

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Wayward Pines looks good. I'm waiting for the whole thing to be out, before I watch it though.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

Wayward Pines looks good. I'm waiting for the whole thing to be out, before I watch it though.

Yeah, i totally understand and I wish I had done so. I typically do the same , but for some reason I thought this was just a mini series with 3 episodes and I binged watched all 3, before I realize there are more planned episodes.

Its a good show but they get you in the last 5 minutes of the show and I hate that type of format.

Netflix looks like is changing the game a bit. They actually have a couple of original netflix series that they release the complete season all at once, instead of the dreaded once a week format. They did this with bloodline, another decent show ,but I might be partially biased cause I love the FL keys and its filmed in 4K and it beats looking at the 4k forest and oceans demo for the hundredth time ;-)

I think with netflix and amazon prime making there own content and changing how the seasons are released might be a huge threat to current tv programming Oligopoly. At least I hope ;-)

edit on 56630America/ChicagoTue, 02 Jun 2015 16:56:31 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

They are still on my do not watch list after they cancelled Caprica (It was a BSG prequel) they didn't even give it a real ending the last episode showed previews for the next season that never happened

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: BlueJacket

Walking dead was a big disapointment for me . They basically used a drama template with signs that says insert sci fi here on a few places.

They really need to create a new genre for these walking dead type shows. They are about 99% drama and 1% sci fi. Maybe Drama-Fi ?

I like it!

Or maybe Dri-Fi?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Or maybe Dri-Fi?

Even better.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I think with netflix and amazon prime making there own content and changing how the seasons are released might be a huge threat to current tv programming Oligopoly. At least I hope ;-)

Mostly everything that Netflix does, that is original, comes out the whole season at once. And it is already changing the way things are done. NBC just released the whole first season of Aquarius online, while also releasing each episode once a week on TV. Because they are worried about the future and trying to experiment with the Netflix format so they won't fall behind.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Because they are worried about the future and trying to experiment with the Netflix format so they won't fall behind.

Competition is a lovely thing and a rarity that happens by pure luck and at the Oligopoly level. Traditional content providers were to fat and dumb raping us and their distributors to realize how online content providers would wake up and create their own content.

If we only had true competition across the board with telecommunication and healthcare.

/rant

The only problem with releasing the complete series at once, is for us binge watchers that finish the season in a week. Then we have to wait 6 or 8 months for the next season. Maybe they will even condense the season breaks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join