It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dawn sends new closer pics of Ceres

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Oh cmon Armap, i mean, lets be honest. In the pre-digital era they "lost" photos all the time and it was only because of rather dedicated researchers and blind luck that some stuff managed to get recovered. This continues to happen to this day with the Curiosity and Spirit uploads. One of the biggest examples of this i can think of is the "thumbnail" problem. I, and i am certain others, have come across thumbnail pictures in the Mars rover uploads that never get shown in full view. And some of the pictures im thinking of had some very curious anomalies like "Skulls on an Altar".

It's not unreasonable to assume something similar is taking place here.

As for your question about the "straight lines"

Yes they are straight, then they make sharp 90 turns. Sorta like this [ * ].

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

I don't see why all photos and data should not be up for public view online.

They are up for public viewing, at the PDS archive and various other archives or sites. The point I was making is that scientists involved with the mission deserve exclusive first-hand access to the data so that they could get the results that they've been working very hard to get. The data does get released publically a little while after that.

And as ArMaP said, the public wouldn't understand the majority of data anyway, what they really want is an article with some fancy pictures and accessible explanation... which is what we get after the scientists had looked at the data, analysed it, and made their guesses or conclusions.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You know ArMap I respect your opinions and information (a ton) but if we waited for proof before having anything to say on a subject very little of ATS would be here.

Thanks.

I suppose that's the reason why I speak (and post) so little, I only talk when I'm sure about something, I think that speculating just because we can is a waste of time.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
This continues to happen to this day with the Curiosity and Spirit uploads. One of the biggest examples of this i can think of is the "thumbnail" problem. I, and i am certain others, have come across thumbnail pictures in the Mars rover uploads that never get shown in full view.

If they had something to hide in the full size photos why would they publish the thumbnails?

And some of the pictures im thinking of had some very curious anomalies like "Skulls on an Altar".

Most of the "anomalies" are only in the eye of the beholder.

It's not unreasonable to assume something similar is taking place here.

I think it is because you are making an assumption (that something similar is taking place here) based on another assumption (that photos are not publish on purpose).

As for your question about the "straight lines"

Yes they are straight, then they make sharp 90 turns. Sorta like this [ * ].

It would be easier if you could post an image with the lines highlighted.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

You know ArMap I respect your opinions and information (a ton) but if we waited for proof before having anything to say on a subject very little of ATS would be here.

Thanks.

I suppose that's the reason why I speak (and post) so little, I only talk when I'm sure about something, I think that speculating just because we can is a waste of time.

Whereas I feel that this type of speculation is a plus in learning and conceiving anything new and is fun!

Allied Research Associates in Boston. The company was an MIT spinoff that originally focused on the effects of nuclear weapons on aircraft structures. The company received a contract with the acronym GLIPAR (Guide Line Identification Program for Antimissile Research) from the Advanced Research Projects Agency to elicit the most creative approaches possible for a ballistic missile defense system. The government recognized that no matter how much was spent on improving and expanding current technology, it would remain inadequate. They wanted us and a few other contractors to think “out of the box.”

A person willing to fly in the face of reason, authority, and common sense must be a person of considerable self-assurance. Since he occurs only rarely, he must seem eccentric (in at least that respect) to the rest of us. A person eccentric in one respect is often eccentric in others.

Consequently, the person who is most likely to get new ideas is a person of good background in the field of interest and one who is unconventional in his habits. (To be a crackpot is not, however, enough in itself.)
www.technologyreview.com...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

Thanks.

That looks more like a result of resizing the image, I will have a look at the original.

Edit: I see nothing in the following image, taken from this NASA image.

edit on 31/5/2015 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

NEW!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Today i think ill find a dinosaur.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Boo. Now it resembles a plain old volcano. Not nearly as exciting as an alien city.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
We now can watch a virtual flyover Ceres, thanks to Dawn's first mapping orbit: www.youtube.com...

Just to emphasise what is says in the video, the vertical elevation has been exagerrated by x2, so Ceres isn't really that knobbly.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
People here kinda forgot about Dawn's mission to Ceres, so have some latest eye-candy!

i.imgur.com... (enlaged and processed from photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov... )

i.imgur.com... (enlaged and processed from photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov... )

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I thought this was pretty cool.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
When are the next batch of pics available, does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: drwire
is my idea or many craters have linear arrangement. This is especially noticeable in the smaller ones.

it's because they were caused by electrical arcing not impacts

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
When are the next batch of pics available, does anyone know?

New images are being published all the time: photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

The most recent one:

edit on 19-11-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was in grade school when Glenn made his first flight.
So over the years I have seen all the pics (so to speak) from all the missions.
Do these really look any different from all the other rocky worlds with no atmosphere?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
i was just gonna mention the straight lines, so weird. i wonder what has caused them. the spots could be mineral deposits or glass no? considering they're in a crater it would make sense that its either uncovered minerals or the result of a high temp explosion from an asteroid. interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent

Not really, still totally cool.

My earliest memories of the space program are Apollo. I've watched with bated breath every time a new "world" is exposed to our view.

It's just another step into the Universe.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
I was in grade school when Glenn made his first flight.
So over the years I have seen all the pics (so to speak) from all the missions.
Do these really look any different from all the other rocky worlds with no atmosphere?

There are many similarities (such as heavily cratered, mostly gray surfaces), but there are many diffirences also, such as chemical composition, geological formations, etc. The Moon, for example, has the dark maria and lighter highlands, and some subtle colour variations too. Some rocky bodies might have collapsed lava channels, ridges caused by gradual cooling and contraction of the crust, areas covered in hydrocarbon substances or salts.

Take Ceres' famous bright spots, for example; we've never seen anything like that before on a rocky body.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join