It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help!! i just got myself involved in a scam and i dont know what to do : (

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i have a profile on care.com, a website for people looking for jobs babysitting and housekeeping, and I got a weird text from a person who called themselves mrs. mary and she texted that she is hard of hearing and needs a housekeeper and errand person, she got my address and zipcode and email address, and is going to send me a check with lots of money on it, and told me to keep 300 dollars for myself, just for picking out some furniture, they said they wanted me to cash the check when it comes in so I googled care.com scam and discovered that this has been happening to a lot of people!! what am I supposed to do now? the check is most certainly going to be fake and they are trying to get money from me

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
dont send any money?

+13 more 
posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

Don't cash the check and report it to your local police..

Simple

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
ok thanks

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I got a check like that once. I took it to the bank and explained to them the situation. They told me that the check would probably bounce, and I would be responsible for any fees and the faux deposit would be deducted from my bank account. I thought that THEY would notify the authorities, but they said that they didn't do that, and advised me to notify the police.
edit on 28-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

and told me to keep 300 dollars for myself, just for picking out some furniture, they said they wanted me to cash the check when it comes in so

They will use that to get your banking details and wipe you out. DON'T CASH THAT CHECK.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Don't cash the check and report it to your local police..

Simple

100% the correct answer. The scam relies on you depositing the check and immediately after you do, the person might tell you that they don't actually require your services and ask you to send their money back. Their check is of course fraudulent and even if funds become available, it will eventually bounce and you'll be responsible for repaying any funds (including the funds they'll ask you to send back). In recent years check scammers have really started to target people looking for at home employment.
edit on 2015-5-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
explain it to the cop's (just dont take your dog)
edit on 28-5-2015 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You say that you know this is a scam , so just what is your problem ? . i say bin the check and forget about it .

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
the check is supposed to be coming in next week, but its a good thing the police station is in walking distance,

thanks everybody. I was really rattled once I realized that it was a scam

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You have gotten some good advice here.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago...I went to my bank and they told me about the scam and I also contacted the local FBI. Don't cash the check and take the evidence to the authorities.

Many future blessings to you.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
thanks

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I got a check like that once. I took it to the bank and explained to them the situation. They told me that the check would probably bounce, and I would be responsible for any fees and the faux deposit would be deducted from my bank account. I thought that THEY would notify the authorities, but they said that they didn't do that, and advised me to notify the police.

Important info there.
The bank will not follow up. It is up to the person affected to notify the police.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It's a pretty good rule of thumb that if anybody (particularly people that you do not know) makes an offer such as this, it should be treated as a scam.
This is very similar to the "I'm a Prince from Nigeria" emails that used to go around.
edit on 5/28/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
awesome

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Do not under any circumstances put that check in your bank! That is how they get your bank account info and then they can access it.I had a 'similar' scam happen to me,and I contacted the company that was supposed to have sent me the check. They told me not to do anything with the check at all. That the bank stamps your account number on it and then when it comes back to the scammers,they have your account.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

That's an old scam. I would literally call the local police or better yet the FBI. No joke. I had a friend who was looking for a job and was approached with the can you cash this check for me then give me the money scam. She called the FBI. theres a office right down the street. The FBI was helpful and took down all of the info. If you cash that bad check, it will get caught up in fraud a few days later and you will be liable to pay the bank back. Ie...it's a scam to take YOUR money. Don't do it. Screw that person and call the feds on them.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Someone tried to get me that way too
was selling my old airsoft rifle, they said they'd pay twice what its worth. Hearing that red flags went up. When I got the check, I contacted the bank it was 'drawn' off of, and as I suspected, it was fraudulent. I notified the police, they took a report and said to destroy the check if I wanted to, as they dont take that stuff.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i would just toss the check and forget about it.
sure, you can call the cops and let them know about it but i dont see much happening with it.

probably wont be on the cops priority list what with all the domestic violence and drunk drivers.

either way, just dont cash it.

if you feel froggy you can go to one of them crappy gas stations that cash checks and see if you can get a few billies from it.
i wouldnt though because the check is of course bs and even if you cash it at a gas station they are going to have your info, not theirs.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
It's a pretty good rule of thumb that if anybody (particularly people that you do not know) makes an offer such as this, it should be treated as a scam.
This is very similar to the "I'm a Prince from Nigeria" emails that used to go around.

Those are the best entertainment available at many desk jobs! "Greetings and salutations of the highest order, Dear Sir. I am Admiral-Senator-Reverand Jacque Costeau XI, your humble servant. You may not be aware, but at birth, because you were an illegitimate bastard, the wrongfully deposed Emperor of the One True Nigeria set you on a raft down the Niger River, where you were eventually found by your adoptive parents (who were instructed to tell you this is a lie and a scam, should this day ever come, to protect against our enemies, who are in reality, Satan's henchdemons.) But I digress... In most urgent and expedient fashion, you are to contact me to make arrangements for the transfer of all money and assets under your current identity, to facilitate restoral of your rightful name, and your birthright inheritance, valued at over $732 billion US dollars. It is best you begin by sending your full name, SSN, address, mother's maiden name, and all bank account access codes, so we can ensure Satan's Henchdemons do not thwart this plan by emptying your accounts.

We can also provide you with çîalïs, víâgårà, and various other prescription drugs, and/or copies of DVDs, at reasonable cost, while you prepare to take your place as ruler of Africa! Lastly, forward this email to 10 friends, and you will get a gift card to Applebee's, $76,452.80 from Bill Gates, and something really cool will happen on your screen!

To verify the authenticity of this message, visit the consulate page at www.Trojanhorsebrowserhijack.com/virus.zip

top topics

<<   2 >>

join