It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

India heatwave kills 800 as capital's roads melt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:48 PM

originally posted by: IngyBall
What people don't seem to get, or just don't know, is that the way weather patterns work is that where its hot in dry in one place, it's cool and wet in another. I has to do with ridging and troughs. A prime example is in the CONUS right now. You have ridging in the East, which is leading to the hot summer like temperatures there. Then you have a trough in the central U.S, which is causing the cool wet weather. Then it's ridging again once you get to the west coast. Here in the DFW metroplex we are about to go all of May with out reaching 90 degrees, which would be the first time in recorded history. A lot of this has to do with the El Nino, which has just gone moderate. El Ninos will cause drought and intense beat to areas like East Asia and Australia. Texas will probably take a break from the constant rain during the summer, I say probably because there have been El Nino years like 2004 and 2007 where there have been major flooding in June and July. When Fall arrives you will likely hear of flooding returning to Texas, but this time California will likely be included in that flooding.

When a system moves out of homeostatis, it reacts to bring the system back to it's set point just like a thermostat keeps our homes within a set range of themperature.

As the prumutaions become greater, the systems responses to regain that homeostatic point become more and more extreme as we clearly see.

We have broken the planetary climate thermostat. A heat wave in one local requires an even greater counter extreme.

The set point moves towards the dominate extreme and it's movement excelerates. And honestly there is no way we can know the eventual outcome. It may be too late to remove enough 'warming' elements to reverse the trend even if the will was there to do it.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 11:01 PM

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: borntowatch

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: lostbook

And the climate change deniers will defend their stance right up to the last singed hair on their head

Climate change deniers or man made climate change deniers.

I think you bandy your statements a little liberally, is it caused by man or is change just inevitable.

I am not making a statement just saying.

Does anybody deny the climate is changing?

Imagine there is a water tower without a top that supplies all of your street's drinking water. Frequent windstorms bring in debris and birds crap in it. On top of that, there is a group of local businessmen who piss in it because they believe it brings them financial luck.

Soon, it's determined that the water is too polluted to drink and something needs to be done about it before they all die of thirst. They ask the business men to stop pissing in the water tower but they refuse, saying that there's no way to prove that it's their piss that causing the pollution since storms also bring in contaminants. So they keep pissing in the water...

That is how that logic sounds to me when the last bastion of defense for deniers is "Well you can't prove that our pollution is causing all this pollution!" It's so aggravating that we accept that as a reasonable retort.

I don't know if that was the best comparison for what you are trying to convey. In my state of Oregon we somewhat recently drained one of our reservoirs because someone was caught on camera peeing in it. For some reason urine bothers people but the dead birds, animal feces, and other disgusting things in that exact same reservoir don't seem to matter.

If your water sources is contaminated with dead things and animal waste then honestly I don't think businessmen peeing in it is going to matter much.

So probably not the best comparison, unless your goal was to say how human's contribution to global warming isn't really going to matter much

I think it falls apart even more when you consider that in order to "fight climate change" we must not only surrender even more control to authoritarian groups, but make drastic changes to our economy and our way of life. Asking people to stop peeing in the water supply doesn't hurt anyone, we don't release carbon into the atmosphere for fun, we do it because we need the energy and the products that come from the practices that produce carbon.

For years I've also found it incredibly convenient that the whole climate change issue has almost completely taken over the whole environmentalism movement. People now ignore poison and toxins that are hurting us RIGHT NOW to spend their concern on something that MIGHT happen in the future. Now people who are concerned about environmental toxins are called crackpots and lumped into the same group as climate-change deniers.

No room to worry about companies pouring stuff in our waterways and contaminating our soils when we have climate change to argue about! Something that isn't tangible enough for EITHER side of the argument to actually make concrete factual statements, such as can be made about people drinking contaminated water and living on contaminated land, and eating contaminated food.

I think we've been played. Part of science is being able to make testable predictions. The AGW promoters have failed time and time again to provide any accurate predictions, beside broad statements or using single instances of whether to prove a point. They were wrong with their specific predictions of temperature. They were wrong with their specific predictions of ice melt. They were wrong about how much heat is radiated into space. They are wrong over and over again and yet people still make fun of you for being skeptical of what they preach.
edit on 28-5-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:23 AM

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Who has denied climate change? It's happened ever since the Earth was formed, that would be a ridiculous thing to do.

If you meant 'Man Made' climate change, then that's a different story and no 'proof' can be put forward for this. Sure they can present models and try to predict it's so called catostrophic effects, but there is still no 'proof'.

Many hundreds died in Greece a fair few years ago when they experienced a real intense 'Heatwave', but it hasn't occurred with such ferocity since.

Edit- The Guardian are claiming 1000+ heat related deaths and the Huff Post were claiming 1100 heat related deaths yesterday. Kind of puts Ebola in the shade, so to speak.

No proof? What about the acidification of our oceans? The over saturation of man made carbon dioxide being absorbed is astonishing. Coral reefs are dying at an alarming rate. Scientist say they could be gone in just 20 yrs, which would induce a mass extinction of marine life with dire results to our eco system. If we're having this kind of effect on the ocean, I doubt our atmospheric climate would be exempt from the negative effects of our pollutants.

new topics
<< 1  2   >>