It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India heatwave kills 800 as capital's roads melt

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

At least 800 people have died in a major heatwave that has swept across India, melting roads in New Delhi as temperatures neared 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit).

India's Meteorological Department said it had issued heat warnings to several states where temperatures were forecast to top 45 degrees Celsius over the next few days.

"As of now, we don't predict any respite from the extreme heatwave for the next few days," said spokesman B. P. Yadav.

Hundreds of people -- mainly from the poorest sections of society -- die at the height of summer every year across the country, while tens of thousands suffer power cuts from an overburdened electricity grid.

Wow....India is suffering a major heat wave meanwhile over in Texas, they are sufferiing historic flooding. California has drought and scientists are saying that the Antarctic shelf should completely disappear in a few years.......Is there anything I missed? These major environmental events seems to come in waves but that's just my opinion.. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

And the climate change deniers will defend their stance right up to the last singed hair on their head

+1 more 
posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
For those of you who want to know what a melting road looks like:

That would be unnerving.

~Tenth

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

That would be unnerving.

~Tenth

Like a bad trip man....like a bad trip....

But yeah....that would seriously mess with me. I feel sorry for those there dealing with temps that high.

+3 more 
posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

And the climate change deniers will defend their stance right up to the last singed hair on their head

Climate change deniers or man made climate change deniers.

I think you bandy your statements a little liberally, is it caused by man or is change just inevitable.

I am not making a statement just saying.

Does anybody deny the climate is changing?

+8 more 
posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Remember about three years ago when Texas was sunk in drought and Texas Tech and Texas A&M were calling it Perma Drought and blaming Climate Change?

Also, that collapsing Antarctic ice shelf ... you do realize there are quite a few active volcanoes right underneath it. Considering that it's the only part of the Antarctic ice that shows any signs of collapsing. You don't think the boiling hot magma from underground might have something to do with it?

My point with this? Only that Climate Changes. It's what it does. If it didn't change, we wouldn't have the seasons, nor would we have evolution as the pressure to adapt to changing climates is one of the primary drivers.

But yes, let's try to control earth like it has a thermostat, and the best way to do this is to surrender all my liberty (and money) to the fat oligarchs of the world. You know, the ones who fly their own personal private jets every while they tell us we must live in mud huts to save the planet.
edit on 28-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sorry mate. If all the cold weather records we have smashed the last two years in the USA are not an argument against global warming then a heatwave in India cannot be proof of global warming. Can't go both ways.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

and scientists are saying that the Antarctic shelf should completely disappear in a few years.......Is there anything I missed? These major environmental events seems to come in waves but that's just my opinion.. What says ATS?l

I guess we'll finally get to see what is under the ice!!!

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Who has denied climate change? It's happened ever since the Earth was formed, that would be a ridiculous thing to do.

If you meant 'Man Made' climate change, then that's a different story and no 'proof' can be put forward for this. Sure they can present models and try to predict it's so called catostrophic effects, but there is still no 'proof'.

Many hundreds died in Greece a fair few years ago when they experienced a real intense 'Heatwave', but it hasn't occurred with such ferocity since.

Edit- The Guardian are claiming 1000+ heat related deaths and the Huff Post were claiming 1100 heat related deaths yesterday. Kind of puts Ebola in the shade, so to speak.

edit on 28/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Death toll is already at above 1300. I expect it to reach 2000 before the rain saves them from the heat. Rain is expected to come by the end of the week. The Indian government does not care about the poor people dying or else they would hand out free water. Shame on them for seeing poor people as lesser people

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'll just respond to my responses here.

If you meant 'Man Made' climate change, then that's a different story and no 'proof' can be put forward for this. Sure they can present models and try to predict it's so called catostrophic effects, but there is still no 'proof'.

If it takes 10,000 years to move a degree in the past, then isn't it telling since the beginning of the industrial age it's already moved a degree? Proof is in the pudding

It's what it does. If it didn't change, we wouldn't have the seasons

This is a ridiculous answer. Not picking a fight but it really is. Seasons are climate change?? Seasons are not climate change because spring is spring, summer is summer , fall is fall and winter is winter. It's been the same for 4 billion years. If you really are justifying REAL climate change as just a change of season, I don't know what to say.

Sorry mate. If all the cold weather records we have smashed the last two years in the USA are not an argument against global warming then a heatwave in India cannot be proof of global warming. Can't go both ways.

Another stupid answer. Climate change effects everything. Doesn't mean only things will heat up, if literally F###'s with the balance of the symbiotic relationship we have.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
and still people are mistaking weather for climate!
the climate has always varied over DECADES.

the Texas floods and the drought before it are weather events and transitory when a condition
changes the AVERAGE weather for a location then you can start thinking of a change in climate
and even then only locally

for the record i and not a denier but i am not a AGW supporter either the planet will do what it wants
and there is very little we can do about it.
one or two moderate volcanic events (of which there are several ongoing world wide) do more to alter
the chemical and particulate balance of the atmosphere than we ever could on a GLOBAL scale.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1
Death toll is already at above 1300. I expect it to reach 2000 before the rain saves them from the heat. Rain is expected to come by the end of the week. The Indian government does not care about the poor people dying or else they would hand out free water. Shame on them for seeing poor people as lesser people

Isn't that the truth.

Intense heat kills, so does intense cold. Whenever you have either event, the poor suffer the most as do the very elderly and the very young.

Of course, there are so many people in India that the Indian government may be at a loss as to how to even begin to help. They are still a developing country in a lot of ways. I'm not sure where exactly the heat wave is, but if there is no reliable infrastructure to work with, it would be hard to make clean water available. Harder than you think.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Also, that collapsing Antarctic ice shelf ... you do realize there are quite a few active volcanoes right underneath it. Considering that it's the only part of the Antarctic ice that shows any signs of collapsing. You don't think the boiling hot magma from underground might have something to do with it?

Yeah so I did a quick search on that and what you neglected to mention is, it never went off. Yet you're drawing conclusions that the volcanoes are responsible.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The death Toll Reaches 1400- Mostly from Andhra State which is some 20 miles away from Chennai

Climate Change

1. Less number or Zero Trees nearby that area.

2. the smoke from Transports almost high which is unique all over India, since no one cares about the smoke, which is a major threat to future mankind in India

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'll just respond to my responses here.

If it takes 10,000 years to move a degree in the past, then isn't it telling since the beginning of the industrial age it's already moved a degree? Proof is in the pudding

It's what it does. If it didn't change, we wouldn't have the seasons

This is a ridiculous answer. Not picking a fight but it really is. Seasons are climate change?? Seasons are not climate change because spring is spring, summer is summer , fall is fall and winter is winter. It's been the same for 4 billion years. If you really are justifying REAL climate change as just a change of season, I don't know what to say.

Another stupid answer. Climate change effects everything. Doesn't mean only things will heat up, if literally F###'s with the balance of the symbiotic relationship we have.

Sorry, but it does not take 10,000 years to alter the global mean by a degree. It only takes a large event to do it.

See Mt. Tambora. It moved the climate of the globe for years, and did so suddenly, and caused plunging temperatures among other things.

Everyone more or less agrees that a single volcanic eruption of large enough magnitude can do it or enough eruptions of small enough magnitude.

Are volcanoes now unnatural?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yeah so I did a quick search on that and what you neglected to mention is, it never went off. Yet you're drawing conclusions that the volcanoes are responsible.

So volcanoes that haven't erupted don't emit heat and gas?

That would be news to nearly everyone in the world.
edit on 28-5-2015 by ketsuko because: added linkie

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I'm not saying that. But if you are correct, then this would have happened long ago. Why now?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Sorry, but it does not take 10,000 years to alter the global mean by a degree. It only takes a large event to do it.

See Mt. Tambora. It moved the climate of the globe for years, and did so suddenly, and caused plunging temperatures among other things.

Everyone more or less agrees that a single volcanic eruption of large enough magnitude can do it or enough eruptions of small enough magnitude.

Volcanoes have been happening since the conception of earth yet we've managed to have a balanced cycle since recorded history. If volcanoes cause such a disruption in weather patterns, we wouldn't be here.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

That would be unnerving.

~Tenth

I saw sights like this many times when I was young and that was a long time ago. You could not walk barefoot on the road and a car virtually had tar all over it if you drove it down the road for long. Nothing new. But with the advent of different mixtures over the years in my state , the problem was stopped

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join