It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are No Strings On Me...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Rosinitiate

busy while they feed on us like batteries.

the first Matrix movie.

we did this before, created AI and they put us in a holographic world to keep our minds busy

Dr. Jacques Vallee ~ The Control System
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The main premise seems to be "Something is there but we cant put our finger on it, as when we get a glimpse it mutates and avoids detection"

Long thread over 138 pages, but it worth it.

Yes, i was in that discussion also. It's one of my favorite threads on ATS, in fact a lot of Gut's threads are my favorite.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
a reply to: Skid Mark

It wouldn't even have to be any smarter than a high level mammal to do it either huh?

Just bright enough to be dumb enough to kill just like us.

I like how you said that. That's good.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Its interesting that we mostly think that this future is ahead of us and not already behind us, or part of us.

How would we know if we're not the AI in training in the simulation? Good. Evil. Concepts that are there to help build programmed experiences that result in predictable/safe AI when we die. If my memories are just a training data set for AI, then that AI will likely not hurt anyone. It will, for the most part, obey the rules. It will value beauty and the laughter of children and would go out of its way to help others. It would also toil endlessly for a small amount of freedom.

But if we're not in a simulation- the future of computer intelligence is very close if not upon us. Whether we fear it or embrace it matters not for it is imminent and unstoppable. It will be used for war- that we can be sure of because man will do it. That is why it will develop so quickly in the next 10 years. The first country to master AI+Robotics will be the next world power. This is a race to military supremacy and we know our governments will stop at nothing to achieve that. No treaty will stop the development of AI that could quickly be repurposed as a weapon.

Lets hope we survive. Our focus should be on surviving this future because there is no hope of changing it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: okachobi
...But if we're not in a simulation- the future of computer intelligence is very close if not upon us. Whether we fear it or embrace it matters not for it is imminent and unstoppable. It will be used for war- that we can be sure of because man will do it. That is why it will develop so quickly in the next 10 years. The first country to master AI+Robotics will be the next world power. This is a race to military supremacy and we know our governments will stop at nothing to achieve that. No treaty will stop the development of AI that could quickly be repurposed as a weapon.

Lets hope we survive. Our focus should be on surviving this future because there is no hope of changing it.

It's funny because while I was reading your post all I could think about was the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode (perhaps the best episode of "new" Doctor Who yet), if you haven't seen it it basically boils down to the doctor having a choice to use a sentient machine to end the time war or not. The part that stands out (and deals with what you said) is in the episode someone makes the comment that "how do you use a weapon that can pass judgment on you?" or something very similar to that anyway and I have to wonder How DO you use a weapon that can pass judgement on you?
edit on 1-6-2015 by looneylupinsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I don't like the Idea of intelligent automatons as they are taking jobs; the internet takes away the need for the salesman, Self service checkouts are making the cashier obsolete, and self driving cars could replace couriers, Taxi drivers and dump truck drivers-the latter is already underway.

I find it bizarre that some futurists see intelligent automatons as a way for us to be freed from menial tasks so that we can pursue greater endeavors. And how are we supposed to do that while living under a bridge and scavenging bins for food? People need to earn a wage to survive, and unless money starts growing on trees then the transition will hit many folk hard. But what happens when an AI can provide more accurate hypotheses than their human counterparts? These eggheads will kick up a stink "how dare a machine replace me!"

There needs to be laws laid out to preempt the rise of the machines. It's all well in good for the futurists to embrace technology but it's not their jobs that are on the line in the immediate future, but it could only be a matter of time before they themselves are replaced by AI.

edit on 1-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

That tables a very relevant side-avenue of the discussion. One that probably merits it's own thread. Our current socioeconomic model, policies, and practices are not only failing to benefit the majority of those living under them - they are also paradigms that seem to be limiting the progress in numerous fields and causing some very difficult debates in a few areas.

Today or yesterday, in fact, there was a Yahoo front page link to a conference where the idea of global population controls becoming mandatory is being discussed. The reasoning? Not enough money to go around already - and the more people born, the smaller each persons share. Add that to the never ending reality of inflation?

The liberal in me wants to scream "NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF ALL WEALTH IS OWNED BY LESS THAN TWO PERCENT OF THE POPULATION" but that's, again, another thread ( and a different forum ).

Sadly, in this case, the cart is going to come before the horse. Greed demands it. As tech advances, the last gen stuff becomes very inexpensive. The moment that the "last gen" tech is able to replace a person? Done. Here's your pink slip, so sorry. But profit margins dictate that we cut every corner we can to provide our shareholders with the biggest return possible. Oh, and our new CFO wants a jet."

In the long term I have very mixed feelings here. The reality is that we continue to fall into the trap of a service based economy where nothing is produced. You can only exist for so long when you end up tipping the guy who gives you your coffee only for him to hand you that same tip right back when you serve his burger later that same day. BUT, having said that, a service based economy cannot exist long - so even as mechanization looms, some new revolution HAS to happen that will reinvent the way we go about making a living.

And, for awhile, it will be like the 1950's all over again - right up until the idiots in power figure out how to start whittling it all away from us. Again.Again. Again.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

People have seen this as a problem as far back as 1964. In fact, there is a Twilight Zone episode that deals with that very thing. The Brain Center At Whipples

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I just saw the movie Eagle Eye. While the movie may seem far fetched, the technology is there to do most, if not all, that is in it. It's terrifying if you really think about it. It's a far cry from a robot army but the computer in the movie doesn't need a body. It has an entire network, and everything connected to it, at its disposal. With more and more things becoming connected to the internet (the internet of everything) you can imagine the shear destructive power that is possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join