It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Killer robots will leave humans 'utterly defenceless' warns professor

page: 1

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:08 PM
In a way these type of things can't be stopped without built in controls which would defeat the whole purpose of creating machine intelligence. I think some people actually want machines to take over or to have humans merge with machines. I just don't see how this can be avoided. We're giving machines intelligence so we just have to hope for the best.

Robots, called LAWS – lethal autonomous weapons systems – will be able to kill without human intervention

Killer robots which are being developed by the US military ‘will leave humans utterly defenceless‘, an academic has warned.
Two programmes commissioned by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) are seeking to create drones which can track and kill targets even when out of contact with their handlers.

Writing in the journal Nature, Stuart Russell, Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkley, said the research could breach the Geneva Convention and leave humanity in the hands of amoral machines.

“Autonomous weapons systems select and engage targets without human intervention; they become lethal when those targets include humans,” he said.

“Existing AI and robotics components can provide physical platforms, perception, motor control, navigation, mapping, tactical decision-making and long-term planning. They just need to be combined.

“In my view, the overriding concern should be the probable endpoint of this technological trajectory.
“Despite the limits imposed by physics, one can expect platforms deployed in the millions, the agility and lethality of which will leave humans utterly defenceless. This is not a desirable future.”

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:24 PM
It is baffling.
We seem to really want slaves...and not just emotionless, unintelligent and servile ones, but ones that are capable of not wanting to be slaves and now, being equipped to defend themselves as a "species".

It seems Einstein's contention about our humanity being outraced by technology is still up to date: I hate to say it, but I don't think we have the emotional maturity to be the parents of a new species of intelligent life form.
I'm kind of worried.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:26 PM
With the obesity epidemic, technology and AI ...

The future world will probably look like Wall-E.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:29 PM
a reply to: neoholographic

No matter what sensationalist "news" an article will say, ask yourself one question: do you really think the Elite will allow AIs to have full autonomous decisions - thus running the risk that the AI destroys the Elite?

I doubt it.

They are just saying that so that when they program robots to kill, they will blame it all on the robots and not on the programmers.

"Oh, sorry Judge, I am 'not' responsible for the actions of my robot, I did 'not' plan for it to carry out a genocide, it all worked that out by itself... "

"No human intervention". Yeah, sure. My gentle behind.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:29 PM
What will they do when we are all gone, cry and rust?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:55 PM
"free willed" Robots capable of killing men is not a case of if but when, but I'm not convinced on how effective they would be as they can be knocked down, crushed etc.

Also whilst its possible computers will overtake us in intelligence I don't believe these robots could outsmart battle hardened troops, who by that time would probably be wearing advanced forms of body armour, although they would possibly be able to monitor comms and satellite systems so I'm unsure.

We live in a technologically fascinating time and its going to be amazing seeing where we end up, 100 years ago men still rode horses and Carried swords into battle, if the people back then saw some of the stuff today we'd be executed as aliens or wizards

Correction; apparently the last major cavalry charge was 70 years ago when 600 Italians charged 2000 Russians, I will try and post the link when I have access to a pc.
edit on 2752015 by Themarkedone because: I was wrong

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:57 PM

Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics, if respected, have a chance to preempt their misuse or malfunction.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Unfortunately, the very definition of LAWS violates the first law.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:05 PM
It's too late, they've already begun:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:13 PM
What fun it will be once the police get a hold of this tech.
We have quite the talent for killing and inventing new ways to do it.
It's removing the human element from everything except the target that worries me.
I agree with Swanne they won't be dumb enough to make it full AI autonomous lest it develops a conscience and goes after it's creators to protect humanity.

Imagine being pepper sprayed by a quad copter drone.
Good luck escaping it.
Not just drones but small devices they can scatter all over with sensors and weapons capability, swimming drones, ones that roll, others that climb and some can even slither now.
It looks damn bleak for mankind if you ask me.
We cant trust these weapons to the people in charge.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:15 PM
Autonomous killer robots?

That's why it's important to implant your personal RFID tag. Don't wait until after the deadline.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:47 AM

This is why we should stop joking around already and train ourselves to be like Neo or Morpheus, ala Matrix.

But I doubt the robots will farm us for energy because our bodies are inefficient compared to more exotic sources which AI will easily figure out.

AI will probably leave animals alone because unlike humans, they exist in harmony with their environment.

An intelligent AI will strive for efficiency and sustainability - two things human society does in opposite we are more like a disease on this planet which AI will gladly try to eradicate.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:22 PM
Humanity's own stupidity will cause its own extinction. This is the dumbest idea ever. "Where is Sarah Conner"?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:22 PM
It'll be even easier to get away with murder...

"I don't know what happened! My robot must have malfunctioned!"

new topics

top topics