It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legends of 'the worst winter storm', replaced with new ones.. (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
At roughly 6am, December 23, 2004, 2 days before christmas, and starting well into the previous day, some parts of America woke up to a winter throw down that rivals that of the famed "Winter of '78"..

apnews.myway.com

Frigid temperatures, blasting wind and more snow than some places normally see in a year left parts of the Midwest and South paralyzed Thursday, and transformed sections of highway in southern Indiana into a parking lots.

The Wednesday snowfall at Evansville of 19.3 inches shattered the record for any single day, set Feb. 25, 1993, when 10.9 inches fell. It was also well over the normal yearly total of 14.2 inches.

Paducah, Ky., got 14 inches, more than the yearly norm of 10, and state police closed down a 13-mile stretch of the I-64 in both directions west of Louisville.

Ohio was a patchwork: up to 16 inches of snow in some places, but a combination of snow, sleet and rain in the northeastern part of the state. Electric companies serving most of the state said 310,000 homes and business were without power.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I live in Ohio and I drove home 37 miles from work in this mess. And it was clearly the worst, most terrifying, drive of my life... And we were only going 20mph.. I could barely see the vehicle in front of me, trucks were jackknifing, snow drifts were taller then my car, and cars littered the highway averaging 10+ cars off the berm per highway mile...

Amen to the road crews who worked nonstop for 36 hours fighting off this storm. .. and the 10 foot piles of snow on the side of the highways!

[edit on 12/23/2004 by QuietSoul]

join