It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractured Skull Earliest Evidence of Homicide (430,000 Ya)?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: peter vlar

That's why I chose "homicide" for the title rather than "murder." Homicide is the killing of a human being regardless of the intent and includes murder, voluntary ritual sacrifice, euthanasia, etc.

Ahhh well you've got me there haha

The idea of ritual sacrifice (or ritual anything) 430,000 years ago is exciting because nobody really knows when religion began. Another fascinating thing about Sima de los Huesos is that the remains are from more than one species of hominin.

It's definitely an anthropogists wet dream to work this dig. It's a site that's going to be teaching us for decades to come.

It's certainly plausible that the individual was sacrificed and thrown in the pit as an offering. Maybe the ritualistic nature of the sacrifice didn't extend to the method by which the person was killed (otherwise, I'd expect similar injuries to other craniums)?

I agree that there should be similar cranial injuries were it THE method for ritual sacrifice. As you mentioned above, with more than one hominid species cohabitating in the same geographic region, it could have been anything from religious sacrifice to territorial disputes to a fight over a lady or any number of things in between that one could imagine. It would be interesting to get a breakdown of the demographics of the remains. How many male vs. female, ages at time if death, types of injuries,type of hominid, what period of the Pleistocene they expired etc... to be able to draw more inferences and reach a more clear conclusion. That's what makes this site so important though, they latitude of possibilities and the answers we can obtain from a currently little known period of history.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Well there is also the fact...you cannot leave dead corpses of any kind laying above ground for fear of larger predators being summoned. very few large carnivores will jump into a hole of that depth unless seriously challenged for calories. It is assuredly a ritual site, either for disposing of fallen comrades, or ritual sacrifices...its fairly obvious it was a disposal system that would not contraindicate the using communities.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: spiritualKat33

Who is to say this person, whatever it was, didn't get struck by a stalagmite or stalactite and roll down a hill and fall on it again!

And that this happened 28 separate times, to 28 different people?

The archeological site, Sima de los Huesos in northern Spain, is located deep within an underground cave system and contains the skeletal remains of at least 28 individuals.OP Source

'Sima los Huesos' means 'the bone pit'.

edit on 29/5/15 by Astyanax because: she was in the wrong bracket.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

think it's pretty fair to be skeptical that it was a homicide...

Ritual murder or self-sacrifice, 'judicial' execution, even 'ethnic cleansing' (by a species of hominin whose remains aren't among those the bone pit... there are several possibilities.

As BlueJacket points out, the most significant datum is that all the remains are at one location.

edit on 29/5/15 by Astyanax because: of more brackets.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
I'm suprised the bible folk arent claiming this to be Abel from Cain & Abel...

Please don't give them ideas

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Well blow me down sideways! My bad!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualKat33

I think I have seen a film where Mr N.Thal was repeatedly struck in the head with a femur bone. Look for a black monolith nearby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join