It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractured Skull Earliest Evidence of Homicide (430,000 Ya)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have a particularly fondness for discoveries of the oldest known anything. In this case, what researchers might have found is the oldest evidence of a homicide.

From Eureka Alert:

The archeological site, Sima de los Huesos in northern Spain, is located deep within an underground cave system and contains the skeletal remains of at least 28 individuals that date to around 430,000 years ago, during the Middle Pleistocene. The only access to the site is through a 13-meter deep vertical shaft, and how the human bodies arrived there remains a mystery.

A nearly complete skull, Cranium 17 from the Sima de los Huesos, is comprised of 52 cranial fragments recovered during excavations at the site over the last 20 years. This skull shows two penetrating lesions on the frontal bone, above the left eye. Relying on modern forensic techniques, such as contour and trajectory analysis of the traumas, the authors of the study showed that both fractures were likely produced by two separate impacts by the same object, with slightly different trajectories around the time of the individual's death. According to the authors, the injuries are unlikely to be the result of an accidental fall down the vertical shaft. Rather, the type of fracture, their location, and that they appear to have been produced by two blows with the same object lead the authors to interpret them as the result of an act of lethal interpersonal aggression--or what may constitute the earliest case of murder in human history.

Here is an image of Cranium 17, from an article at Live Science:

There are about a dozen sources for this story on my news feed.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Did they solve this murder yet? i am guessing they will have a difficult time proving this was in fact a murder beyond any reasonable doubt, so it really falls the wayside of science not really having a leg to stand on or in this case a fractured skull. So, what they are saying is this was no accident, right? Prove it. See how easy that was for me to make reasonable doubt?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualKat33

Did they solve this murder yet? i am guessing they will have a difficult time proving this was in fact a murder beyond any reasonable doubt, so it really falls the wayside of science not really having a leg to stand on or in this case a fractured skull. So, what they are saying is this was no accident, right? Prove it. See how easy that was for me to make reasonable doubt?

Nobody is attempting to solve a murder.....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Suspicious death? Okay, just seems very hard to prove the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate demise of this individual, there are strange ways to die and there is even a weird show that says so. Who is to say this person, whatever it was, didn't get struck by a stalagmite or stalactite and roll down a hill and fall on it again! See how silly it sounds,and why do I care!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Very interesting story thanks mate. I can follow the logic of an aggressive death whether ritualistic or otherwise as two similar strikes in the same region lend themselves to a strike much more so than a fall. But to have two strikes from the same direction on the same site...screams of a bound or restrained in some manner victim...especially that portion of the frontal lobe which is very durable. In a contest you would expect separate injuries with varying angles of impact.

edit on 27-5-2015 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Not at all forensics is a very evolved science.
a reply to: spiritualKat33

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the link!

Something else caught my eye while reading...
I love missing persons cases myself...

The Physicist Who Vanished

Brilliant minds who seem to self destruct or ?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Could have been hit by a branch falling out of a tree which poked two holes like that.

Maybe a tuning fork flew out of a ten story building and landed on his head. Maybe he fell on a rock with two knobs.

To even try to say that this is homicide is just a fabrication, lots of things could have happened.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I suppose he could have been head butted by a small giraffe and the holes are from its ossicones?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

What can be concluded is that the wounds were caused by two separate impacts with what appears to be the exact same object and at different trajectories, which is consistent with being struck twice in the head with something like a stone weapon/tool. I suppose it's equally possible that the unfortunate individual's head was smashed against a fixed object twice.

Given the hominin propensity for violence against one another, I think authors' assessment is probably spot on.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Not to derail my own thread for shameless plug but thanks, I try to feature the most interesting stories of the day (most days) from among what my aggregator pulls in.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

YW
And, never intentional derailment on my part...

Could it have been an animal attack of some sort? Possibly ?

Not a giraffe but, something? An ape?
edit on 27-5-2015 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Interesting story.

I have an alibi.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I suppose he could have been head butted by a small giraffe and the holes are from its ossicones?

The thing is that these marks could have been made by a lot of different things. Under conditions that we can't even comprehend today. I just don't care for it when people speculate then try to pass it off as real. I'm not going to say it definitely was not Homicide, only that there are a lot of possibilities.

It actually sucks when I can't get fired up and believe things others would just accept as real because of the authors. I've been that way all my life, sometimes you find the people who say they are experts know less than someone who says they know nothing.
edit on 28-5-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The thing is that these marks could have been made by a lot of different things. Under conditions that we can't even comprehend today. I just don't care for it when people speculate then try to pass it off as real. I'm not going to say it definitely was not Homicide, only that there are a lot of possibilities.

It actually sucks when I can't get fired up and believe things others would just accept as real because of the authors. I've been that way all my life, sometimes you find the people who say they are experts know less than someone who says they know nothing.

I think it's pretty fair to be skeptical that it was a homicide. There is a lot of speculation that goes into that pronouncement to be sure. It could have been a ritualistic event by a willing participant for example, particularly when looking at the number of bodies located. What is pretty clear though is that the fractures were made by the same object which rules out a fall down the shaft where the bodies/remains were located. Personally, I was more interested in the fact that 28 sets of remains were located in the shaft indicating either the earliest indication of purposeful burial or ritual sacrifice. There are a lot of interesting and potentially game changing things that can come to light from this site and give us a whole lot of insight into a time period of humanities past behaviorally. Homicide could certainly be the case but it wouldn't have been my focus were I digging at the site without additional indicators. Though from the pictures, it certainly looks like a violent attack. It will get more hits on the article from that angle, I just try to keep in mind that with no motive we don't really have a murder. A violent death though, not much argument there. That's just me though. Here's a link to the actual paper though if anyone is interested- journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0126589

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

That's why I chose "homicide" for the title rather than "murder." Homicide is the killing of a human being regardless of the intent and includes murder, voluntary ritual sacrifice, euthanasia, etc.

The idea of ritual sacrifice (or ritual anything) 430,000 years ago is exciting because nobody really knows when religion began. Another fascinating thing about Sima de los Huesos is that the remains are from more than one species of hominin.

It's certainly plausible that the individual was sacrificed and thrown in the pit as an offering. Maybe the ritualistic nature of the sacrifice didn't extend to the method by which the person was killed (otherwise, I'd expect similar injuries to other craniums)?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
You may have misnterpreted my meaning. What I was implying was this was 2 strikes where they could not of easily been placed in the same area unless the victim was incapacitated in some way.

if this was a murder without binding the victim and from the front....then that was amazing focus. Not really arguing but after years of martial arts with weapons its just improbable outside of being bound..not impossible, improbable.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Human history at best is 6000 years old we are told
but they throw about ages of 3.1 3.6 million years like the .3 /4 or 5 means nothing when it is hundreds of thousands of years , and our knowledge is but 0.0006 of that

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Another item of note is the mention of " funerary behavior"

I am surprised they didnt conclude ritual excercise as the reason, based on the accumulation of circumstantial evidence. The hole they were found in would be very likely representative of the Goddess worship/sacrifice practiced in various cultures in more modern history...at least when compared to the age of this site.

without metallurgy sacrifice by blunt object certainly seems logical.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm suprised the bible folk arent claiming this to be Abel from Cain & Abel...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join