It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#WWJVD: Amnesty for Pot Convicts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
But we both know they are not rehabilitation centers. If anything...they promote future illegal activity. They are "Time Out Centers" (I quote cause I like your wording) or revenge centers. So with that...I would have to stick with the idea that the punishment (prison) is for breaking a law not the act contained within the law.

This just shows a problem with the system that expands beyond just the drug war. It should be looked into and fixed, not accepted because that is the way things are.

Regardless...I say legalize pot for everyone over legal age and be done with it. Its a hell of a lot better than alcohol. But I think that the people paying for breaking the current laws should finish their time. Or maybe a reduced time. But I feel the same about illegal aliens. They broke the law coming here...they should at least be sent back to follow the legal process. But that is another thread.

Maybe if prison wasn't so life ruining I could agree with you on this... With how bad just having an arrest on your record can make your life, going to jail pretty much guarantees you are done working legally, even when you do get out. I find it tough to argue that people should be in jail when they have no business being there.

Keep in mind that our prisons are VERY overcrowded. You know those illegals you just got done talking about? Many of them end up released because we don't have the space to keep them there. The other aspect to letting these pot offenders off is that it frees up beds in these jails for people who commit serious crimes. Spending tax money feeding and sheltering a pot offender is a waste of tax money on all accounts even if they did get caught breaking the law by using/selling it.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
But we both know they are not rehabilitation centers. If anything...they promote future illegal activity. They are "Time Out Centers" (I quote cause I like your wording) or revenge centers. So with that...I would have to stick with the idea that the punishment (prison) is for breaking a law not the act contained within the law.

This just shows a problem with the system that expands beyond just the drug war. It should be looked into and fixed, not accepted because that is the way things are.

Regardless...I say legalize pot for everyone over legal age and be done with it. Its a hell of a lot better than alcohol. But I think that the people paying for breaking the current laws should finish their time. Or maybe a reduced time. But I feel the same about illegal aliens. They broke the law coming here...they should at least be sent back to follow the legal process. But that is another thread.

Maybe if prison wasn't so life ruining I could agree with you on this... With how bad just having an arrest on your record can make your life, going to jail pretty much guarantees you are done working legally, even when you do get out. I find it tough to argue that people should be in jail when they have no business being there.

Keep in mind that our prisons are VERY overcrowded. You know those illegals you just got done talking about? Many of them end up released because we don't have the space to keep them there. The other aspect to letting these pot offenders off is that it frees up beds in these jails for people who commit serious crimes. Spending tax money feeding and sheltering a pot offender is a waste of tax money on all accounts even if they did get caught breaking the law by using/selling it.

I absolutely do agree with you about the system and prisons. Personally...I've given up on any belief that this type of thing will be fixed. Everything is too corrupt and has its roots, financially, too deep within our entire economy and social structure. I do believe that if someone knows that a law exists and they break the law...they should be punished. If not...there is no reason to follow any law. But yeah...ruining a person's life over something as stupid as some pot is wrong. But I have no faith that "right" matters anymore.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
There shouldn't be amnesty, just commute their sentence when it becomes law. Amnesty means that they are supposed to take the offense off of their criminal record. Commutation just ends the prison sentence.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Everything can change. Even the deepest roots can be uprooted. Naturally these things don't happen overnight so it can appear to be disheartening as these things continue on for a long time, but take note, marijuana policy has changed CONSIDERABLY over the last 10 or so years. People are finally starting to question the war on drugs. They are questioning out of control police tactics. If it isn't seriously being done yet, the failings of our prison system are only a logical next step. Give it time, be patient. Change happens.

Believe it or not, our country has been MUCH more totalitarian in the past. Just thank whatever god you may believe in that you weren't alive to see the red scare, or weren't Japanese during WWII, or weren't black or native like any time before the 60's.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I agree 100%,nobody should be in prison for minor pot crimes. I think this can of worms has been an impediment to legalization..so much money thrown around in the drug war in general..it's big industry. Would records still stand or would they be expunged?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Whether something does happen, and whether it should happen are two different things. The states don't have to pay lawsuits anyway, you can't sue the government. If you do, you're not going to win. And besides, when the people were arrested, it was against the law. So you can't sue and say, 'I shouldn't of been arrested' when what you did was against the law when you were arrested.

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Amnesty for convicts would almost ensure a row of lawsuits against the state. That's probably akin to asking the FBI to stop setting up patsies.

But I'd agree with that and while they're at it, how about a genuine independent investigation into whether there were any illegal activities leading up to the classification. If so and don't fall within statue of limitations than any parties or companies since they are considered people should face charges. Why not right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join