It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warship in Corfu, Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I am currently on the island of Corfu in of the coast of mainland Greece.

I was driving past Kerikya airport (think thats the spelling) and spotted a massive warship in the sea at the end of the runway almost. (Very small island)

I just wonder if anyone has any idea why??
The reason I ask is because i heard a bit about the threat at JFK the other day though i have no English speaking tv atm and cant find info online.

The gun on this ship is massive!

I fly from there tomorrow.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Can you get a pic?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Can you get a pic?

Or it didn't happen?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: michael1888

It could be part of the new plan the EU came out with to fight the human trafficking going on in the Med. Several countries said they would add warships to the Med for this purpose.

Just a thought. It's the first thing that popped into my head.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Or it didn't happen?
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
No, not that. I would like to see the ship....

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Can you get a pic?

I was driving at the time, will have a look again in the morn, i am about 20-25km away.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Or it didn't happen?
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
No, not that. I would like to see the ship....

I know, I was just kidding.

They have ramped up the number of Naval ships in the Med as a response to the number of immigrants entering the E.U, so maybe it has something to do with that.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: michael1888Corfu.
Without knowing anything about the current situation there, I can offer a couple of thoughts.
One is that part of Greece consists of a mass of islands just off mainland Turkey, so that would be a good reason for having a good-sized precautionary navy.
Another is that these ships have got to be based somewhere, even when no trouble is pending, so why not have one at Corfu?
There would be more cause for interest if it was flying a non-Greek flag.
If it's Russian, then you've got a worthwhile conspiracy theory.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
a reply to: michael1888

It could be part of the new plan the EU came out with to fight the human trafficking going on in the Med. Several countries said they would add warships to the Med for this purpose.

Just a thought. It's the first thing that popped into my head.

Now they just need to go to the UK and take all the rape gangs down, lol good too see them helping greece though! Sweden needs it more though, africas rape issues arent even as bad as swedens i heard today, not even indias which is less worse than africa!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Without knowing anything about the current situation there, I can offer a couple of thoughts.
One is that part of Greece consists of a mass of islands just off mainland Turkey, so that would be a good reason for having a good-sized precautionary navy.
Another is that these ships have got to be based somewhere, even when no trouble is pending, so why not have one at Corfu?

Corfu is nearer Italy than Turkey, its on the other side of Greece near Albania. Possibly is just sitting there.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: michael1888

The gun on this ship is massive!

That's why we need a pic. A "massive" gun means what, exactly? There are no more battleships, so this is likely a destroyer of some kind. A cruiser isn't really that much bigger. The current classes of American warships have only small-looking guns because their basic offensive weapon is missiles. Could be somebody else's, of course but without a pic we can't tell much.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I think you missed some geography classes while in school. Corfu is in Ionian sea, right at the border with Albania. Islands off mainland Turkey are in Aegean sea. Far far away from Corfu.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos
To be fair, I cited Turkey's proximity as a reason for possessing a navy at all.
My proposed explanation for the location was "even in peacetime, the ships have got to be somewhere, so why not Corfu?"

edit on 27-5-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I can't find anything on the Kerikya airport webCams? Maybe someone else should give it a try?

I would like to see what the boat looks like.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well i know in Crete you have Souda Bay, which is a naval dock for all sorts. I was on holiday there once and see a submarine exiting the harbour

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Who's Navy ship is it??? does anybody know. I understand it was at sea, and you didnt get a close look. Im going to take a wild guess, and say the US. but it could be anyone, and probably just a nonscheduled stop for some drop offs, or even an emergency repair. these Warships do break down on a very very rare occassion

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Telos
To be fair, I cited Turkey's proximity as a reason for possessing a navy at all.
My proposed explanation for the location was "even in peacetime, the ships have got to be somewhere, so why not Corfu?"

ok, gottcha

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Do remember many many years ago heading to corfu and we didn't see much of a military but i'd imagine they'll keep stuff on the move so in theory all a spy can say is it was here a week ago and 99% of it is full of pissed up brits etc so they'll never cause too much trouble.

But when we went to Kos when we went along to the town centre singing tom jones best as stoke fans we suddenly got met by a guard with a large gun which did seem to sober us up a bit which isn't too bad as we missed the greek police sent to stop us singing delilah so at least we got home in time for work

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Russia and China were undertaking a joint exercise in the Med earlier this month.

Possibly one of those boats?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: theghostfaceentity

Sweden has said that they will take even more than last year, last year they had 80 000 applications for asylum and not many of the applicants have turned away. Humanitarian like this might give them extra praise and Nobel price for not giving a damn about their own people.

When Italy started Mare Nostrum couple years ago, refugees has doubled. It was a dog who bit owners leg.

A big game which has more in it that is quickly seen. Lately refugees from Syria and Eritrea has decreased but the smuggling goes on with ships filled full of people and now with economic refugees from Africa ( west coast ).
Smugglers selling tickets to people who want to leave these countries, ticket per person cost 4000 dollars and there are whole families coming to Europe. If someone affords to buy a ticket which costs 4000 dollars / per family member, it tells that these people are those better off people in countries they come from and not those who are struggling hard to survive .
Ships that do not have any crew and which are in very bad condition and linked to organized crime, smugglers and ISIS . Among the passengers there are ISIS fighters entering Europe, and i believe we don´t need to wonder why.
edit on 27-5-2015 by dollukka because: add

top topics

<<   2 >>

join