It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 year old giants of the Sahara

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ever heard of the Babylon disperision and Darwin?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: TeekyThe comment you referenced is benign. Anthropology once was very racist, especially when it comes to categories such as caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid.

Sure, and I'm willing to bet that with the last name of Taylor, that I had tailors in my family history--does that mean that I'm a tailor now, or that I magically possess that quality without any proof of me being a tailor?

Just because something (e.g.: Archaeology) used to be something (e.g.: Racist) does not mean that it is now, nor that comments implying or stating that it is are valid.

We'll just disagree on how benign the comment was and move on.

Taylor?? tailors? What are you talking about. Anthropology is just less racist than it use to be. Tptb just put people in place like Hawass who will straight up lie, unlike gramham hancock or others that speak the real truth.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: Teeky

Not to be overly pedantic here but Anthropology was never racist. It's a science and a tool for looking into our history as humans. Some of the Europeans who concocted and promoted terms like caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid etc...(Johann Friedrich Blumenbach) were certainly racists or at least European Supremacists, but 'Caucasian' as a racial identifier originated at the tail end of the 18th century, long before Anthropology or at least Anthropology as it exists today. The term was first used in the 17th century but at that time referred to the study of anatomy and physiology along with psychology( or in the nomenclature of the time the parts of the body and how the connected to the soul). What we refer to as Anthropology today never existed prior to the publication of On the Origin of Species. But I'm just ranting now so I'll quit while I'm ahead!

So Anthropology/science went by the name of "naturalist" at one point... still the same thing.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teeky
Tptb just put people in place like Hawass who will straight up lie, unlike gramham hancock or others that speak the real truth.

Who can argue with 'logic' like that? Oh, wait....

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin96
OK, white people discovered and did so many things. They didn't discover paper or gunpowder, though. What are you worried about? Black people are part of civilization now, and as time goes on, their list of accomplishments will grow. What did Dark Age Europeans accomplish? Nothing.
a reply to: FeistyFemme

The column was not invented by the ancient Greeks but by the ancient Egyptians. Or the oblisk sitting in washington d.c. The only credit you give the rest of the human race outside of white people as far as inventions goes is gun powder?? lol...

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

And still not a racist branch of science no matter how you choose to convolute facts with your personal narrative. Again, certain individuals were racists, not all of them and the science wasnt a tool for promoting racism. Brlieve what you want though.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

And still not a racist branch of science no matter how you choose to convolute facts with your personal narrative. Again, certain individuals were racists, not all of them and the science wasnt a tool for promoting racism. Brlieve what you want though.

My facts are FACTS.Yes certain individuals in anthropologie were racist, but their views and studies shaped the whole of anthropology for a century. Thank God things have started to change. Lol it's tons of people who still believe the world was in darkness until Europeans came about. Please...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

You should be able to figure out what I'm talking about--the history of something, be it anthropology or family surnames, does not dictate what that thing is in the present.

Graham Hancock and other speak possibilities, while Hawass et al. adhere often times to strict archaeological presumptions. In my opinion, neither have it exactly right, and the presence of Hancock and others is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that they're exactly correct, either.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

My facts are FACTS.Yes certain individuals in anthropologie were racist, but their views and studies shaped the whole of anthropology for a century.

No, that's not a fact. That's your hand picked narrative. You are confusing cultural confusions with those of science. Otherwise nobody would have explored the remains found in Africa and Asia(I.e. H. Erectus) the first being found on Java in 1891. That's just one example of many.

Thank God things have started to change. Lol it's tons of people who still believe the world was in darkness until Europeans came about. Please...

You make it sound like"change" has only appeared the last couple of decades or something which is an entirely preposterous notion. The work that the Leakey's did in East Africa in the early 20th century was beyond ground breaking. As for what people believe, that's the fault of educational standards and sheer willful ignorance, not Anthropology. So yeah... Please indeed

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I know the column first appeared in Ancient Egypt. I was giving examples, not making a list.a reply to: Teeky

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Peter vlar

Not a hand picked narrative, just facts. And yes the Leakeys were awesome with the work they did. But so you admit education has played a factor when it comes to what has been taught to the masses over that last 50 years. Remember that whole farce about Columbus discovering America lol! Europeans want to be the giants and ancient givers of civilization and that just isn't true. We all share in Earths History.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Not a hand picked narrative, just facts. And yes the Leakeys were awesome with the work they did. But so you admit education has played a factor when it comes to what has been taught to the masses over that last 50 years. Remember that whole farce about Columbus discovering America lol! Europeans want to be the giants and ancient givers of civilization and that just isn't true. We all share in Earths History.

A hand picked narrative is exactly what this is. You make assertions, claim them as facts and then provide nothing resembling a citation to support those alleged "fscts". Thats a narrative based on your personal opinion. A fact would be supprted with citations. This is not.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777
Probably because you are able to dig a smaller hole.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

A hand picked narrative is exactly what this is. You make assertions, claim them as facts and then provide nothing resembling a citation to support those alleged "fscts". Thats a narrative based on your personal opinion. A fact would be supprted with citations. This is not.

So tell me one thing that I've stated besides you not believing that anthropology started out as a racist study as not being fact??

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

So tell me one thing that I've stated besides you not believing that anthropology started out as a racist study as not being fact??

That columns were invented in Egypt. Greeks didn't invent them either...well, neither did under the names of Egyptian or Greek.

The use of simple wooden columns predates the bronze age and we have no way of knowing (at current) as to whom actually started using them first.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Tptb just put people in place like Hawass who will straight up lie, unlike gramham hancock or others that speak the real truth.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thats really cute how instead of addressing the fact that you keep making the same claim amd insisting thst it is a fact yet still havent put forth anything resembling a citation to demonstrate that it is a fact. Until then it is your narrative based opinion. THAT is a fact. Your statements regarding the origin of the co,umn and your wuaint compare and comtrast of Hawass vs. Hancock and his pseudo science have been addressed already. Its very interesting that you want to act is if you are oh so knowledgable regarding how science works yet can't get a handle on the absolute basics. Since it still eludes you ilk give you a quick run down... If YOU make a claim, the onus lies upon you to support it with corroborating facts and citations. Simple enough? Until you support your purported "facts" with supporting data, all they are is your own opinion. Capiche?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

The column was not invented by the ancient Greeks but by the ancient Egyptians. Or the oblisk sitting in washington d.c. The only credit you give the rest of the human race outside of white people as far as inventions goes is gun powder?? lol...

Columns were found at göbekli tepe, the "T"-shaped columns, and they have been dated to an incredibly early date. Further, the top bar of the "T" is separated from the upright by an incised line, indicating a long history of post-and-lintel construction (in wood?).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join