It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. indicts world soccer officials in alleged $150 million FIFA bribery scandal

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

No, this isn't about "jealousy" but rather half the world being pissed off that despite having better bids, those who pay the most in bribes get given the competition. This is about the corruption everyone has known about for a while and it isn't just the US that is pissed off, most of the UEFA countries are hacked off as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I'm so curious as to where this ends and how.

SO, there's this to add.

I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup.

In and around 1993 and continuing through the early 2000s I and others agreed to accept bribes and kick-backs in conjunction with the broadcast and other rights to the ’96, ’98, 2000, 2002 and 2003 Gold Cups.

Beginning in, or around, 2004 and continuing to 2011, I and others on the FIFA executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup.

Between April of 2004 and May 2011 , I and others who were fiduciaries to both FIFA and CONCACAF, in contravention of our duties, I and others, while acting in our official capacities, agreed to participate in a scheme to defraud FIFA and CONCACAF of the right to honest services by taking undisclosed bribes. I and others agreed to use e-mail, telephone, and a wire transfer into and out of the United States in furtherance of the scheme.

theaosn.com...

Why aren't the people handing out the bribe money getting busted? They must be bankers. Meh, what do I know.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I'd imagine that once the bribee's get their cummupence, attention will turn to the bribers themselves, although this is likely to be left to their own nations unless the investigators can trace any of the wrongdoing to another nation, in which case they can involve Interpol and get them extradited.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I do not understand why america is prosecuting FIFA? I mean, after all this time, why does america suddenly care what FIFA has been doing?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: symphonyofblase

It's to do with supposed bribery and corruption over the voting for the host nations of the FIFA World Cups in 2018 and 2022 and long before that.

Russia and Qatar (yes that well known sporting nation in the desert) were both selected as hosts by FIFA's executive committee. Various funds have been misappropriated through American banks by FIFA officials in what is suspected were various backhanders and bribes to ensure the votes went to the two winning nations. It actually goes back 20 years or so with proven bribes to FIFA Officials to ensure exclusive TV rights, ticket scams and other swindles as well.

America, England and Australia all put forward bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups and got hardly any votes whilst Russia and Qatar surprisingly won hosting rights. Once you rile the 3 Amigos all at once you are in trouble. FIFA are in a lot of trouble now.

edit on 4/6/15 by mirageman because: typo

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: symphonyofblase

On top of what mirageman said, the US is actually quite a big footballing nation - they have 3 million kids (out of an estimated total of 70 million - 4.5% ish) which is playing at grass roots level and the attendances in the MLS rival that of Premier League clubs, the highest of the MLS clubs actually get more through the gates than the likes of Chelsea or Everton.

It's a bit of a myth they don't play or care about "soccer", they do and they're going after FIFA because the idiots there were stupid enough to:

a) Think they're untouchable, so weren't particular sneaky about it
b) They used US financial institutions to facilitate the bribing, which makes it very much the USA's jurisdiction.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

As an example: Seattle Sounders (MSL) draws nearly 40000 per. If they'd open the stadium completely, it'd be higher than that, I think.

Other clubs are drawing well, too, though not that well.

Football is growing in the US. Soon we may even field a presentable international club.

By all accounts, the US bid was, if not the best, certainly in the top two. They've reason to be cheesed off. England, too.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This could be it's own story in another forum but I'll just throw it in here.

FIFA made a movie, touting itself as this great organization. Tooting their own horn and the public took that horn from them and stuffed it down their collective pants.

It cost 27 million to make and just closed after grossing, and I'm not making this up, $918 at the box office. It's called United Passions and yes, it does exist. It's real, Tim Roth, Sam Neil, Gerard Depardeaux(or however it's spelled), you know, real actors and stuff.

75 movies in history have done worse and that's a stat I find really amazing, nay astounding.

Gotta just laugh at these fools. It's as if they never realized that banks are being watched these days(well, sort of, not for their own illegal activities but for everyone else it's not quite the same) and then made this movie that no one cares about AND spent a boatload of money on it. This must be in the Plan 9/ Manos territory if it's so bad that they could only make $918.

I'm almost certain I could come up with $918 and not have to spend 27 Mil to get it.

Sorry, heard it in ESPN so didn't go look for a link but I'm sure it can easily be found. Sue me, I'm being lazy and in need of a nap before I start the day.

Funny enough, you couldn't even get close to trying to think about possibly bribing a FIFA guy with $918. Gotta love the whole story.
edit on 6/18/2015 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Yeah, I read about that. In one theatre, only one person bought a ticket to see it.

I imagine there was a fair few kickbacks involved in the making of the film and it was probably a way to launder money under the guise of funding the movie.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Gods, I never even thought of that. Real life is way funnier than any comedy that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Didn't the Mob use Hollywood back in the day? Same thing, pour a load of cash into a movie, so many people with their hand in the pot it's easy to take some out...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join