It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Bill Nye Talks Extraterrestrial Life: 'It's Gotta Exist'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:16 AM
a reply to: Tearman

First off, have you ever heard of extremophiles??

That's just a myth. In fact there has been many places where people have said conditions were to hostile for life to exist and guess what, they found life!

An extremophile (from Latin extremus meaning "extreme" and Greek philiā (φιλία) meaning "love") is an organism that thrives in physically or geochemically extreme conditions that are detrimental to most life on Earth.

Astrobiology is the field concerned with forming theories, such as panspermia, about the distribution, nature, and future of life in the universe. In it, microbial ecologists, astronomers, planetary scientists, geochemists, philosophers, and explorers cooperate constructively to guide the search for life on other planets. Astrobiologists are particularly interested in studying extremophiles, as many organisms of this type are capable of surviving in environments similar to those known to exist on other planets. For example, Mars may have regions in its deep subsurface permafrost that could harbor endolith communities.[citation needed] The subsurface water ocean of Jupiter's moon Europa may harbor life, especially at hypothesized hydrothermal vents at the ocean floor.

On 26 April 2012, scientists reported that lichen survived and showed remarkable results on the adaptation capacity of photosynthetic activity within the simulation time of 34 days under Martian conditions in the Mars Simulation Laboratory (MSL) maintained by the German Aerospace Center (DLR).[17][18]

On 29 April 2013, scientists in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, funded by NASA, reported that, during spaceflight on the International Space Station, microbes seem to adapt to the space environment in ways "not observed on Earth" and in ways that "can lead to increases in growth and virulence".[19]

On 19 May 2014, scientists announced that numerous microbes, like Tersicoccus phoenicis, may be resistant to methods usually used in spacecraft assembly clean rooms. It's not currently known if such resistant microbes could have withstood space travel and are present on the Curiosity rover now on the planet Mars.[20]

On 20 August 2014, scientists confirmed the existence of microorganisms living half a mile below the ice of Antarctica.[21][22]

On 20 August 2014, Russian cosmonauts reported finding sea plankton on outer window surfaces of the International Space Station and have been unable to explain how it got there.[23][24][25][26]

Also, the universe is fine tuned to produce life just like stars, galaxies or comets based on the constants of nature. Show me how the universe couldn't produce life based on the constants of nature. How couldn't the universe produce stars and galaxies based on the constants of nature?

If you're going to say the universe wasn't fine tuned for life you have to show based on the constants of nature how the universe had any other choice but to produce life.
edit on 30-5-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:27 AM

originally posted by: Legman
a reply to: Harte

GOD, I thought I was going crazy or just stupid after reading all of this.

You'll get a lot of that around here.
Welcome to ATS.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:59 PM

originally posted by: neoholographic
If you're going to say the universe wasn't fine tuned for life you have to show based on the constants of nature how the universe had any other choice but to produce life.

Nice thread...However, my thought here is that perhaps the phrase "fine tuned" is not appropriate. After all so many have balked and stumbled over the phrase.

Although, after all the attempts to contradict it remains; that the Universe, as a natural consequence of all factors and condition that exist within it does naturally lead to the creation of life. And, that there is no other logical consequence.

The reality is, that life, like planets, stars, galaxies, is ubiquitous.

This whole notion even extends into, and is wholly supported by meta-physics, even at it's highest levels. As Hermes said "the Universe is mind" that the sole purpose of the Universe is to create something that can "experience"...mind is required for "experience", life is required for "mind". Thus, in a sort of abstract, transcendental way, life, and especially life like Terrestrial Humans is the "end product" of the Universe as a whole...In reality; "Human" is the logical end-point of evolution, but not the end of evolution...

And of course; "fine tuned" is but one logical way of "viewing" all this.

ETA: I disagree quite a bit with the "fine tuner" notions. and would submit; that the Universe itself IS the "fine tuner"...But, to understand this statement you will need to be familiar with Thelemic cosmology, and some concepts from "Enochian Physics". Then you will need to read my General Theory of Magick.

After that you may begin to get an idea of what I'm talking about here...but, it would seem to be a rather logical alternative to the existing ideas about "God", multiverses, etc.

edit on 31-5-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:33 PM
a reply to: tanka418

I think "end product" would be a good phrase. Humans have evolved high intelligence and haven't existed in a Gaia type of state on Earth. We have risen to dominate the planet, have eradicated other species, destroyed vegetation, ruined parts of our own atmosphere, threatened the destruction of our planet through nuclear development, etc. You can argue we haven't been a productive part of the system of life on Earth. If you stand back and look at the history of Earth overall, you can see it's been far more successful with the evolution of basic life, than it has with high intelligence. It seems intelligence beyond the success of a species survival isn't an important part of life on a planet. If it were, it would have happened multiple times in one form or another. Human levels of intelligence is a fluke. That's proven by the evolution and domination of every other form of life on Earth. That's not to say high intelligence doesn't exist out there somewhere though.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:41 PM
Saying the universe is fine-tuned for life is like saying that the oceans are fine-tuned for fish -- as if to say "it's a good thing there are oceans, or else all those fish would just be flopping around on the ground".

It's more a case that life is fine-tuned for the universe -- not the other way around. The life that began in the universe is the type that would begin in this particular universe. The life that further evolved in this universe evolved in such a way that it could thrive in this particular universe...

...I mean, I don't really expect life in this universe to form in such a way that it would have a tough time living in this universe.

edit on 5/31/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:37 AM

top topics
<< 3  4  5   >>