It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, Windows 7 Home Edition, 4 gig of Ram

Something is wrong.

When I try to install a program I get an error message about the Windows Installer error. I had this recently but overcame it by re-imaging the computer but that's no permanent fix and for some reason its come back.
I tried to download the Safety Scanner from the Widows website but it wont even initialize. When I click the download button all i get is a shimmer effect occuring.
I get a BSOD at the very end when I try to do a repair install.
I tried to do a memtest this morning. I got at 4 oclock, got it going and got a few hours later to see the results but all I got was a column of faint greenish glimmer towards one side of the screen. I could not 'get it going again by waving the mouse of hitting a key on the keyboard' so I had to hit the reset button and restart.
I cannot re-adjust the desktop to fill the screen using the Intel Graphic Media in the Programs list. I have tried to set it but its like there is one option missing in the various settings. Even the settings in the Media Centre have no effect on this problem.
I have about a dozen Important Security Updates that will not install even after several attempts. These are for Windows and MS Office.

I suspect a viris and or malware so I update AVG, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malware Antimalwarebytes, Spybot and Advanced System Care and set them to work. None of them find a bloody thing or fix anything.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
you can try this..link

I always run into weird problems after a reimage on win7 ultimate. I prefer a format and clean install from disc.

edit...that's probably too much anti virus..they will compete w each other
edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
also wanted to add..if it turns out to be a nasty virus, like it sounds, just do re-format. Is sometimes impossible to catch all the bad files, even with the best software. the software isn't always up to date with the new viruses.

shut off power and get into your setup menu and change boot sequence to disc first.
not sure your model, but probably esc key, f1 or f2? power off, then on then hold key to get into it.

windows will start install boot from disc, then show your drives. select them, then format and install.

You could also uninstall your video driver on safe mode then restart. Sometimes the drivers get corrupted on a re-image.

I usually opt for the nuclear format when it gets wacked out with a virus. I do banking on mine and don't mess around.

It's tough to remote diagnose from here though.

good luck buddy

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: added suggestion

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Could be malware blocking all downloads. There are too many antivirus programs on your system. Try to download in safe mode. if this is a recent problem, you can do a system restore, although some malware will block that as well. It may come down to analyzing all running processes. Re-format is your "nuke it from orbit" option, although that involves quite a bit more work. I don't see anything especially serious here, since your computer actually runs.
.a reply to: Azureblue

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Formatting at this point sounds a little drastic. Before I did that I would restore the computer to factory settings from the control panel. That's if it has a nasty virus you can't get rid of. My two cents worth.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
If the memtest failled you could try to take the memory module(s) from the socket(s) and put them back again, memory not working as it should gives strange errors.

Obviously, the best option would be to try a different memory module, but I don't know if that's possible.

edit on 27/5/2015 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Did you drop your not correctly socketed RAM?
edit on 27 5 2015 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
you can try this..link

I always run into weird problems after a reimage on win7 ultimate. I prefer a format and clean install from disc.

edit...that's probably too much anti virus..they will compete w each other

Thanks I did that but it did not work but i'll give it another go.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
Formatting at this point sounds a little drastic. Before I did that I would restore the computer to factory settings from the control panel. That's if it has a nasty virus you can't get rid of. My two cents worth.

Thanks I 'll have a go at that.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Did you drop your not correctly socketed RAM?

Dont think so but I definately keep that in minds as a cause BSOD, thanks

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Ah sigh

You don't stand a chance my friend.

If you believe in "updates"

Anyhow, back up the data you need, low level format and install.

While waiting look up flame virus Trojan that comes from updates, that among other things.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Windows Installer issues: support.microsoft.com...

It sounds like something is failing too. Boot into safe mode and see if that greenish glimmer comes back. Also try running memtest again but with 1 stick of RAM at a time. Good luck buddy, I'm off to work.
edit on 27-5-2015 by bjvanwash because: damn autocorrect

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BentBone

Ah sigh

You don't stand a chance my friend.

If you believe in "updates" .

Ive always been told that update are essential but I have often wondered how correct this is. You seem to doubt the claim too? I also partition my discs, odes that reduce the risks?

thanks

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Some updates are essential, others are not. Any and all operating systems utilize updates to resolve newly found security issues, drivers for newer gen hardware, support for updated peripheral apps, like Flash or Java, and so forth.

Partitioning your hard drive isn't going to do anything to protect you from issues nor viruses. Particularly if your operating system can see all of the partitions.

IMO your issues sounds like it could be one of three things:

1) You are trying to install a corrupted disc image.
2) You have a hardware failure - either your RAM or mobo
3) You have a corrupted or misconfigured BIOS

IMO a virus is a HUGE longshot as most modern malware is not designed to be destructive, it's engineered to either steal your data, processing power, bandwidth or to advertise a bunch of crap to you.

Diagnosing the above can become complicated so if you're not sure - it's probably best to find a local repair shop and ask them to take a peek. Oh, and avoid big box retail chains. Find a legit repair shop.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I think one of your sticks of RAM is bad. So bad it crashed Memtest and is corrupting your files. Pull them all out and look them over. Clean the contacts and only put one stick in at a time and run Memtest from a bootable CD.
A trick to installs that fail or BSOD is to go into the bios and shut off everything you can. Onboard sound, NIC, com and printer ports. USB ports if you can. Afterwards you can enable what you need and download the drivers.

I am pretty sure windows installer 4 is fine for windows 7.
www.microsoft.com...

For the graphics try CTRL+ALT+F11

To rule out hardware, and blame your windows images: Remove the old hard drive and swap it with another. Load windows from scratch and not use a image. Your original image sounds damaged since it leads you back to this stage each time.

You can download the ISO for your version of 7 here:
www.microsoft.com...

edit on 8/13/2015 by staple because: no trial for 7 now that 10 is out

BTW I am running the same motherboard.
edit on 8/13/2015 by staple because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/13/2015 by staple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join