It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Jim Carrey been blacklisted?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
He's still getting chances and rolls like Dumb and Dumber too that wasn't that funny and the part in Kickazz 2. Plenty of chances there. Just making bad movie choices. It only takes one good movie to revive a career and maybe some critical acclaim in a small part. Look at John Travolta in Pulp Fiction and Tom Cruise in Tropical Thunder.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
He's worn out. I agree many or most actors only get it on for 5 to 20 years at most then they fade into obscurity. Has a lot to do with aging, but people also change. Unsurprising.

I do want to see some of his movies. I probably haven't seen most of them. His early movies like Pet Detective turned me away. In the past 15 years I he does seem to have changed his tone and that made him more interesting to me. But I don't like his stance on guns and think he's about done as an actor. He's still got a lot of options in life. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
edit on 27-5-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

i just looked it up and it made $169,837,010 and cost $35,000,000 to make. pretty solid, anyway point is he has done at least one movie every year, probably has better things to do like canada stuff.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've noticed over the years that he pulls out the same comedy bits, like the Native American/Eskimo and the flapping wings/acting crazy (which he pulled out again for David Letterman's retirement show/Top 10). If he had new bits every time it would be nice. I mean, he IS getting paid $20 mil per movie or thereabouts, he should be able to come up with some fresh stuff.

His career has been marked with strokes of genius. The studio version (not movie version) of "Don't You Want Somebody To Love" he did for Cable Guy was amazing. The man has talent.

That said, the anti-gun video he did was like a punch in the gut to a lot of people, me included. I still watch the guy here and there, but I do so with a skeptical eye and ear.

His political views are not in line with mine. Honestly, I shouldn't know what his political views are and he shouldn't know mine. When someone stomps on The Constitution, it's a big deal to a lot of people.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: payta

There is no "blacklist"...

If the production companies think an actor can make them money, they will be making movies.

It's all about the money.

I'd beg to differ. Leonardo DiCaprio still hasn't won an Oscar...

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Will Smith is fading and Depp is, well he's Depp. He's always been an anomaly in Hollywood, capable of bouncing between serious and comedic roles, independent and big budget films. As long as he can call up Disney and say "Jack Sparrow again?" he's bankable.

Carrey, for whatever reason, never achieved that level of power and control. When he has tried to spread his wings critics and fans, alike, seemed to resent it. They wanted Ace Ventura 3 - not Man On The Moon or The Number 23.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Maybe he doesn't want to make another "comedy" film that isn't funny. Face it, American comedy nowadays sucks. The top names in American comedy have no talent, and the scripts are even worse. It's all toilette humor or someone getting kicked in the nuts. Comedy in America is on the serious decline. Many of his movies have been part of the problem, so here is hopping he doesn't want to contribute to more junk.

The Brits have the corner market on humor, but y'all are starting to let American influence take hold. Resist! Resist for all you are worth.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Maybe he doesn't want to make another "comedy" film that isn't funny. Face it, American comedy nowadays sucks. The top names in American comedy have no talent, and the scripts are even worse. It's all toilette humor or someone getting kicked in the nuts. Comedy in America is on the serious decline. Many of his movies have been part of the problem, so here is hopping he doesn't want to contribute to more junk.

The Brits have the corner market on humor, but y'all are starting to let American influence take hold. Resist! Resist for all you are worth.

Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert would disagree, they have been wildly successful as comedians and are quite funny.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yes, but they aren't making movies. "News" shows like theirs and late night t.v. still have it's fair share of comedy I'll grant you. I'll be happy to recant my statement if you can name one movie in the last 5 years that relied on wit over the same old gags with the maturity level of a 6 year old boy.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
A lot of the movies that were made from SNL skits seemed hilarious to me as a kid (Coneheads, Night at the Roxburry) -- but seem really stupid to me now later in life.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: romilo
Something is happening to may great actors/actresses nowdays, ppl that were funny and greatly talented all the suddenly makes movies that have zero funny with zero intelligence, i think ppl like dave chappelle tells the story quite well whats going on in hollywoot amongst other great entertainers as well, its the same shyt happening in the music industry, lose the real messages and add more ritualistic non sense so that millions will chant that shyt all over the world without understanding the meaning of it. Music and Movie industry are highjacked by some devil worshipers, perhaps they owned all that shyt for ages already but now they are pushing the agendas all over it, killing artists off left and right whom does not go with the plans. I kno its nuts consp theorist gone mad again but just study it bit and there is more leads and ppl are talking..

I completely agree with you...I wouldn't necessarily phrase it the same...but yes the music industry and hollywood is definitely up to producing stupidity propaganda....

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Well I think you reep what you sew and you don't get piss all over everyone else's flag and be upset when they piss on yours. Nationalism is the greatest evil in the world along with religion. I lived the Vietnam war and the "Hanoi Jane" crap. You buy the rhetoric if you please, that's your right. Just as its my right to believe that some people are "home protection enthusiasts" or "gun nuts" clinging to their guns and their Bible. fine with me but they need to give the rights they claim for themselves.
edit on Thu May 28th, 2015 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

i just looked it up and it made $169,837,010 and cost $35,000,000 to make. pretty solid, anyway point is he has done at least one movie every year, probably has better things to do like canada stuff.

But, but...I looked it up, too

If I were him, I'd definitely decide there were better things to do that continue making comedy movies...

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

my website had .net behind it so thats how you know its good! JK anyway he always kinda annoyed me except in his less ridiculous roles

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

Same here. I think Eternal Sunshine was the first movie of his that I actually enjoyed.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: romilo

Or maybe just MAYBE the actors in question lose the magic that made them relateable to the masses and they stop supporting the actors. Damn, not everyone pisses gold when they go to the bathroom...

Yeah m8 its all possible, i am not denying it, it might be just natural random happening, ppl lose their skills and so on.. That is not what i was saying all in all anyway.. I am saying there is the plan that is working through the music/movie industries but also inside many or even any of the societies systems, education, medication, law&order, spirituality and so on, i can see connections, symbolism and so on and so are many others.. I use to think i am weird perhaps crazy because i see these weird connections but actually many other ppl are seeing them as well and they are exposing em much better than i could, i am more like an observer, i just try to find my ways to the truth...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

American comedy isn't funny because it all has to be politically correct. That doesn't leave a whole lot of territory that can be covered.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: romilo

Hey, if you want to put puzzle pieces together that don't fit, or let others do it for you, that's on you. I'm just letting you know that the likely reason for this is that Jim has lost the magic.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join