It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Kids Banned from School Carnival - NY USA

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
What are we teaching the kids?

If you can't afford it, you get to participate regardless?

That saving, thinking ahead, planning, is not important, because if you just show up you get to do what everyone who planned, saved, got to do?

Kids who study for an exam do better than those kids who do not.

So should the kids who don't study get the same grades as those who did?

Beezer playing the devil's advocate today.

Please someone bring me another cup of coffee, and slap me because I think I'm dreaming. lol

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I can't count the times where a medicaid patient said they didn't have $3 for a copay (yes, medicaid copay is $3) but reeked of cigarette smoke or I saw them later on buying a carton of smokes. Very often such issues are a matter of poor priorities on the side of the parents.

I realize what you are saying but I couldn't help but think of this while I was reading it:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Preparing to be flamed into oblivion here, but big freaking deal. This soft ass society we're living in shocks me, this is not newsworthy. Sit in an air conditioned gym and watch a movie instead of class? Poor kids. First world problems, smdh.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There had to be a better way of handling this...
I don't know, having some free fun activities in the carnival while having some special ones for those who paid the money.
Have this activity at the end of the day and include the movie in with the carnival, and well rotate the students between the movie and the carnival and reward those students or didn't have the money with an early dismissal.... and well, I imagine that the profit that was made would have been more than enough to bus those who couldn't get a ride home or maybe arrange for some ride shares.
Or heck even have the activity after school hours and well bus the kids home on the late bus.

I don't know I don't remember ever having a school carnival back when I was going to school, although I do remember some that were open to all (who could pay) after school hours and on the weekend!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What's the point of social classes if you don't get to distinguish those who are superior and those who are inferior?

Life lesson: learned.

Keep it up public school!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

Preparing to be flamed into oblivion here, but big freaking deal. This soft ass society we're living in shocks me, this is not newsworthy. Sit in an air conditioned gym and watch a movie instead of class? Poor kids. First world problems, smdh.

But it did make the news, and because it impacts many underlying issues in our society.

Many of these children are from impoverished homes, and $10 can buy a 50 pound bag of potatoes, or sack of flour to feed the kids with. The only meals, and stability most of these types of kids get is when they get to school.

Also did anyone care to read why they had the event, on school time? A for profit event.

The real question is why can't DOE set a budget for each school to pay for the Kindergarten Stepping Up Ceremony and 5th Grade Graduation Ceremony.

The profit is earmarked for the pre-K, kindergarten and fifth-grade moving-up parties, he said.

So let's see. Have a fund raiser, on school time, then anyone that can't come up with the money to pay for another celebration can't attend? wtf kind of logic, and management is this.

Maybe they should have put them to work as carnival roadies?

Kids 5 to 10 years old don't understand this. What they do understand is they were excluded from an event because either their parents are selfish douche-bags and can't come up with the money, or they were to poor to come up with the $10 fee.

Maybe people are right it will teach these kids a lesson in life, a really harsh one, one that shows how self-centered, unorganized, and stereotypical adults can be.

If they were fair, logical, and just, they would have done this event off school time, and avoided the entire situation.

But the world isn't fair, logical, or just, and they better grow-up get used to it fast. smh

edit on 27-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is a failure of planning. You have a fundraiser to pay for the event, just so you don't have this situation. Costs are covered, everybody can go. Because once you essentially charge admission, you wind up with this fiasco where you're excluding the kids who's parent didn't pay. Now you look like a dope.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Stories like this and the coldness of heart that is growing among the masses against the most innocent, the children. This disgusts me as in if they already make profit, then letting the 100 come anyways wouldn't have matter as the money spread would have covered that gap anyhow. Funny how the TPTB force the politically correct B.S. about every one's a winner in the schools nowadays but yet still segregate the different classes of income still. Utterly disgusting!!!! A double standard, but remember all who welcome the NWO welcome corrupt double standards.....

Stories like is why I actually eagerly awaiting the SHTF, last days, and destruction coming to this filthy plane of existence. Most useless eaters really are useless eaters. When the demons come, game on for his days are numbered and he knows it. This country is shameful, and does worse each day it seems. No one can stop the judgement coming to the USA, the whore of Babylon will be drowned out.... It's already happening.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Just when you thought the USA school system couldn't sink any lower.

Unacceptable on every level. Because a few kids didn't have $10 to pay for a school carnival the principal gathered them up, and put them in an auditorium while the other kids laughed, played and had fun.

It's a heart-breaking story.

The reason I'm so pissed is I remember being one of those kids years ago, and segregated from an event because we didn't have the money.

nypost.com...

PS 120 in Flushing held a carnival for its students Thursday, but kids whose parents did not pay $10 were forced to sit in the auditorium while their classmates had a blast. Close to 900 kids went to the Queens schoolyard affair, with pre-K to fifth-grade classes taking turns, each spending 45 minutes outside.

The kids enjoyed inflatable slides, a bouncing room and a twirly teacup ride. They devoured popcorn and flavored ices. DJs blasted party tunes.

But more than 100 disappointed kids were herded into the darkened auditorium to just sit or watch an old Disney movie while aides supervised — the music, shouts and laughter outside still audible.

Unreal The principal is a complete Douche-bag. This carnival actually made profit. smh like they couldn't let the kids in for free. wtf!

Frank Chow, president of the parents association that sponsored the carnival, said Monroe insisted that kids whose parents didn’t pay could not partake. “She was saying it’s not fair to the parents who paid,” Chow said. “You can’t argue much, I guess.

The school is under her.” The carnival cost about $6,200, including fees to a carnival company, Send In the Clowns, and reaped a $2,000 to $3,000 profit, he added. “I wish we just charged parents the cost, not to make extra,” Chow said.

I think Frank Chow needs to grow a pair. What say you?

Some kids didn't understand what was going on, and why they were excluded.

The must-pay rule excluded some of the poorest kids at the elementary, where most parents are Chinese immigrant families crammed into apartments and “struggling to keep their heads above water,” staffers said. “It’s breaking my heart that there are kids inside,” one teacher said.

The teacher hugged a 7-year-old girl who was “crying hysterically.” “She was the only one from her class who couldn’t go, so she was very upset,” the teacher said. The girl told others, “My mom doesn’t care about me.” But the teacher said parents possibly did not see or understand the flier that went home or didn’t have $10 to spare.

“Are we being punished?” one child asked an aide in the auditorium as kids sat there with no movie playing, a staffer said. Principal Joan Monroe tacked up a list of the number of students per class: “How many attending, Paid,” and “How many not attending, Not paid.”

I'm sure plenty of people would have tossed in some money so these kids could have attended, if the administrators reached out. We all know how much these carnivals actually cost. (Rolls eyes)

And they had this on school time too.

Meet the Ass-hat that organized this sadistic event. Principal Joan Monroe

Send me a damn bill, I'll pay for as many as I can afford. wtf

I worked for a school system for a time and I think there may be more to the story than in this OP. I have seen children that did not pay for school fees and not all were poor. I have seen kids cry poverty and show up to school with $300 Air-Jordans gym shoes and $500 leather team jackets. I was surprised once to see my neighbor's child getting free lunches and he's not poor!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The world is overflowing with the terminally clueless. Just one more example I'm afraid. If it's made it to ATS the story is all over social media already. God help that sorry-ass Principal. Her career just ended.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19388053]buddah6 worked for a school system for a time and I think there may be more to the story than in this OP. I have seen children that did not pay for school fees and not all were poor. I have seen kids cry poverty and show up to school with $300 Air-Jordans gym shoes and $500 leather team jackets. I was surprised once to see my neighbor's child getting free lunches and he's not poor!

I'm sure that's true but it misses the point. Especially at that age it is highly destructive to a kids' psyche to exclude and stigmatize them in this way. Any educator should be capable of seeing the bigger picture.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6

I worked for a school system for a time and I think there may be more to the story than in this OP. I have seen children that did not pay for school fees and not all were poor. I have seen kids cry poverty and show up to school with $300 Air-Jordans gym shoes and $500 leather team jackets. I was surprised once to see my neighbor's child getting free lunches and he's not poor!

We've also seen multimillionaire politician's steal, cheat, lie flaunt there material possessions, and goods. There is without a reasonable doubt entitled leeches,on both ends of the spectrum, but that is not the topic here.

5 through 10 year old's typically aren't thinking about stealing, cheating, and undermining the system, most can't and typically don't even stand-up for themselves.

It's about the kids that can't afford things, and often fall through the cracks, because adult authority figures place sadistic agenda's over the little people.

edit on 27-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I bet maybe 1% of the excluded children's parents would use that $10 to buy flour or potatoes. Most likely that $10 dollars would be used to buy the newest Jordans, alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs.

I stopped reading your post when you mentioned tax payers footing the bill for kindergarten graduation or 5th grade graduation ceremonies. What a freaking joke.

Real. Truth.

edit on 27-5-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's not the kids! It Is the parents who put their children in these situations and the kids have to live with it. Like you said, the kids can't fend for themselves at that age.

I have seen them come to school without coats in the most bitter winter days. Not because they don't have one but because their parents won't get up in the morning. It's sad because these people are not poor just lazy. They all live in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wussification of america at its finest.

This is a capitalist nation, don't like it? Canada is right over the border. If you dont pay, you don't play.

All my elementary school carnivals had an entry charge, around 2$ but you had to buy tickets to play games or ride the rides, albeit they were held on weekends, not during the school day.

Carnivals aren't free, the school has to pay for food and drinks, they have to rent rides and other things, as well as pay someone to set it all up and to operate them. PTA funds only go so far, and a carnival isn't a necessity.

Getting real sick of the 'outraged-at-everything' squad.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
way to stigmatize the poor kids. good job.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8fl0z Getting real sick of the 'outraged-at-everything' squad.

getting real sick of the 'not outraged when they should be' squad.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It's very sad that those children were not able to attend the carnival. Yet I see a simple solution that prevents this type of thing from happening in the future. Don't have a carnival that kids need to pay for to attend. My school never had a carnival and to this day they still don't. I have nieces and nephews that attend the same schools I went to. What the schools do for kids up through 8th grade is have a field day. It's just a day where they have all kinds of games to play outside. There are relay races, different sports you can play, epic games of tag. All of these were done on school grounds or the nearby college would allow the use of the practice fields. Nobody was ever excluded. It didn't cost anything. But most importantly, it was so much fun!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

A great lesson in capitalism; why should they be prepared for a world that is no different?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

so SOME of the kids get a free ride when they could afford to pay....
that still leaves SOME that couldn't, doesn't it????

and, well, I wouldn't be surpised to find that the decision to have this thing was made by parents who probably could have paid 10 times as much without feeling much pain and just thought that a plain old field day of old just wasn't good enough for their kids!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join