It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unified Theory of Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Physicists have been working on a Unifying theory to mesh the observations of the macro-universe with the micro-universe ever since they realized that there were profound differences between the two. Even with those differences seeming irreconcilable.

At this point in major world religions, there are similarities. Jews, Muslims, and Christians all regard Abraham as the father of their respective peoples. The Jews and Muslims all honor the life of Jesus Christ, but only the Christians regard them as their saviour. The prophet Mohammed lived in recent history enough that we have record of his existence.

It seems to me that we're all fighting over the same God, but in religion, unlike science, no one has any interest in reconciling the religions.

Religion is completely backwards in this respect. We acknowledge the same deity, yet we fight against each other in his name. Could we get just a simple reprise from this madness, or what?

Didn't think so.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

It seems to me that we're all fighting over the same God, but in religion, unlike science, no one has any interest in reconciling the religions.

Actually there have been several attempts to do so. The most well known examples are Unitarianism, Universalism, and to a lesser extent, Baha'i and (at least according to some) Freemasonry.

Of course, the orthodox have always labeled all of the above as "heresies", and go on fighting among themselves.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Akbar (an emperor in Mughal times in India) did actually try meshing Christianity, Islams and Judaism. He called a conference of holy people from all these religions. They all fell about fighting and bickering over minor differences in their religions. The whole idea was blown to pieces when Akbar said that he wanted to be worshipped as the Prophet of God.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
The whole idea was blown to pieces when Akbar said that he wanted to be worshipped as the Prophet of God.

Yeah, that tends to piss people off more often than not. Especially when they build their indoctrinational dogma on those prophets who are easily heroised and lost in the obscurity in history enough to manipulate for their purposes.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Physicists have been working on a Unifying theory to mesh the observations of the macro-universe with the micro-universe ever since they realized that there were profound differences between the two. Even with those differences seeming irreconcilable.

At this point in major world religions, there are similarities. Jews, Muslims, and Christians all regard Abraham as the father of their respective peoples. The Jews and Muslims all honor the life of Jesus Christ, but only the Christians regard them as their saviour. The prophet Mohammed lived in recent history enough that we have record of his existence.

Religion is completely backwards in this respect. We acknowledge the same deity, yet we fight against each other in his name. Could we get just a simple reprise from this madness, or what?

Didn't think so.

I like the idea presented by this thread. It has always amazed me tha more have died in the name of God than just about any other reason.

Quoting that great American philosoper, Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Saladin is an interesting study. He retook Jerusalem from the franks, and insitututed universities, schools, medical clinics, etc.

It was the adminstration of Jerusalem that stands out. Under Saladins rule jews were allowed back into the holy city, as all religions were welcomed. Any and all could worship as they saw fit, as long as the beleifs of others were respected. If you broke this rule, you were beheaded.
This was a very peacefull period in the history of Jerusalem.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well is in the nature of human kind to fight and cause mayhem and been religion a touchy subject, why not doing it in the name of our god.

Even when we know that is only one and the same god in all religions. Right?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Predators make the rules; and working people live, die and suffer by them.

In the meantime, ETs ("God") tries to help the weak, a little bit here, a little bit there.

That's the way it makes sense to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I'm guessing you're not a religious person, or if you are you're Unitarian. Christianity and Islam directly contradict eachother in their Holy Books. This being the case, which group has to change their religion to get this dandy one world religion going? How do you justify to someone that they need to change their beliefs, that which they KNOW is the truth, because it would make it easier for government to control people? If a unified religion comes along, I know I won't be on that band wagon unless they accept my faith as the unified religion. Asking someone to abandon what they believe so they stop fighting is like asking a scientist to abandon the scientific method because it's not producing the predicted results they wanted. One religion is right, be it athiesm, Christianity, Humanism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. It's out job as humans to figure out which one.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
How silly that sounds.

Physical reality is not where Unity can possibly even occur.

Each person experiences unique experience, having unique gifts and weaknesses, operating out of unique DNA.

Why do thoughts need to be contained in theological generalizations, rather than experienced individually?

I think that's just the predators talking, who want to control everything including thoughts rattling around in peoples' skulls.

My meeting up with a talking "Burning Bush" in the wilderness [as Moses did] is not going to be the same experience as a whole nation like ours confronting "a burning Bush" claiming to be a prophetic leader.

Yet, politics is a form of religion, too, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I'm guessing you're not a religious person, or if you are you're Unitarian. Christianity and Islam directly contradict eachother in their Holy Books.

Odd, I was under the impression that the Koran claims to be from the same God as "the God of Abraham", which I am sure is what Jesus preached. I would not call that a contradiction

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Whereas the Source of the Hebrew Scriptures, the Koran and the Oahspe is not contradictory, the terms of the "Lease" that believers and followers adhere to, differ greatly.

It's as if the Prime Mover expects to write different Leases with different Occupants.

In that case--and for this reason alone--a unified set of beliefs and practices by the worldwide congregation of the Created is impossible, by definition.

If different populations consent to different sets of behaviors according to the same "God," then political entities pushing for a single Unified Ethic are merely pissing into the wind.

No way folks are going to give up their individualized and personalized Leases for some generalized "good."

If I met God on the street and He and I worked out a "deal," no way I would give THAT up to appease or please secular powers that be.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by defrag99
Whereas the Source of the Hebrew Scriptures, the Koran and the Oahspe is not contradictory, the terms of the "Lease" that believers and followers adhere to, differ greatly.

And this is what is stupid. Why would the same God give three different stories to three different people or peoples?

Answer: God wouldn't! And didn't!!!

Humans botched this one, as they eventually botch everything they touch, which, by the way, is stated in all three sets of dogma. From what I've read, these religions preach mainly purity and perfection, all inevitably judged by the Judge of judges, King of Kings, the Host with the most hosts.

Come on. I think it's a crock.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Why not?? -- if their DNA differs; their gifts and hardships??

Does everybody in any apartment building have the same Lease?

Of course not. The lessees in the Penthouse have a much costlier lease than those on the bottom floors.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by defrag99]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That mortal comparison is full of all the flaws of a mortal.

All throughout the religous texts, God is referred to as Judge, and the most ubiquitous adjective for Him is not omni-this or omni-that, but those terms related to His Justice.

What this means is that he rules by His law, allegedly. I will now make a mortal comparison based in law that serves to prove more definitely that the reasons for contention between Muslims, Jews, and Christians have nothing to do with God, but rather the indoctrination dogma that Church leaders have used over the ages to manipulate the minds and lives of people for their benefit and prosperity.

On the docket today in God's court are three people who broke the same of God's law. The law won't be mentioned, as it is arbitrary. They all broke the same law of God.

The first person is sentenced to Hell for his transgression. The second person is sentenced to Hell for his transgression. The third person is sentenced to Hell for his transgression.

See how that works? One God, one law, one judge, one sentence. ONE!

I don't think I need to go into any more detail on that point to make it. It is as simple as the number that supports the idea.

Now, to mortalize the situation, you could make the case that Martha Stewart was sentenced and served her term almost immediately, while Ken Lay, who did far more damage to far more people, still awaits trial. This is the way of the human. Just like your feeble little apartment building lease analogy, which supposes only the injustice and inequality of the law of man, its inherent flaws.

Moreover, there are many cheaters of the Qwest, Global Crossing, Tyco, WorldCom/MCI, Enron variety that will never see consequenses for their actions. And this is the rule of man. To those who have the money, the rules don't apply.

God cares not for money. He does not sign leases. He will drop your a$$ in the laundry chute straight to the basement whether you live in the penthouse or on the step outside the lobby. Ironically, to be dropped from the penthouse would certainly hurt more.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My, you portray your Heavenly Father as ruthless and heartless.

Methinks Hell must be a place of rehabilitation. I realize that runs counter to current Christian dogma, but where dogma and Mercy part company, I go with Mercy.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by defrag99
My, you portray your Heavenly Father as ruthless and heartless.

I don't portray my Heavenly Father as anything, actually, as I don't believe he exists. The Jews certainly portrayed him as an overlord, who had a zero-tolerance, up or out policy. Strangely, this is the same Heavenly Father that belongs to those who choose to believe that he is rife with compassion and mercy.

Such contradiciton. Contradiction to the point of a cancelling out of Himself, methinks.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What people say or think "about God" has absolutely no bearing on the characteristics of God.

Humans can infer, wish, dream, believe, conceive of etc. whatever they want to imagine. That doesn't affect whether God is here, there, or anywhere doing this, that or whatever.

Our thinking does not necessitate His Behavior in any way. Neither does our thinking prove or disprove anything about God's very existence.

"The Cause has to be SUFFICIENT to produce an effect," is a Law of Reality.

We cannot have individuality, humor, reason, focus or insight unless our ultimate Cause contains or comprises these characteristics also, ergo, He's a Person--as we who are "persons" can recognize another sentient soul.

All our experience and all our thoughts prove nothing, because God is not limited to this domain, frequency, set of dimensions, articulations or time-frame.

Have at wishing, if you want. Won't change anything.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

And this is what is stupid. Why would the same God give three different stories to three different people or peoples?

Answer: God wouldn't! And didn't!!!

Humans botched this one, as they eventually botch everything they touch, which, by the way, is stated in all three sets of dogma. From what I've read, these religions preach mainly purity and perfection, all inevitably judged by the Judge of judges, King of Kings, the Host with the most hosts.

Come on. I think it's a crock.

I am a Christian and I attend a Foursquare Gospel church. I attend this church because of the people I meet there. I have been to an awful lot of churches and the ones I liked the most are the ones where the people treated me like a part of the family.

I get my beliefs from what I read and study in the Bible. I also listen to sermons, almost constantly. A station that I like is CSN, Calvary Satelite Network. It plays mostly sermons from different Calvary Chapels around the country. I don't buy into what they are saying without study in my Bible. They have had some interesting views on things, some I believe and some I don't. It all hinges on - yep, my Bible.

I have said all of this for a single reason: I don't like religion. I think religion can be full of red tape. It can focus more on itself than others. It can distort the ideas that are presented clearly in the Bible for its own uses and profit. Religion has caused alot of damage. I go to church because it is important to surround oneself with believers.

What we have here are three different religions. Yes, they all start off the same, but along the way something happened and some of them got off course. Why? Because God designed us with free will, the ability to make our own decisions.

We do botch things, but the best part is that it can all come together. Jesus told us that God would send us a comforter after he had gone. That was/is the Holy Spirit. Part of the jo of the Holy Spirit is to guide those who truly seek after God. Sit down, pray from your heart and seek God. Don't seek the Muslim God or the Jewish God or the Christian God, just seek God. If you truly want to meet him, the Holy Spirit will guide you to where you need to be. I believe that it the Bible and Christianity.

God will judge us all with one law. It is up to us to decide which law we will follow. God will still judge us with one law, whether or not it was the one we were following

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
We are all members of one global society; trying to find commonality is much more virtous than searching for differences.

institutionalized faith only begates social order and indoctrination, and as much as you may beg to differ, the plight in which the world has become, speaks for itself.

Deep.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join