It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm finally going off antidepressants! Looking for advice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Day three- a little nausea, nothing I haven't experienced before in the morning when it's muggy and hot.

I felt pretty wired yesterday morning, and wound up with a headache.

So all in all not too bad. I didn't eat any potato chips yesterday at all. For me, this is significant. I love potato chips. Will look for healthier snack options. I really like grapes and raisins.

Again, thanks much for all the support and advice.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Keep it up, you are 3 days into the first week. In addiction recovery circles this is known as "hell week". Because it can be hard as hell to get through. I mention addiction recovery because stopping anything has it's parallels.

Your main aim at the minute is just to take one day at a time.

Get hell-week done and you're into "heck-week". It's like hell-week except, not as bad.

After heck-week, you've got 14 days under your belt.

Rinse and repeat - you're at day 28 - and 2 days later you hit the magic 30 days mark.

After 30 days, just keep doing what you're doing.

You've beaten all daily, and weekly triggers. All you have to worry about are seasonal triggers now. Christmas, Summer, New Year etc. Beat these and you're set.

Good luck and continue to post here.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Best of luck!

Just remember, if you find you truly need those pills, you can always go back on.
However, I know from my own experience with anti-depressants, that getting off of them is one of the most wonderful things one can do for themselves when they are no longer needed.

Congrats!
It is a big step in reclaiming yourself.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Thank you all again!

Hubby surprised me and took me out for dinner. I splurged and had some pizza. We talked about the movie he saw yesterday, San Andreas. He saw it in 3D.

So he's on the movie website posting a review. I'm on here, my second home and feel very content and peaceful.

I greatly appreciate all the support and advice. This has topped FB to become my favorite website.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Also consider getting Ashwaganda, its a great herb with thousands of years use as a nervine, adaptogen and anti-anxiety...could seriously aid you in coming off.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Thanks, I'll consider that. I've heard of that, but wasn't sure what it does.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Today is the last day of the depression meds. As of tomorrow, I'm done.

This week on the half dosage, nothing major, just minor things.

My hubby asked me to let him know how I'm feeling the next week.

I feel good about this. I'm eating better and exercising now.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

^^ Yeah ... distractions help when depression and/or medical issues are overwhelming.
If you can .. focus on a distraction just to get through the day.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I went cold turkey. Don't do that. It was a rough week or two. I got this weird thing I think people refer to as brain zaps. Felt like I was getting shocked from my heels up my legs and back to my skull whenever I moved too quickly. It sucked. That was really about it other than feeling a little bit weird in the head for awhile. Just felt sort of off like you do when you're sick.

Listen to your doc and your body, that's what's really important.

Are you sure you got brain zaps from stopping citalopram? Are you sure it was this antidepressant, not another one?

Because I didn't get anything at all when I stopped citalopram - and that was following my GP's orders. Here's how the conversation went:

Me - I'm feeling okay now, doctor. Can I have my dose reduced, please?
GP - Reduced? No need, just stop taking it.
Me - Are you sure?
GP - Yes, I'm sure.
Me - What about side effects?
GP - You should be fine. Just throw away the ones you've got.

She was spot on.

I DID however get the symptoms you describe on venlafaxine - an effective antidepressant but has brutal side effects. And that was when I was on it, not being weened off. I also had vivid nightmares. Took a good couple of months before the side effects got milder. If I forgot to take it I would get nausea, as though I had food poisoning. I was on a long reducing régime, which again was unpleasant. I had the brain zaps for many months after taking the last capsule; was beginning to resign myself to this being a permanent thing.

On the upside, it cured my depression for a few years.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Day two of being off the mess completely. I had a panic attack earlier. I've been getting those for years, so I don't feel it's too much out of the ordinary. I feel emotional this morning, and have been crying on and off.

I believe my brain is adjusting to the more raw emotions again. My hubby told me if I'm feeling crummy to call him. He's so sweet.

So I'm not too concerned, just making a note of my feelings today.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

That's the serotonin rebound. It's those receptors in your brain no longer being blocked and the chemicals cascading into places they've not been in quite awhile. It's normal and to be expected. From my experience I would caution that you are likely to feel flu like symptoms as well.

The key factor is the same as with panic attacks ( since you're having those I assume you've dealt with them before ). The only way to ride one out ( without meds ) is to focus upon the fact that it is a panic attack and that it will pass. The same concept applies here. This is a temporary hypersensitive state and it will level out and go away. In the meantime expect the emotional roller coaster and do NOT get discouraged if you feel better and then it hits again. That will happen and it's not a sign that there is no end. It's all just chemistry.

It's great that you've got a supportive person in your world. Do your best to find a balance there. I know that I tend to lock people out when I'm having a hard time - in my mind it's to insulate them from being bothered by my personal BS. And I can tell you, it's not the best way to go at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Thanks for the advice, Heff. Yeah, panic attacks are nothing new to me. I know this too shall pass.

I took a pain pill as I'm having some body aches. Nothing major, just kind of annoying.

Thankfully I haven't had anything really weird, like brain zaps. I'm monitoring these things with curiosity, not anxiety. Once my panic attack was done, I thought "okay, that is done, feeling much better".

I'm grateful that I'm able to come on here and talk about all this. So much wonderful advice and support.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It's been a trying day today. I'm glad it's Friday. Most of the day, I've been feeling really wired and edgy. My head feels odd, and I get a little dizzy, some bouts of vertigo.

I feel better now that I had lunch. Now I just feel fatugued. Nothing too bad though.

So I will relax this weekend and continue my walking. I walked three miles
yesterday and the day before.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I remember having similar feelings when I stopped taking them. You're just over a week in to this and that elasticity hasn't found its comfort zone just yet.

Was 'futugued' a typo? Lol. It should be a real word! Fugued and fatigued sums up so much of the recovery from depression that futugued deserves its place in our language. It comes closer to describing my own recent state of mind than anything else : )

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Oh, hahaha! Fat finger syndrome on the misspelling of fatigued. I'm surprised autocorrect didn't catch that. I like that new word though. It really is kind of an apt description.

I'm trying to process these things like the Star Trek Spock would. Fascinating!

I guess I'll see how things go and go with the flow.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I've never taken citalopram. I took Venlafaxine.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I'm glad it's not too rough. Keep us posted yeah?

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I feel a little better today. Some dizzy spells but nothing major.

Lots of sunshine today. The day feels full of promise. I saw a sleeping baby and admired how peaceful he looked.

It's those little things. Summer is a good time of the year to go off depression meds.

And the Brewers are winning for a change. Life is good.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Not such a good day today. I've been in bed most of the day after getting sick while grocery shopping.

One day at a time. Tomorrow will be better.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

It really will get better and quicker than you think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join