It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm finally going off antidepressants! Looking for advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Thank you all for your advice! Thank you to all who shared their stories.

When I went on Celexa, I was in a bad way. I feel much better and have been wanting to do this for awhile.

I started taking fish oil. I have been tweaking my diet, eating healthier. I am walking again.

Today is day one of half my dosage. I'm taking this one day at a time.

I really appreciate all your replies.

Please send prayers/happy thoughts.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
When I went off anti-depressants over 20 years ago one of the most important things I did was tell myself on a regular basis, "I am healthy. I do not need medicine." etc. Another thing I would recommend is vitamins- take the highest dose recommended- get lots of vitamin C and B. Other posters have already mentioned these things but I did want to reinforce their opinions with my own. Do as much positive self-talk as possible, but make it honest self-talk.

Sal

a reply to: ChiefD

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

My advice to you is firstly: Well done on taking this step. Being "chemically happy" works in the short run, but in the long run, you need to identify what makes you happy/unhappy and to either 1) remove the things that make you unhappy or 2) remove yourself from the things that make you unhappy. Or both.

If you've been on the pills for years, this is going to be hard, but the main thing is, is to stick at it.

Create new habits, you will effectively be changing your life (for the better) - so you need to get routines in place. Start simple, like getting up and going to bed at the exact same time each day and add to this.

Another piece of advice: This isn't going to be easy. You will have days when you are feeling low. But you need to understand that this is normal. Just get past it one day at a time. You may even be low, 2, 3 or 4 days in a row! But this is normal, you don't need chemical "rebalancing" -- you just need to work out what you can do to "feel normal" or "content".

Last piece of advice: Self improvement. You have taken on the first step to self improvement by giving up the pills. This is an amazing achievement. Now you need to continue with "self improvement"; if you remain entirely focused on "self improvement" -- for example, again, start small -- you eat a lot of chocolate? say to yourself, I will not eat any chocolate today. By the end of the day if you have been successful, you will feel great about yourself because you have accomplished something you set out to do. But again, start small... and then in a years time, you will be accomplishing things you never thought you could.

--Learn a new language
--Learn a programming language
--Bulk up like a meat-head with massive muscles
--Run a 5 minute mile
--Be an awesome parent

All those kind of things, things to keep you occupied.

And finally; I have found that if you can do something for 30 days. Initially it's hard to do for 30 days, but when you hit the 30 day mark -- you have positively re-enforced a new habit, and after that 30 days - IT'S EASY!

Good luck.

edit on 27-5-2015 by socketdude because: spelling

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
Aye....I get a mental slap if I miss a few doses, vision gets out of phase and things have a 'drag trail' effect if you can picture it???

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

You having a laugh?

--Learn a new language = I try speaking to teenagers and they look at me like Im a martian!
--Learn a programming language = despite years of trying Im unable to program, watches, videos, TV's...anything.
--Bulk up like a meat-head with massive muscles = my meathead IS my only massive muscle.
--Run a 5 minute mile = every time I have a new hospital appointment.
--Be an awesome parent = I AM an awesome parent, I just have the wrong kids thats all.

Good luck on the meds fella!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ClydeBuilt

lol!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Depends upon your unique body chemistry, the type of med prescribed, the dosage, and how long you took said meds.

But, in general, you can potentially expect a few days general aches and pains. You might sleep more ( or much less ) for awhile. Sometimes extreme behaviors can manifest as the brain chemistry readjusts ( This can be anywhere from going totally nuts to simply acting a bit more outgoing or introverted than before. ) and a host of other short term potential withdrawal symptoms. Some, often cardiac in nature, can require hospitalization.

But the most common event, and the one to watch for, is rebound depression. It's nearly universal in my experience and it can be extremely profound and deep. If it happens you simply have to force your way through it and realize that it's nothing more than your mind purging chemicals and readjusting and that it will pass.

Words from a guy who has gone on and back off of dozens of these meds over the years and has lived about every side and negative effect possible - including a couple that doctors, at the time, swore were impossible ( now they are widely accepted as common, guess the Prozac reps stopped leaving as many free samples behind over the years and doc's got a bit more honest ).

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I wish you the best of luck, Chief.
I had a hell of a time getting off paxil

linky

But I've been free for several months now and I've never felt better. Some people just jump right off the stuff without a hitch, I wasn't so lucky.
take the diet advice on here, it helps alot. and exercise. stay busy.
I will be rooting for you !

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thanks everyone.

I've been drinking herbal and green tea, along with water. I no longer drink soda. I've also made a decision to abstain from alcohol for the time being. I don't drink much, but I will cut it completely out of my diet.

Now I'm looking at ways to get up a little earlier in the morning so I can start my day with some breakfast. I usually skip that, but my doc reminded me it's the most important meal of the day,

You all are a wonderful support group.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ClydeBuilt

Yeah that's a good way of describing one of the symptoms I forgot about. Mostly went along with the zaps.

OP eat healthy, take vitamins, avoid alcohol and exercise and let yourself sleep if you need to. That's all pretty obvious but it really does work even if it's a pain in the ass.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Wow! There are some good replies in this thread and from members that surprise me.

I was on the seroxat years ago and took myself off them with no meaningful trouble at all. Show no fear, hold no doubts and keep yourself busy, distracted and focused on 'real' things.

Depression is a bitch though and we probably all agree with that. It never really goes away and Winston Churchill characterised the bastard as a 'black dog' that followed him through life. He self-medicated with alcohol and I reckon we all compensate by obsessing with one thing or another.

If we accept the obsessions, maybe we can choose the healthier ones? Running and exercise have worked for me, but the 'black dog' comes calling from time to time anyway and even sport stars get depressed. Other strategies were less successful lol. In psychological terms, I've 'externalised' the suicidal ideation and see it as an enemy. Thinking of loved ones and not 'letting it win' adds fuel to the fire that powers us through to the other side of it.

Sorry to waffle about me there! I guess what I'm trying to say is that depression will come and go whatever you do and that people have tried everything forever. It's important to somehow set aside a logical inner voice that can act as an alarm. It's the voice that holds more power than 'it' and tells the truth that periods of depression pass.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
Hi my fellow ATS'ers! I had a discussion with my new doctor today. He barely looks old enough to shave, but he seems well informed and actually brought up me going off the antidepressant meds I've been taking since 2011.

Per his advice, I'm taking half a dosage the next seven days, and then will be off them for good.

Now I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask for advice on what to expect, anything I should be aware of, etc.

I have read other threads on here with horror stories about going off antidepressants, and the stories scared the hell out of me! Nonetheless, I'm growing a pair, and want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm taking Celexa (generic name citalopram), 40 mg tablets, which I cut in half, so my current dosage is 20 mg.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about lowering the dosage. Worrying about it won't help anyway.
What you can exepct varies from person to person, it's very hard to predict. Basically, the effects of lowering the dosage of an antidepressant are the same as when you started taking the medication. But the most notable effect will probably be that you feel more in touch with your emotions.
Good to hear that you gonna quit; I'm not fond of antidepressants and I think mental problems are best treated when you confront them without being numbed by medication.

My disclaimer is that you should follow doctor's advice at any time. I work in the field of mental healthcare but I am not a doctor. Lower your dosage following advice from a professional only!

edit on 27-5-2015 by -Thom- because: (no reason given)

Also: www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-5-2015 by -Thom- because: crappy English, missing links, aliens

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So far so good. I feel fine, nothing weird going on. It's only day one, so will see how it goes.

I usually take 10 mg of melatonin to help me sleep. It works well. I never slept the same since my hysterectomy eight years ago.

I've been drinking water and eating healthy and light all day. I'm currently sitting outside on my deck, beautiful day with lots of sunshine. I'm already getting freckles on my hands. I walked yesterday and will again tomorrow. I have laundry today.

Thanks for sharing your stories with me. I greatly appreciate it.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hey chiefD
Its great to hear you're having this change,
Sadly I can't give you any advice on the effects of getting off this medication because I haven't gone through it my self.
But the best advice I could give you, like I'm sure many others have is to keep your mind and body as active as possible! I think this would be a perfect opportunity for you to try new things, explore what the world has to offer. Whether it's eating more healthy taking up boxing or a martial arts for fitness purposes, learning new trades and skills or what ever it is you wish to try. Just don't get frustrated with new things starting from zero always takes time and effort but it sure does pay off in the long run.

Good luck to you!
edit on 27-5-2015 by justneo because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Definitely avoid the alcohol! Alcohol, along with being a depressant, also alters brain chemistry - and that's already happening as you ween away from the antidepressants. It's best to take baby steps with ones brain chemistry.

Making sure you are eating right is also a great thing and I am glad you're doing so. I forgot to mention it. In the past coming off of these meds has both caused me to binge eat, on some variants - or to lose all appetite with others.

Going through that process several times made me a believer in taking a good multivitamin every day - as it seems to help with the entire situation overall and particularly with withdrawals and adjusting to new meds.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Sounds like you're off to a great start Chief!

You can use this thread too if you are ever feeling down. Just click "reply" and start writing down all your feelings, write down what ever is on your mind, get it all down on paper -- what was it you were doing at the time? What time of day? What were you thinking about at the time? Get it all down on paper.

Then by the time you've finished, you'll probably feel a lot better and also, come to understand your "triggers" better.

And also, us ATSers will be able to offer up some words of advice at a vulnerable time for you.

Use this thread.

EDIT TO ADD: Your personal account will help others too.

edit on 28-5-2015 by socketdude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hi OP.
Well you are in the right place for advice I'll tell you that.
Some great members here who have walked the walk and freely give advice and help to others.

My own personal experience has taught me that all the anti depressants you need can be found in your grocery store. And their efficacy is increased by walking there to get them!

Foods that are fresh and as free of any chemical interference combined with simple exercise will work wonders. It did for me. Don't be afraid to take an odd nap either!
Knock the alcohol and eat fresh vegetables and lots of them and your body will reboot and upgrade in all sorts of ways.

I recently had some financial hiccups which led me to eat cheap processed foods for a week or so and I was stunned (in retrospect) just how my mood and personality altered (and not for the better) The foods we eat are hugely influential in how our brains and our bodies function.
GIGO That's just my two cents.

I wish you all the best.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thank you all!

Feeling good this morning. Eating a banana for breakfast.

I take a good multivitamin every day. Like some you said, it does make a difference. Drinking lots of water, no soda.

I will walk tonight after I get home from work. I slept pretty good last night.

So steady as she goes here. I appreciate all the advice and support.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Not entirely...30 billion is good, but its not the CFU thats supported in the research, it is actually ratios of fermicudes:bactroides and particular strains that were found do get the neurotransmitters firing. The newest research wont have products attached to it in the market place until the last week of June of this year.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and people take prozac to make it normal.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join