It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm finally going off antidepressants! Looking for advice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hi my fellow ATS'ers! I had a discussion with my new doctor today. He barely looks old enough to shave, but he seems well informed and actually brought up me going off the antidepressant meds I've been taking since 2011.

Per his advice, I'm taking half a dosage the next seven days, and then will be off them for good.

Now I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask for advice on what to expect, anything I should be aware of, etc.

I have read other threads on here with horror stories about going off antidepressants, and the stories scared the hell out of me! Nonetheless, I'm growing a pair, and want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm taking Celexa (generic name citalopram), 40 mg tablets, which I cut in half, so my current dosage is 20 mg.

Thanks!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Look up Dr. Perlmutter's work on the microbiome and serotonin and other neurotransmitters. ..I dont want to break the law here...but you will be amazed by amazing probiotic bacteria. ..neurotransmitters are regulated by your gut bacteria friend.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Thanks, will check that out. I take a probiotic with 30 billion cultures daily. That should help.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I have taken antidepressants and never will again. I take 2-3 times the recommended dose of B-12 vitamin and on a cloudy day take vitamin D you know the sunshine vitamin, on a sunny day there is no need to take the D vitamin, you get enough from the sun. You need B-12 to metabolize D vitamin. I also take fish oil three times the recommended dose, ( recommended by a DR ) also vitamin C twice to 3 times the dose in the winter and a single in the warm months.

I have learned that this combination of vitamins gives me better results than any antidepressant I have been on, fresh fruit and vegetables raw and preferably fresh picked are best. Fruit smoothies with some vegetables does wonders, exercise also works real good. I have never been more happy than I am right now, I hope this helps. Any questions just PM me.

( DISCLAIMER )
I am no doctor what you do is of your own free will, I am not responsible for what you do

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Hi. I'm currently stuck in the cycle of pain killers and antidepressants for chronic pain. I was instructed by my doctor to come off my antidepressants and I thought it seemed quite a fast step down in dosage. Well I was right as it felt like my whole body was shutting down. I could barely lift my head and was ill for around 6 days before having to start them again due to having a test coming up and having to take care of my kids. The problem with my experience was I was told to make a quick withdraw instead of taking my time over a few weeks.

One thing I would definitely recommend is to have some whole food multi vitamins and drink plenty of water. The organic whole food vitamins will detox your body and give you that bit of energy along with some of your required vitamins and minerals.

I genuinely wish you all the best on what can be a big step coming off anti depressants. Just try to remember that if you are struggling at any time contact family or friends to talk through things. If your stuck pm me and I can try to help any way I can. I don't have massive experience but I do know what it's like to experience depression both as the carer and the one suffering.

Take care.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

You confronting this and making a thread about it is a good start. If you weren't serious about it you would've started this thread talking about " a friend of yours".

That's a step in the right direction.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thank you all! Wonderful responses. I will take what you all said to heart.

I am bound and determined to make this work. My husband will also be closely watching me. I have a wonderful support network of friends and family.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Look up Dr. Perlmutter's work on the microbiome and serotonin and other neurotransmitters. ..I dont want to break the law here...but you will be amazed by amazing probiotic bacteria. ..neurotransmitters are regulated by your gut bacteria friend.

I concur. Dr. Perlmutter's work is excellent.

Also look into an 'energy healing' modality such as Tapas Accupressure:

www.tatlife.com...

Excerise (Perlmutter and others) will be important - nothing too strenuous.

And I'm partial to Formal Meditation.

It can be a tricky and long detox. Have patience and care for yourself.

Don't self medicate!

Best Wishes.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: enament
Amen to that! Check with your doctor about getting your vitamin D levels checked. I take Vitamin D daily, rain or shine, and it's been wonderful.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I was on the same one as you. When my doctor and I agreed to stop taking them, I was told to go half for twonweeks, then a quarter every other day for two weeks. During the second week, I felt like I was having a heart attack. To the ER I went, tests, stress test, all turned out fine. They determine it was a withdrawal symptom. Others had the same type of symptoms and thought heart. But it's just withdrawal from the Celexa. Not everyone gets it, but there has been a few cases.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You shouldn't need to be weened off citalopram, I wasn't. Same dose, 40mg a day; I just stopped taking it. No discontinuation effects, no side effects when I started taking it neither. Kicked in after about 3 days and did the business. Great drug. No complaints from me, and I mean NONE.

I don't understand why you've been on it 4 years - are you still depressed? If not, why continue taking it?

No one need be on an AD for longer than about 6 months; if you're still depressed after that time, see the doc about getting it changed for another one. But if there are no depressive symptoms after 6 months, I don't get why anyone would feel the need to keep taking it. Habit?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You could either increase your consumption of aged foods or increase MAOI inhibitor foods.

Yogurt, Smoked fish, pickles, booze, and many other foods are aged foods. You could also put mustard on a sandwich, it has turmeric in it which inhibits the breakdown of monoamine oxidase, the enzyme that breaks down the monoamines.

Coffee even has some antidepressant properties but also contains caffeine. Potatoes are settling foods also. Cabbage is very settling and so is asparagus. Too much aged food is not good either so try to cycle in different types of tolerable chemistry that has settling effects.

Also certain oils, including coconut oil and fish oils have properties that may help you.
edit on 26-5-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I went cold turkey. Don't do that. It was a rough week or two. I got this weird thing I think people refer to as brain zaps. Felt like I was getting shocked from my heels up my legs and back to my skull whenever I moved too quickly. It sucked. That was really about it other than feeling a little bit weird in the head for awhile. Just felt sort of off like you do when you're sick.

Listen to your doc and your body, that's what's really important.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I don't have personal experience, but I have had friends who did. Be careful, and have someone that knows you well keep an eye on you for a few weeks. Just to look for issues, if there are any. Any weird feelings, assume it's your system adjusting, and talk to someone! From what I have heard from the friends, that stuff can cause problems while on it, and withdrawal can cause more. So, be aware. You seem to know already that there could be some issues, which is good. Hang in there!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I realize there are many negatives to the anti-depressants, however, I would probably be dead without them. I had been suicidal since my teen age years and frankly I don't feel like that on the SSRIs. If you have never had major depression issues you probably can't understand the value of these drugs.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I came down from 40mg to 30mg of citalopram a few months ago and hardly noticed the change. I imagine you'll be fine, but if your not just go back to the dr. That's my advice. It's good to come off these things, but don't rush it and follow your Drs advice. Like metallicus. said . I would also be dead without them or definitely in a much worse position I'm in now. They helped me get through a really difficult period in my life and I don't regret it for a minute, especially after the state I was in when I was given them. They can be a life saver
edit on 27-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I was on 50mg of zoloft for years, sometimes up to 75mg, that was considered a low dose. If I accidentally missed it, I turned in to a raving paranoid lunatic by mid afternoon. After 6 years on it I felt that I didn't need it anymore, so I cut it to half a tabled (25mg) for 6 months. I got along fine at that, then I went to a third of a tablet for 2 months, then a 1/4 for a month and then off it. I was a bit more edgy and reactive for about 3 months after that, but am doing fine now. It didn't have any noticeable side effects I noticed when I was on it, maybe decrease in libido, so I cant say I am really happy I am off them, but nice not be dependent on anything and to save money. So I am saying take your time, dont be in a rush to get off it, and if you feel a bit down for a while after decreasing, dont run straight back to them, see how you go for a month.
edit on 27/5/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

(post by BentBone removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I don't know what your lifestyle is but whilst coming off - don't sit and fester. Keep active, exercise/walk, eat healthily, fatty foods and natural vegetables are good for you.

Hope it works out - sounds like it will

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join