It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone believe in nothing?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well I guess you're right dnero6911

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
What is greater than God?

More evil than the Devil?

Poor people have it,

Rich people need it,

and if you eat it you will die?

Not much to believe in, I'd say.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The question "Can someone believe in nothing?" is not a good way to start the discussion, because it is a closed question... A more appropriate question would have been, "What is your opinion on beleiving in nothing..."

Because everyone would have a different take on what it is "nothing" is... There is no yes or no answer, people believe what they believe... The whole point of religion is to broaden your understanding...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
And think it's a perfectly valid thread.

Originally posted by bet555
What is believing ?

The thought that something exists without direct proof.

Where does it start?

When something happens once and you realize it could happen again. Or, when you discover something occurs without you.

What part of your body do you use to believe ?

Hopefully your brain. A lot of people say heart, but I believe this is a figurative term meaning emotion.

If you cannot decide which your heart, mind, or leg. Then how do you determine whether or not some people can believe or not. B/c if we can't determine where believe comes from. How can we determine whether or not we believe.

Do you believe in the wind?

Yes.

Even if you do not believe in the wind, you will feel the effects of the wind.

I think this is a primary concept of being Christian. Many think believing in God is a 'proof-less' endevour, however I see the effects constantly.

If you believe that if you set yourself on Fire you will not burn you will not burn right?

That's not for me to decide. Reality has a way of overcoming belief sometimes.

Then what about Jesus and the Shadderak, Mishek, and Abindigo. Why didn't they burn ?

Huh? I think if you want a specific example, maybe the book of Daniel talks more to the point. Daniel and his crew were thrown into a fiery furnace yet they did not burn because they prayed they would not so the ruling king may believe. The king did believe Daniel had a special connection with his God an gave him a position of power in his government (although Daniel tried to decline).

[edit on 17-3-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I wrote an essay on the the concept of reality, that I think fits into this discussion perectly...

Revolutionary Potential

[...]

Realising that nothing has an "absolute value", nothing has "absolute meaning" and everything simply is, is the most logical thing a human mind is capable of understanding. By giving objects names, we are limiting ourselves to one interpretation of reality...

[...]

Revolutionary Potential

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I wrote an essay on the the concept of reality, that I think fits into this discussion perectly...

Revolutionary Potential

[...]

Realising that nothing has an "absolute value", nothing has "absolute meaning" and everything simply is, is the most logical thing a human mind is capable of understanding. By giving objects names, we are limiting ourselves to one interpretation of reality...

[...]

Revolutionary Potential

You are quite right..

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Language is the mirror through which we see life...

What would life be like without a verbal language, or atleast a language with no nouns...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't do that, plus their are just so much weird things in the world, you have to believe in something to cause it. Even if it's energy.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
this is an interesting discussion...can you believe in nothing..thats like saying that there is nothing..or what we know we cant believe because its not true...sorry to sound stupid..but like the matrix..what we believe is just neurons firing in the brain...but we have to believe in something or there would be nothing...and im sure this is something..

toms law..nothing can not produce something [thanks lilblam]...to believe nothing would mean nothing...so i dont know where to go from that

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo_believer
Sure you can! It's easy to be believe in nothing. It's just like this...

HAHAHA ... HAHAHA I am sorry ... I was very intereested in this post and all of the suddent months LATER !!!!!! I come back and read this .. Excelent post everyone even the person who said he hates the post ... It is very interesting ... With you mess with someones Idealology it is not suppose to be an easy confrontation. =-) .. It wouldn't be a good confrontation if you could explain why my beliefs are wrong .... But i don't really have any beliefs that I am going to stick with forever I am very very very Open ..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join