It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kirk Bloodsworth: The First Man Exonerated From Death Row By DNA Evidence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This man was sent to death row for murder -- for a crime he never committed. Now he’s committed to abolishing the death penalty for good. Ex-marine Kirk Bloodsworth is the first man to be exonerated from death row by DNA evidence. He joins me for an illuminating conversation about what life was like behind bars as an innocent man...and how he fought to get out. As Kirk says, if it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone.

Think we should abolish the death penalty? Let me know your thoughts.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Incredible! Much thanks to the lawyers and everyone who made this happen.

Can you imagine being innocent and being locked down 23 hours a day on death row, waiting to be executed for a crime you didn't commit? I wonder if I would lose my mind. Not sure, to be honest.

Hopefully we see many, many more of these people released. Too many innocent humans thrown into a dark hole by those meant to protect them.

To answer your question posted below the video, yes and no. I believe there's much more to be done than just to abolish the death penalty. It would be a step forward, but a small step in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion, a life sentence is just as inhumane if not more inhumane than a death sentence. We need a full over haul of the prison system.
edit on 26-5-2015 by OhOkYeah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

The question is an odd one. On one hand, I have no problem putting a truly evil, murderous, torturous, rapist individual to death. On the other hand, our current law system is so incredibly flawed that we are putting innocent people to jail every year, and in some cases even putting those innocent people to death.

Not to mention the cost per inmate who is on death penalty, versus one who is simply imprisoned for life is just crazy. I believe the estimated cost is somewhere between $3 million - $1.9 million more to carry out a death penalty sentence than a non death penalty sentence

EDIT: After further review of the video - which was very well done by the way, thanks for all that were involved - I can say that I was completely unaware just how many people were exonerated from the death penalty over the years. 152!!!! That's just insane! And that's just the ones that were exonerated, imagine what the number of innocent people who were wrongly executed is.

I think it's pretty clear that our current system is just not ready to be sentencing such extreme penalties with it's current level of accuracy.

It kind of makes me feel glad that I live in a country that has done away with the death penalty (Canada). Even if a person were to commit a heinous crime in another county, they are still not allowed to be executed if they are a Canadian citizen.
edit on 26/5/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was a strong supporter of the death penalty. Believe it or not a crooked dirty politician change my stance on that. When the findings from Illinois came out and George Ryan's later clemency. I was convinced the death penalty was a bad thing because to many innocent people are dying.

Gov. George Ryan of Illinois won praise locally and worldwide when he announced earlier this year that he would impose a state moratorium on executions, pending a study of why the state's death penalty system has gone so horribly wrong.

He acted after the balance had swung to judicial findings of innocence for 13 Illinois death sentenced inmates, one more than the number of people actually executed in the state since capital punishment resumed.

source

edit on 26-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Up until recently, I was someone for the death penalty and I would have been happy to see it brought back to Canada.

Then I watched some documentaries about innocent people on death row and how even in some cases where exonerating evidence was found, it did not matter that the person was factually innocent because they were found legally guilty. It was a concept that boggled my mind, that there was a difference between factual guilt and legal guilt.

Especially with DNA evidence now. I assumed that once it was discovered that DNA samples did not match, people would be allowed to go free but that is almost never the case. It changed my mind instantly.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I disagree with death penalty for anything short of a Disney style villain. I agree with the death sentence to satisfy my thirst for blood and vengence that ultimately serves nothing more than vindication to my outrage.
That in itself is not a valid reason for killing someone. I tend to chill out after awhile
and tbh, a life in prison without parole isn't some reward..it is someone basically stuck for a lifetime without any brighter prospects, reflecting on what they did and knowing nothing can change.

So, it is actually more fitting a punishment for a life without parole sentence if I am truely considering a way to make someone suffer.

Death sentence killing a innocent even once should have been enough to do away with it forever. Mistakes can happen, which is why such a permanent sentence in our flawed system simply should be abolished. My desire for vengeance stops at the potential to kill a innocent.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
Up until recently, I was someone for the death penalty and I would have been happy to see it brought back to Canada.

Then I watched some documentaries about innocent people on death row and how even in some cases where exonerating evidence was found, it did not matter that the person was factually innocent because they were found legally guilty. It was a concept that boggled my mind, that there was a difference between factual guilt and legal guilt.

Especially with DNA evidence now. I assumed that once it was discovered that DNA samples did not match, people would be allowed to go free but that is almost never the case. It changed my mind instantly.

situations like that are actually when governor makes a call. If the court is in some screwy red tape bind to execute a innocent person, there are measures to override.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That's a tough question, but I must say that I agree with the death penalty.for instance;Tim McVey (spelling) and others that commit similar crimes having children involved, I believe he deserved the dp. However there may be a conspiracy involved with the APM bombing, I think Mcvay was one of the ring leaders in that crime.
Great work JV S/F
edit on th0513kAmerica/Chicagoth by SmikeS because: sorry; APM should be OKC . its very sad , APM had a Daycare in the building.

edit on th0518kAmerica/Chicagoth by SmikeS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

I'm Dutch. We don't have the death penalty. If we had, I would fiercely oppose it.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Unless it is an election year and the Governor doesn't want to look soft on crime. There was a man on death row put there by an eyewitness report of his ex-wife and she recanted her testimony, basically confessing that she did it to him out of anger, and Rick Perry would not stay his execution.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Oh come on, do I reaaly have to be the first to call this out? Bloodsworth ....bloods worth. I guess his bloods worth is his freedom.

...good 'ol shoe

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: SaturnFX

Unless it is an election year and the Governor doesn't want to look soft on crime. There was a man on death row put there by an eyewitness report of his ex-wife and she recanted her testimony, basically confessing that she did it to him out of anger, and Rick Perry would not stay his execution.

Well Rick Perry is a different case, he rubs me as the kinda guy who enjoys a good lynching, regardless of guilt.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
But I don't like the idea either of people who commit murder that only have to do 10 or 15 years and get paroled for it. Take the case of Charles Manson. He was eligible for parole in 7 years. Come on! Five, six people are dead? And he's eligible for parole in 7 years? You have to have a harsh punishment for murder- but murder, in my opinion, should not mean more murder.

originally posted by: OhOkYeah
Incredible! Much thanks to the lawyers and everyone who made this happen.

Can you imagine being innocent and being locked down 23 hours a day on death row, waiting to be executed for a crime you didn't commit? I wonder if I would lose my mind. Not sure, to be honest.

Hopefully we see many, many more of these people released. Too many innocent humans thrown into a dark hole by those meant to protect them.

To answer your question posted below the video, yes and no. I believe there's much more to be done than just to abolish the death penalty. It would be a step forward, but a small step in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion, a life sentence is just as inhumane if not more inhumane than a death sentence. We need a full over haul of the prison system.

top topics

join