It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I saw one on the Osage reservation in Oklahoma in 2001. Not sure if it's still there.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Who remembers full service gas stations? I haven't seen one in years.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I saw one on the Osage reservation in Oklahoma in 2001. Not sure if it's still there.
according to wiki they still operate 2600 stations in the west.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Wonder if they still put nickel in their gas instead of lead?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Who remembers full service gas stations? I haven't seen one in years.

If you're in the United States, go to New Jersey or Oregon.
Both of those states have laws against self-serve gas.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
How many of you Americans remember this place?

I remember it being good. My grandparents even had toys from their kids meals for us to play with when we came over. I read somewhere that they closed because of Mcdonalds ripping off the kids meals with the happy meal. They tried to sue but legal battles made them go under.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

How many of you Americans remember this place?

I remember it being good. My grandparents even had toys from their kids meals for us to play with when we came over. I read somewhere that they closed because of Mcdonalds ripping off the kids meals with the happy meal. They tried to sue but legal battles made them go under.

Then, too, they did a lot of really stupid things. I think the last thing I remember is that they made the salad bar free with ANY purchase. Which led me and the old lady (during our salad days..heh) to go buy a coke and a bottom end cheeseburger, then turn it into a mini Big Shef by stuffing it full of greenery at the now-free salad bar. Then we'd eat a huge salad and clean out the eggs and ham chunks and whatnot. All for a couple of bucks each. It was at least balanced.

It's sort of sad to be looking forward to cleaning out the BC for dinner but you do what you can when you're broke.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I remember requesting Burger Chef repeatedly on a road trip from Rhode Island to Pennsylvania when I was 4 years old. My parents got sick of hearing me ask for it, but they did not find a Burger Chef. They stopped at another burger joint . I ate it, but I wasn't pleased.
I read that Burger Chef invented the salad bar and the toy with a kids meal, but he story said that their demise was caused because they expanded the number of restaurants too quickly.
edit on b000000302015-06-11T21:03:27-05:0009America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jun 2015 21:03:27 -0500900000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
I remember when my dad came home from work one day with a Commodore 64 Vic 20. No one else gave a crap, but my brother and I, we were in our element. We programmed so many games into that thing. We spent weeks programming it, now all of a sudden everyone wanted to play it. LOL

W were just as thrilled when our dad got us a ping pong table for the basement too. If we weren't on the Commodore, were playing ping pong kicking each other's butts. LOL

Ah the nostalgia... Those were the best years ever! I used to have a Commodore Vic20 (it was a hand-me-down, since my older brother got the ultimate machine, the commodore 64 with a COLOR monitor!!)

Anyway, when the movie "Weird Science" came out, my friends and I were convinced we could program that thing to produce a steamy hot lady...Of course we never did figure out a way to get the job done...What a riot.

Great thread.

ETA- The busy signal still exists! I get it often still when trying to contact my mother. (Land line)
edit on 11-6-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Has anyone else mentioned "Choose your own adventure" books? Yes BOOKS! Those were just as entertaining as the video games that existed in those days.....

(sorry if it's been mentioned, only on page 6)
edit on 11-6-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I heard that about the salad bar, too. I'm sure that expanding too quickly helped to close them down. The legal battles with McDonald's didn't help things. Also, I guess that Imasco (a Canadian company that owned Hardees) bought them. Those that didn't get converted to Hardees closed.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Having the salad bar free was a mistake. I guess they did it because they thought it would help with the competition.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I loved those books. They actually got me into reading. Do they even make those anymore? I don't know the last time I saw one.

ETA: I just look on Amazon and they have them! He re
edit on 12-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join