It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: neformore

DOS!!!

I remember my old boss taking a call from his wife when she was having a problem with their home computer and him shouting "No! Do NOT format c!"

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet
A few years ago, I found myself downtown without a cell phone and needing to make a call. It was then that I realized pay phones are essentially a thing of the past. I can't find a clip of it... but there was an episode of Phineas and Ferb where their father describes the pay phone as a little room you can go into to have a private telephone conversation. The response from one of their friends was "You guys are blowin' my mind!"

I'm sure most of the stuff that has been "lost in the mists of time" just slipped away without us noticing, though. Much like 8-tracks gave way to cassette tapes, which then gave way to cd's and now have given way to no-physical-media. The awesome things from our childhood are being replaced with things that may be equally awesome... but are also portable.

Policeman used to use phones to communicate much like people later used telephone booths. They'd be located on select streets.

There's something most people probably have forgotten. These were more than just telephone booths. They were also used during meal breaks and sometimes to fill reports or temporarily hold suspects.

Here:
www.policeboxes.com - A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE POLICE BOX...

If you stop almost anyone in the street and ask them what a police box is, chances are that they'll think of the TARDIS from the BBC television programme Doctor Who. But how many could actually tell you what the original police boxes were and what they were for?

The history of the police box starts in America. The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, and was soon adopted by the police as a communications device. Police call boxes soon appeared in the streets, but were primarily for the use of police officers to keep in contact with the police station. These boxes were literally that - a box containing a telephone mounted on a post, and were used mainly as communications points. In 1881, the Police Patrol and Signal Service in Chicago installed special booths with direct phone lines to police stations. These booths were similar to sentry boxes in style, and keys were issued to police officers and local residents.

edit on 26-5-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: ScientificRailgun
AOL chat rooms...and the scripts you could get to flood the rooms.

I remember before real-time chat. You'd type your message and hit "submit" and then have to read the page after it refreshed.

Fun fact.

I was a host on the Parascope chat channel on AOL and I was the first UK resident ever to complete the AOL US empowered host training. I had to sit four courses over night and take 3 online exams to do it. I had a direct link to AOL's account department and could get people removed from the service completely.

When they franchised to AOL UK the service split and they took my host status off me.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I remember Kazza, but a lot of people I knew used Songspy. I remember before Napster people traded music files via IRC (I think they still do).

I can still remember burning some of my first CDs at a friends house. We were super excited that you could MAKE your own CD! It took like 30 minutes at 4x to burn, but holy cow you could have a custom CD with the songs YOU chose!

AOL chat rooms...and the scripts you could get to flood the rooms.

I remember before real-time chat. You'd type your message and hit "submit" and then have to read the page after it refreshed.
Yeah IRC is one of those technologies that has really stood the test of time. People still use it to this day, and though the overall numbers have declined, you'll still find plenty of servers to connect to, and things to talk about and/or download. Just make sure your hostmask is enabled!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yeah, chat rooms.
Go.com and Yahoo, My friends were astounded that I could hook up with women over the internet.(15yrs or so ago).
Now it's the done thing.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I remember those AOL CDs...they were everywhere. Buy a McDonalds meal? Get an AOL CD. Grocery store? Get an AOL CD. Every magazine you bought had an AOL CD.

When we launched AOL 4.0 in 1998, AOL used ALL of the world-wide CD production for several weeks. Think of that. Not a single music CD or Microsoft CD was produced during those weeks. I still remember hand delivering the Golden Master to Lisa in Marketing.

When people complained about receiving AOL CDs even though they already had an AOL account, Steve Case would ask, "don't you have a friend you could give it to?"

Source

That's just insane!

Anyone remember these though?

Laserdisc!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

Ah yes. The phrase "Lets go private" will pass into twilight and a generation will never know what it meant.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I think I still have a few old laser discs sitting in a box somewhere. Nice one!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I want to get a laser disc player...the problem is figuring out a way to hook it up to the new TVs these days...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

I want to get a laser disc player...the problem is figuring out a way to hook it up to the new TVs these days...

I believe this will work for you.....

www.monoprice.com... dium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763

I seem to recall all the Laser Disc players were S-video.....so that would convert it to HDMI output.
edit on 5/26/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

Do you know if people still do "m40uk" or "f37england" on chat rooms? Been a long time since I've haunted such places.May go for a lurk somewhere now I've thought of it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

A/S/L?.. LOL
Used to love go.com because you could use animated gif's as your profile image.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
how about the days when your stereo and speakers were like a pieces of furniture, that you could add things to.

see the big a@@ cd player at the bottom.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

A/S/L?

Hah! Oh man, the memories. Of course when I was youngin it was always 25/m/New Mexico.

If anyone discovered you were a young girl on the internet, things got weird FAST.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
And who could forget this internet gem...

edit on 26-5-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Well the golden egg was finding the opposite sex with a webcam, especially back in the day.

You could see if they were a dodgy trucker before you arranged a meet.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Do you youngsters...

... or this?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: Anyafaj

Going offline. Now that's a totally modern phrase. I remember when the thirteen channels we got (13 not even...some numbers didn't have a network at all) went off at night but not before playing the star spangled banner first. What patriots we used to be.

Were you like me? I was a military brat. It was practically ingrained in us to put your hand over your heart when you heard it play. If you were walking on base and heard taps you had to stop. And you had to wait till taps was over before you could start walking again. Yeah, seriously ingrained.

"Retreat" LOL - I hadn't thought of that in years. When we heard the cannon and retreat it was time to get home.

link   
So... we're OLD... mostly, heh.

I came from a family of older parents who were from the WWII generation... so I have some anachronisms in my past (as well as weird pop songs from the swing era)... but my first love... sigh...

I remember my first post Pong computer game... my bro was a programmer at Bell Labs in the 70's and he whipped up a text rich Star Trek computer game ... where one could encounter any of three alien races, 10 or so Star systems and then shoot photon torpedoes OR phasers at them... heh... nerdy friends and I thought it was incredible!

And the rest of my life was spent looking at screens with 0's and 1's in greater complexity... heh...

As a bit of an aside... is it strange that we are finding the same digital coding at the edges of our reality? I just wonder what came first, our recognition of coding as a building block of everything, or did reality conform to our expectations?

link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot

A/S/L?.. LOL
Used to love go.com because you could use animated gif's as your profile image.
I haven't been on any chat sites for years, so did a quick search and just clicked on a "chat with a stranger site" which resulted in this:

It seems "asl" has lasted the test of time.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join