It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Oh I loved the hardy boys too. I learned the word spelunking from them.

Look it up I'll wait. Lol
edit on 5262015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Oh I loved the hardy boys too. I learned the word spelunking from them.

Look it up I'll wait. Lol

HA! I am quite familiar with the term and may have even learned it from Hardy Boys as well. I used to do a LOT of spelunking in my high school days around North Georgia.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Oh brave boy. Not me. I've only been in caves I had to pay to enter and had lights and walkways and a tour guide.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnyafajI just recently had a stray cat that didn't purr, she made Tribble noises. Cutest thing ever. I would imitate her to make her come to me. Eventually she took off. I loved that cat. She thought she was a dog. She played fetch, dug holes, chased cars. Best cat I ever owned.

My cat makes that noise all the time. Makes me want to punch her (because it wakes up sleeping babies and adults)...but I don't.

Yet.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Some more....

Windows 3.1/95/ME/97

And soon, everyone will have forgotten the days that AOL and Alta Vista ran the roost.

9600k modems

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Alta Vista? Man that brings back memories.

Lycos, I remember seeing ads for Lycos featuring a dog or something. Of course, you can't forget Hotbot, or AskJeeves.

There was this old chat site I used to frequent called CoolChat.com, it allowed HTML code to be entered into the chat messages so we all had fancy fonts, signatures with images, quotes, every post was like a little web page. The memories!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Almost forgot about this little beauty from the recent past:

The humble pager.

Honestly, the only people I knew that had those were:

1. Doctors

2. Drug dealers/thugs

I think this is because the cell phone came so rapidly after the invention of the pager. By the time pagers started doing two-way messaging, cell phones were starting to take off.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I had forgotten Lycos!! And it was one of the biggies before Google as well - shame on me!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Here's a fun one...

I was watching a movie the other day and the main character got himself into a bind. I said out loud, "WHY doesn't he just pull out his phone and call her?!"

Then I remembered, the movie was from 1986 -- people didn't have personal cell phones back then.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

A lot of people in the service industry had them too, like IT techs and whatnot when they were on call, they'd just pass one pager off between them when it was their night.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Nothing like getting online in the early dial-up days via GEnie. And getting bumped from the net if someone called. Don't really have to worry about getting knocked offline much anymore, it's pretty constant for the most part today. But back in the early 90's, my brother got knocked offline by calls all the time. Once, he made sure he called everyone he knew, made sure everyone else called everyone they knew, and told them DO NOT CALL US. For 2 days, through the cheap hours & expensive hours of internet billing, he was happily downloading some program he'd be waiting & waiting for. Just a few minutes before the end of the download, someone called, knocked him offline & the download canceled. I think his shriek of "NOOOOOO!" was heard throughout Florida & possibly southern Georgia XD

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Just thought of a couple more:

Cigarette vending machines in pubs bars and clubs.
And who remembers those dangerous Mercury bubble puzzles from the 80's?
I had loads, you couldn't imagine letting young kids play with one now!

...wish I still had one, they were cool as

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You lot sound like these guys

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Anyone still remember Kazaa?

That was THE spot for pirating music and stuff in the early 2000's. I remember I had it on my dialup, and the MAIN draw was that it could resume downloading a file if I got knocked offline by a phone call. I still remember the first song I ever downloaded. "Closing Time" by SemiSonic.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I have and still use a rotary phone.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Do you remember dogpile? It searched multiple search engines!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Anyone still remember Kazaa?

That was THE spot for pirating music and stuff in the early 2000's. I remember I had it on my dialup, and the MAIN draw was that it could resume downloading a file if I got knocked offline by a phone call. I still remember the first song I ever downloaded. "Closing Time" by SemiSonic.

Kazaa and Kazaa Lite I believe were the ones....and yes, I remember them well.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

DOS!!!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I remember Kazza, but a lot of people I knew used Songspy. I remember before Napster people traded music files via IRC (I think they still do).

I can still remember burning some of my first CDs at a friends house. We were super excited that you could MAKE your own CD! It took like 30 minutes at 4x to burn, but holy cow you could have a custom CD with the songs YOU chose!

AOL chat rooms...and the scripts you could get to flood the rooms.

I remember before real-time chat. You'd type your message and hit "submit" and then have to read the page after it refreshed.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This subject has really got me thinking!

DAT and Mini Discs - there was going to be a war over them as I recall, kinda like the VHS/Beta thing, and then CD's and MP3 came along and.... now they're niche things in recording studios.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join