It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Wood stove? Now that's ancient technology. I don't think many of us cooked on a wood stove but I won't say none of us did.
Me I learned to cook on electric and I still do today even though I have a natural gas connection at my house. Hot baths even when the power goes out ahhhhhh.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

We bought an older jeep last summer. No power anything. I laughed when hubby said well we don't need to worry about the electronics in the door to open the Windows. I had to remind him that those handles fell off with regular frequency.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Wood stove? Now that's ancient technology.

It's why southern homes were built the way they were - you had the living area on one side, a dog trot up the middle, and the kitchen by itself, because the wood stove would have kept the house too hot if it were one building.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
I miss special Christmas TV, now that its drowned out in thousands of channels. It used to be an occasion - now its an also ran.

Also - as an avd trekkie - there are 10 year old kids who have grown up without a current Star Trek series on TV.

I also miss genuine pub-quizzes, where no one could cheat because smart phones weren't invented.

Lastly, I miss genuine sport where money didn't do all the talking.

I remember my dad coming home from work, relaxing on the Lazy-Z-Boy and putting Trek on and falling asleep with the remote on his lap. I'd sneak in and change the channel and he'd exclaim, "I WAS WATCHING THAT!" I'd say, "Dad, you were asleep." And he'd say the say thing every time. "I was watching it behind my eyelids." Thanks to him, I became a Trekkie. LOL I just recently had a stray cat that didn't purr, she made Tribble noises. Cutest thing ever. I would imitate her to make her come to me. Eventually she took off. I loved that cat. She thought she was a dog. She played fetch, dug holes, chased cars. Best cat I ever owned.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

Which was followed by some nice sounding guy saying "You've got mail"...

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: vonspurter

Nice ones. The pencil/tape one made me laugh.

Here's one for the ages:

I used to help my brother learn on his.

link   
Man, I haven't seen a payphone in forever. Back in the '90s, a way to get around having to plunk money in one for us was to collect call someone in town, then have them call the payphone's number back. That was SOP for some of the poorest kids in town who's parents couldn't afford a home landline, worked like a charm.

Speaking of payphones, we went in to a vintage & antiques shop a while back. They had a very old, but well-cared for, British phone booth in there for sale. It was actually pretty awesome, in full working order just waiting to be bought & hooked up somewhere. Our kids just stared at it in utter confusion. After a few minutes of scratching their heads, they asked why anyone would buy a box with glass windows. Hubby told them, "it's a phone booth..." "A what?" "Phone booth, people used to go in, shut the door, put money in the machine & call people when they weren't at home." "Well THAT'S dumb, why didn't they just get a cell phone?" ROTFL. The 2000's kids, I swear.

One of these days, we'll really wig 'em out & get an old rotary brick -- i mean phone. They were just as confused with a corded landline phone once, an old rotary ought to really confuse them.
edit on 5/26/2015 by Nyiah because: I see it's going to be yet another Typo Day...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
She thought she was a dog. She played fetch, dug holes, chased cars. Best cat I ever owned.

My Dad did that to a cat. It would come when called, fetch (small) balls, and try to play tug with a rag.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Hubby told them, "it's a phone booth..." "A what?" "Phone booth, people used to go in, shut the door, put money in the machine & call people when they weren't at home." "Well THAT'S dumb, why didn't they just get a cell phone?" ROTFL. The 2000's kids, I swear.

I've read comments on YouTube on old sci-fi movies, like Forbidden Planet.

"The CGI was AWFUL"

SMH.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

How about a coffee pot that doesn't plug into a socket. You guys remember a percolator?

Cooking on a wood stove.

Going to the general store and all the old guys sitting around the wood stove in the winter.

Having the neighbors be able to snatch you up and whup your butt if they caught you doing something wrong, and then you getting another dose when you got home.

Smokehouses.

Refrigerators with big lever handles that you could become trapped in. And if you got your hand shut in one, it was like the wringer washer. Metal ice trays your hands would stick to if you grabbed one with wet hands.

Rotary dial phones. Jiffy-pop popcorn. Airplane glue that worked.

I live in an apartment building where refrigerators and stoves are provided. One old gentlemen brought his refrigerator with him and it was one of the trap-door fridge's as I call them. The one you described. It was run ragged, but some clean up and paint and it would look good as new. (And our stores here still sell jiffy pop. Call me old fashioned, but it's one of my favorite popcorns.)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Or just having to type "go" on the screen to open a program. I started playing DOOM when it was a DOS system. Use the arrow keys to move around. A mouse lived in your walls not on your desk.
TV'S that are twenty inches deep with the picture tube. Tv's without circuit boards and nothing but tubes inside. Used to look like some mad scientists laboratory.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ahhhhh , Party lines I can remember. Also the GPO Man arriving to hard wire the phone to the wall socket.
Early Cable Tv in the Uk? REDIFFUSION anyone? Having to walk over to the rotary dial on the wall to change between the 3 channels. On the same note, the closing music atbghe end of a night's Telly watching.
C.B. radio any everyone's hatred for Buzby.

www.rediffusion-television.co.uk...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

m.youtube.com...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Wood stove? Now that's ancient technology.

It's why southern homes were built the way they were - you had the living area on one side, a dog trot up the middle, and the kitchen by itself, because the wood stove would have kept the house too hot if it were one building.

In the north, we had the 'summer kitchen', a room that was attached to the kitchen off one end of the farmhouse. The woodfired cookstove was moved from the kitchen into the summer kitchen in the late spring when the weather turned warm. It kept the temperatures in the house tolerable when all the cooking was done on a woodfired cookstove.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Black and white TV WITHOUT remote capability.

TV going offline at night time:

edit on 30531America/ChicagoTue, 26 May 2015 11:30:47 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
Black and white TV WITHOUT remote capability.

TV going offline at night time:

My dad actually BUILT us a TV by hand. It took him 7 years because he had to keep locking his bedroom. Us kids kept getting in there and taking it apart or breaking pieces off. He built the remote and everything. The remote had 5 buttons. The on/off, channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down. It was about 35 inches, which was huge in the late 70's early 80's. By the time my dad bought a new TV, we used the TV for Nintendo, Sega, etc... The guy was genius really. It was all Radio Shack parts except the TV tube, I think.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I live in a 101 year old house in Virginia. No dog run but the kitchen is just a tiny room off the back of the house and the original plans in the town records shows an outhouse off the back door. A lovely maple tree takes its place now. There are some things in the house I don't know what they were for like a thin chain that hangs from a pully system next to the stairs that go to the basement.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I live in a 101 year old house in Virginia. No dog run but the kitchen is just a tiny room off the back of the house and the original plans in the town records shows an outhouse off the back door. A lovely maple tree takes its place now. There are some things in the house I don't know what they were for like a thin chain that hangs from a pully system next to the stairs that go to the basement.

Probably a damper pulley for a coal fireplace.....so you didn't have to go downstairs whenever you wanted to open or close it to adjust the heat.
edit on 5/26/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

link   
I remember when my dad came home from work one day with a Commodore 64 Vic 20. No one else gave a crap, but my brother and I, we were in our element. We programmed so many games into that thing. We spent weeks programming it, now all of a sudden everyone wanted to play it. LOL

W were just as thrilled when our dad got us a ping pong table for the basement too. If we weren't on the Commodore, were playing ping pong kicking each other's butts. LOL

link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Going offline. Now that's a totally modern phrase. I remember when the thirteen channels we got (13 not even...some numbers didn't have a network at all) went off at night but not before playing the star spangled banner first. What patriots we used to be.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I certainly can't forget about the Britannica wall in one of our rooms. My dad still has them all so we can teach our grand-kids our "internet" while growing up.

Everything else I can think of has been brought up here...

except rusty metal playgrounds.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join