It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Image Source:
www.pinterest.com...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Dont forget the spectrum 48k and the cassette games lol the sound of that loading up was a pain,would post a picture but on a phone ATM 😎a reply to: Vasa Croe

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Jet powered Sinclair C5.

Rather him than me.

edit on 26-5-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The mid to late sixties was a time of extremely fun/dangerous toys, too:

We had wood burning sets, which was a big soldering iron you could get second degree burns with.

And there was the Incredible Edibles/Creepy Crawler kit, which got hot enough to remove hide if you touched the wrong part by mistake.

Oh, and anyone have gas floor heaters? You step on it with bare feet on the way to the bathroom, you get a waffle pattern burned into the sole of your foot.

And I would expect most of you guys haven't used an outhouse. We had plumbing but my grandparents and great uncles/aunts didn't.

And wringer washers. I have run my little fingers through one more than once.

eta. Wells. Not the nice electric sort. We still had a working crank-up well, although it was filled in long ago. I wish they had kept it. I remember the water being the best tasting water you ever had, cold and somehow more satisfying than the tap water. Especially if you picked a few leaves of the mint that grew around the well and rubbed them up before dropping them into the communal tin cup/ladle thing that was tied to the bucket.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yeah....that looks safe.....HA!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
God there are tons of things of the recent past that have been forgotten, and I should think that 99% of them have one thing in common, technical evolution...
But I still hear a lot of busy signals in my line of work (I work a lot with Africa...)

Ball in a computer mouse that you had to clean
Tube TV's that gave out static electricity when you rubed up them, and that glowed in the dark when you turned them off
In Europe the toll booth ladies when you paid for the motorway
Kids collecting Panini cards
Those infinite cassettes that you used to put in your car radio so you could plug your Walkman in
Not being able to ring or receive calls on your landline while you were using dialup internet
The day when looking for the naughty stuff on internet was quite hard, and It took 10 minutes to download a 1mo photo lol.
Oh and in the old days (lol) when people were on time for their Rendezvous', as they couldn't easily contact the person by phone to say that they would be late

I could go on for hours probably...
edit on 26-5-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Oh, another one.

That feeling of buying a phone card because you couldn't afford long distance rates.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeSbO
Tube TV's that gave out static electricity when you rubed up them, and that glowed in the dark when you turned them off

Did you ever discover you could tape a piece of aluminum foil to the screen, turn off the TV, and the next person to touch it would get knocked on their butts?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Oh, another one.

That feeling of buying a phone card because you couldn't afford long distance rates.

That's why you called person to person code talk.

"I'd like to speak to Mr Bragg" - I just got my furlough and I'm coming home.

LOL

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Being able to listen to Deutsche Welle on your old Hammarlund tube rig with the long wire strung out across the pasture, and get news hours before the TV got it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Nope never tried that lol, and I never will be able to now ...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

And there was the Incredible Edibles/Creepy Crawler kit, which got hot enough to remove hide if you touched the wrong part by mistake.

I had that, and I loved it (I think mine went by the brand name "Fright Factory").

I also survived playing with lawn darts.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

I read a story not long ago about a young girl who's phone had died . She needed a phone t o contact her mother. Someone brought her to a nearby pay phone and she just stared at the device. Finally she asked,"how do you text on this"
How about a coffee pot that doesn't plug into a socket. You guys remember a percolator?
You put the pot on the stove and brought the water to a simmer then it went up a tube and dripped down over the grounds that were in a basket. Coffee making used to take skill to know what temperature and how long to brew. Now it's a no brainer. Pop in a k cup push the button for your size cup.
Dials of any kind. To change the channel on the tv. To turn on the heat. Everything now is push a button or click on an icon.
Oh and there's another. Click used to be a sound now it's a verb.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Bedlam

I had that, and I loved it (I think mine went by the brand name "Fright Factory").

I also survived playing with lawn darts.

LOL! Yard Darts....my brother and I both survived those too. Marketing genius, but complete product fail.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Those kids that will never understand why their grandparents call the remote control "The Clicker" because when they were first introduced, they made quite the audible CLICK sound when a button was pressed.

Oh and cable boxes you'd attached to your TV so your old TV could go past channel 13.

edit on 26-5-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Digital cameras are still a big thing. No phone or internet included. Film is becoming a thing of the past as well as printed photographs. Everything is stored digitally these days.
A fax machine that was close to magic in the eighties is now obsolete with digital imaging.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
How about a coffee pot that doesn't plug into a socket. You guys remember a percolator?

Cooking on a wood stove.

Going to the general store and all the old guys sitting around the wood stove in the winter.

Having the neighbors be able to snatch you up and whup your butt if they caught you doing something wrong, and then you getting another dose when you got home.

Smokehouses.

Refrigerators with big lever handles that you could become trapped in. And if you got your hand shut in one, it was like the wringer washer. Metal ice trays your hands would stick to if you grabbed one with wet hands.

Rotary dial phones. Jiffy-pop popcorn. Airplane glue that worked.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: Vasa Croe

How about this.

I bought mine in 1985 and no matter how many times I dropped it, sucker still works like a charm! I just gave it to my sister as well as some of my tapes. Best $150 I ever spent! (BTW, Vasa, I still get busy signals on my cell phone when I call my daughter's place.)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

We had that cable box in the late 60s. My cousin worked for cablevision back then and altered ours with what he called a potentiometer so we got channels we weren't subscribed to.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Here's one.. The Smoky Bar.

I remember when it changed because I was in the mountains, and it was snowing or icing sideways everyday... Those were some cold times.. It also quickly changed your groups of friends into the smokers and non smokers.. Most everybody has quit now though.

North Carolina’s new smoke-free law prohibits smoking in many public places. As of January 2, 2010, enclosed
areas of almost all bars and restaurants must be smoke-free. Under the new law, smoking is also not allowed in
most enclosed areas of lodging establishments, such as hotels, motels, and inns,
if the establishment prepares
and serves food or drink.

Linky
edit on 26-5-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join