It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Those are still available, just more advanced.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Skid Mark

I wonder why they'd put it on the floor? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. . .

Because micro switches for multifunction switches didn't exist. It was deemed easier to use your foot, to not distract your hands from driving, by reaching for a switch on the dash. That was the only other alternative.

Plus, it was a high amperage switch, was rather hard to push.
edit on 27-5-2015 by poncho1982 because: typo

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: Anyafaj

I remember esso gas. They became Exxon.

Yes, and they had the "Put a tiger in you tank" campaign. You could get a "tiger tail" and attach it to your car antenna.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
In the UK we still have Esso service stations, we call 'gas' petrol. We have milkmen that still deliver milk in glass bottles with foil tops though they deliver other things now too like groceries and garden items, and we have mostly non automatic cars with clutch pedals for gears.

Where the hell do you live?...Here?:

If so, say hello to No. 6 for me. Be seeing you.

edit on 5/27/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

LOL....where is that?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yes. We want information.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Wow, an engaged/busy line tone is a thing of the past?! I guess mobile/cell phones have the voice "not available" rather than the beep. Interesting.. I still hear the busy tone quite often - Home phones/landlines are still common place... right?!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Yes. We want information.

I believe I found it....another reference to things of the past....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Wow, an engaged/busy line tone is a thing of the past?! I guess mobile/cell phones have the voice "not available" rather than the beep. Interesting.. I still hear the busy tone quite often - Home phones/landlines are still common place... right?!

Not where I am....most have VoIP through internet provider or just their cell phone. Neither of which produce a busy signal....always a VM.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

en.wikipedia.org...

The Prisoner is a 17-episode British television series first broadcast in the United Kingdom from 29 September 1967 to 1 February 1968. Starring and co-created by Patrick McGoohan, it combined spy fiction with elements of science fiction, allegory, and psychological drama.

The series follows a British former secret agent who is abducted and held prisoner in a mysterious coastal village resort

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm so old, I remember when a hashtag was a pound sign!!!!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yep. That's it. Kind of a freaky show.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Coronet Blue.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Things seem to get old fashioned more and more quickly nowadays.How recently was it that Compact Flash memory cards were the only solid state storage we could get,and every MP3 player,camera and sat nav used them.Now everything is almost exclusively SD memory cards and their bulky old CF grandfathers are a relic from a bygone era.

I still have one of these microdrives somewhere.........

From the days when 1gb was a LOT of memory as 'normal' CF cards had a whopping 256mb.What a fantastic piece of engineering to fit a reliable hard disc drive into a case just 1 inch across.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx
I remember when this was breaking technology:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I remember my first attempt at loading up Arena from Bethesda Software on my spiffy new Windows 3.1 machine... the game required 607K out of the 640K memory we had back in the day.

Only way to play the game was to make a boot disk that only loaded a mouse driver... anything else would drop you below the 607K requirement.

Had a friend who was a computer programmer make me a workable boot disk just to play that game.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Using BASIC as it's OS wasn't it?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

VA beach is near but not right here. I have to drive about 40 miles. I doubt they deliver across the river.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

Really? How 'bout that. I wonder if Sinclair is still operating somewhere in the world. They used to have those big green brontasaurus in their bigger stations.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

That's to turn on the high beams.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join